How to write review for guest who broke house rules and law

I agree it is way too long.

You can easily summarise and get your points across much more succinctly.

To be honest, if I saw a host review like this and others like it, it would probably put me off booking. Not because you were honest about what the guest was like, but because of the way in which it is written.

3 Likes

Yes, I was emotional when writing this & even thinking of it in detail makes me upset again. It is difficult for me to think objectively about it after putting so much personal effort, attention, and thought into how I manage, run, and ensure I’m providing people what they expect… I easily spend 2 to 3 hours per day managing online and visiting in person.

Probably could use some editing re: length. The play by play is likely unnecessary, probably could be more succinct. Admittedly, I haven’t read over the content guidelines - but I have mentioned Airbnb involvement in nearly every bad review I’ve ever written - I wasn’t aware this isn’t allowed, but for what its worth they have never removed my reviews. I just searched review history and found this one I wrote several years back - its still up:

Most guests on Airbnb understand they are borrowing another person’s home and treat it with respect and care. Of the three years I have been a host on Airbnb, I can say unfortunately – is the rare guest that I would not host again. She did not communicate with me upon her arrival. After I contacted her the morning of her second day did she respond to me and then report that the main mirror in my bathroom had broken. She was reluctant to allow me to come into the unit to inspect the damages. After she checked out, the apartment was left in a very bad and unclean condition. The bed’s duvet cover was ruined with red stains, as was the set of sheets, there was food left all over the apartment including in the bed and rubbed into the sheets. In addition, against my stated house rules, she left two windows open in my bottom floor unit apartment with the AC still on. She then refused to accept responsibility and pay for the damages she caused. I had to request for Airbnb to intervene in the resolution and they decided to award compensