How Would You Improve this Messaging? [Constructive Criticism Only Please]

I agree that this all is way too long, and possibly still too long.
And I thought my 2 messages at 351 words at 1st communication, when request comes in, and 316 words upon confirm are a little long! They do include reiteration of the few important rules, and ask the guests to confirm they read everything in the listing, which is probably too wordy for most folks here too<><> :rofl:
After that I text one day before to confirm arrival time and send note about foods we provide.

2 Likes

Well, Just looked at @PitonView 's listing and I felt embarrassed that he uses so few words to describe such a grand place while I use so many to describe . . . a nice but humble place.

Yes, I still have work to do!

1 Like

Wow, incredibly wordy & off putting. If I were a guest, I wouldn’t read any of it. I hope your house rules & manual aren’t as long… Shorten it to maybe one paragraph.

Let me stand up right now for @muddy 's comments. She got to the point, admittedly blunt – yes, somewhat off-putting – but this is a collaboration here, Of course, she could have shortened it [I wish she would have] but we need to make allowances. Please try to be nice.

1 Like

@HostAirbnbVRBO It’s a pdf document that we uploaded to Google Drive. You can make the link private to only those you send it to. It’s the same document that we leave in our rentals. This is what our first message response to a new booking looks (link included), 2nd msg “key code instructions”, 3rd with “how is everything” and 4th “check-out instructions” - are much much shorter.

Hi !

Thank you again for booking Cast Away Cottage!

A few items/reminders for your upcoming stay:

Check-in: anytime after 4PM on .
Check-out: anytime before 11AM on .

We require names of ALL guests (maximum 6 NO EXCEPTIONS – INCLUDING children and infants) that will be staying at the Cottage as well as any visitors that may be on the property during your visit.

Well behaved, house trained pets (Maximum (1) small dog) NO EXCEPTIONS are welcomed at Cast Away Cottage. Please advise us prior to your booking. Pets ARE NOT allowed on furnishing or in/on beds. Please collect and dispose of your pets waste. Please make us aware of any damage or mishaps.

Smoking, Vaping or tobacco of any kind is not permitted inside the cottage.

Please respect the neighbours and keep the noise down after 10PM.

Please respect ALL Hot Tub rules located in the Guidebook (link attached) - especially NO LOTIONS or liquids of any kind as it upsets the water chemistry.

Check any Provincial regulations before fishing and using ATV and Snowmobile trails.

Please check the New Brunswick Burn Ban info on-line or phone before lighting any camp fires. NO FIRES IF PROVINCE IS RED!

Disclosure: as noted in the booking details, Cast Away Cottage has 24/7 video surveillance on the exterior of the property.

We will send a further message closer to your check-in with keypad entry details.

Link attached is a Guidebook for Cast Away Cottage with further info:

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Cast Away looks forward to hosting you!

Cheers,
Duane & Joanne

2 Likes

I almost commented on this a few days ago but deleted it because I didn’t want to come off as rude. I’m in the camp that if I received these messages, I would cancel the booking. I also understand that you are trying to be helpful and thorough, which I appreciate, but as someone with anxiety (and zero OCD) this would be so overwhelming. I like the suggestion to but “I am a meticulous host and expect meticulous guests” in your listing, so that you are up front about your expectations of them.

I also think a guidebook is a great idea if you want this level of detail and intructions. We use Hostfully and send to booked guests. Sometimes I’ll follow up with them to see if they had any questions about it, but, 99% of the time, I don’t think they read it and don’t mind. You’d probably want to just have something in writing confirming they read it.

I also, and this is just my opinion, scheduled messages are off-putting in general. I don’t think it takes much more time to have a personal conversation with guests, before, during, and after their stay. I’ll sometimes ask for kids’ interests and make sure we have a book in our library for them and lay it out. Or if they give a nugget about “oh little Jack is so excited to see the dolphins!” I’ll buy a dolphin balloon as a surprise. Always ask for dogs’ names so they get a little welcome note from our golden retriever warning them not to swallow too much salt water.

But mostly, I’m a big proponent of “If they need to know something, they’ll ask”.

2 Likes

Airbnb has a saved messages option that I use. I just cut and paste and edit to fit that booking. I agree with you about the personal touch but I also think Airbnb is getting less personal all the time.

I use Airbnb as a guest and I have hosts who don’t even message me to acknowlege I booked. I have hosts who don’t leave me a review and I guarantee I was a stellar guest. I have guests who book but don’t answer any of my messages. It is what it is but messaging is starting to seem like a waste of time.

Honestly this reads more like a bit of a humble-brag than something useful. It also sounds like a host that is way, way too attached to the material objects in the house.

Let your guests show up and be pleasantly surprised by the fanciness, rather than show-boat it in an extremely wordy and tedious way. You’re turning luxury amenities into some kind of burden.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

As I wrote above I have made substantial changes, deleting the first message entirely, as well as #4 and #7, and greatly shortening the others. [I think #4 above was the most off-putting but let’s not debate whether #1 or #4 was worse; they’re both gone thanks to input from the group.]

I often don’t know much about the guests to personalize the message. But often I do. When I do I edit the scheduled message to personalize it. I could just keep it as a saved message, but I schedule it in case I somehow forget; I usually get to personalize the scheduled message.

VRBO does not have a scheduled message feature. So there I have the remaining four messages, which I personalize to the extent I have the information.

We do have a House Manual that we provide, as well as a guidebook spiral bound and printed in color with pictures. I’m in the process of editing the House manual, adding pictures as well as an index and table of contents. [We just had a guest ask if we had a step stool; we do, in the hall closet and that will be in the guidebook’s index.] Right now the House Manual is just printed in B&W but will eventually be spiral bound with color pictures.

We do the same when we know. For example, people often stay here for the Boston Marathon. We bought a Boston Marathon ‘thing’ for their shoe laces. Or a guest with her daughter came for the Ringo concert, we bought her a Ringo bag. Someone coming for a child’s graduation gets a personalized graduation card. We’re on the same page with you to a greater extent than it might first appear.

Maybe so. But I’m not so sure. We just had a guest leave with whom we had multiple interactions during their stay for this reason or that. When they left, saying that they’d like to come back again later this month, they mentioned as a by the way that there was no hot water! Well, I’m amazed that they had not mentioned that earlier. With each interaction I asked how things were going and they never mentioned it (turns out I had inadvertently shut it off). But we have had several guests who mentioned things only on checkout that could easily have been resolved if mentioned earlier. THAT was the impetus of at least message #5 (message after check-in).

Luckily none of these guests but one docked us any points but it amazes me how some guests just don’t ask. But my takeaway is to edit the House manual rather than put things in messages.

Thanks again for your input and your consideration in making your comments.

While there seem to certainly be guests who only mention something you could have addressed during the stay when they check out or in the review, it’s possible that you don’t get alot of info or questions from guests because you have been bombarding them with all these lengthy messages.

Guests are much more likely to mention their own plans and ask questions if messages between you are brief and friendly/chatty. I.e. establish a rapport rather than try to convey a ton of information.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve considered that possibility.

I wonder whether a moderator @KKC should close the thread because I’ve received a lot of input, most all of which I’ve incorporated. We’re getting posts now repeating the same thing because – and I understand this is a long thread – they haven’t read the intervening posts.

Again I am thankful for everyone’s input. This thread is a great example of the value of this community.

I know it’s a long thread but the message you’re referring to is one I’ve deleted based on the feedback from the group.

I wasn’t replying to you, I was replying to @jane1234 's post.

good evening,
As someone who has taught neurodiverse individuals, I can fully understand the author’s need for detailed descriptions. If I may, I would like to offer a different perspective.
I question whether in the end it really matters whether you, as host, write 3 lines or 3 pages of notes to your awaited guests. The crux of the matter is that you are going to worry regardless (have they found x, will they use x correctly and safely, have they put x back in the correct place for future guests). While for all of us as hosts these are important issues, this may especially add extra stress for you.

My suggestion would be to simplify your home. For example have one regular run of the mill coffee maker and provide a common supermarket blend coffee. I have stayed in airbnbs all over the globe and the norm is salt and pepper as far as spices go. If the homemaker or previous guest happened to leave garlic/Onion powder, chili or paprika…I was delighted but it was never something I expected. If I wanted something special, I would buy it.
All your reasons for why you have set up your garden as you have are environmentally sound and I applaud you for it ( and I would love to see it since I am experimenting with various types of ground cover to see which will suit our climate best). I was constantly telling my grandchildren not to trample on the newly planted moss, but then I had to let it go. I realized if the moss could not stand up to them then no, it was not the suitable choice for the area. As my husband pointed out, if this was going to stress me out, perhaps just go back to grass in this area until the munchkins are older.

That is my point to you. I know you want to make your guests as comfortable as possible but first think of at what cost to you. So perhaps look at other airbnb listings and see what people who have excellent reviews offer. Then go through your rental with a close friend who can be objective in selecting what should stay/go or bb modified. The objective is certainly a clean and comfortable home but most important is a low stress level for you.
I hope my take off the matter was not way out field.

5 Likes

My friend and neighbor who has diagnosed OCD, built her house with 2 large extra bedrooms on the lower level (her living space is upstairs), with their own private entrances, ensuite bathrooms, outfitted with kitchenettes, planning to Airbnb them.

She had one or two guests, couldn’t stand anyone else being in her home, even though they were downstairs and she didn’t even have to interact with them, couldn’t stand them “messing up” the room, even though they didn’t leave a mess at all, felt she had to tiptoe around all the time, and decided that hosting wasn’t for her. So now she has these two large rooms, beautifully outfitted, which just sit there empty save for the occasional friend who comes to visit.
But she can’t even handle having a good friend around for more than a week, max.

If I go over to visit, and we sit on the outside bench, that I made the cushions and covers for ( Heavy duty Sunbrella fabric, which can easily be sponged clean) and I tuck my clean feet up under me, which is the way I’ve been most comfortable sitting all my life, she tells me to put my feet down.

I sympathize with her issues, and I love her, but it’s hard to be made to feel like you’re always bound to do something “wrong”.

She told me she used to drive her now deceased husband crazy because she would never let him climb in bed unless he had just stepped out of the shower. He’d say, “Honey, I just showered before we went to dinner. I put on clean clothes, we rode in our clean air-conditioned car to the air-conditioned restaurant, ate dinner, and drove home. I haven’t gotten dirty or sweaty, I’m still clean”.

“I don’t care, you’re not getting in this bed until you shower.”

1 Like

I didn’t get past the 3rd message. I was being diligent reading your first one, skimmed the second one, and then the 3rd one had check-in info. don’t you just pre-fill the check-in section with photos in the app? way easier than another long message.
When I saw there was going to be more stuff to read I skimmed it, then gave up.

the advice from @FiZ also is excellent. I stayed with a host in CA who was an internet friend (and now a real friend) and she is def on the spectrum, and her guest manual was insanely long, as were her pre-check-in messages and some of the things she expected were bordering on unrealistic (like: don’t sit on my white couch in your new denim jeans). After meeting her, and now being a host myself, I can see how this happened. She is a perfectionist, and her place was perfect, but her rules were just a bit over the top.

re: spices. I personally wouldn’t mention them all, are you checking them regularly for freshness and whether they’ve gone hard. seems to me you are OverPromising and might just underwhelm an excited guest. I agree that it’s better to offer up a more simple offering and then wow every guest with how much more you’ve actually got for them.

I send a msg on booking saying “thank you, you’ve booked for X number of guests on this [arrival date]” really that msg is all about making sure the correct # of guests is booked.
2 days before arrival i have a “here’s what we have, it’s all good, but also no smoking, and we have dogs” type thing. then on arrival day I have a “here’s what’s not in the manual [new stuff] plus also another reminder about no smoking, and the dogs might greet you”. then on morning of check out i have some basic instructions + thanks.

3 Likes

Good morning Muddy,

It seems you don’t understand neurodiversity…the fact that you felt it necessary to mention your input on the cushions plus your changing font. Moreover I would venture that many who are not on the spectrum may find it off-putting that you deem it acceptable to put your feet up.

I fail to see how your personal rant about a neighbour is helpful to our author at this point. I find it insulting and offensive.

1 Like

Too long, too much. If your guests bother to read any of it,you are lucky. I gave up half way through the first one and only glanced at the others.

1 Like

Re squeegees.

I stayed multiple times in a lovely home in a nearby city. Per messaging, the host was genial and seemed pretty laid back.

Except, there was a sign by the shower. “Water spots are evil! Squeegee the shower after use.” Even though the host used humor, how I began to resent that sign at about the third stay, almost irrationally. I wanted to be on my way after showering, not checking multiple glass and tile surfaces for stray spots. I’m not the cleaner. NOT MY JOB! There are products and methods to remove spots.

Whew! Don’t know why that sent me around the bend, but it did.

3 Likes

Then you might not pass the test.

Just kidding.

You are right, of course. As a result of numerous comments that message and another have been deleted, and others shortened.

Instead, I now have a mandatory 45 minute face-to-face orientation session, including fire drill – like on a cruise. I hired an ex-Marine to run it. So far, no complaints. So I think I fixed this.

I jest yet again.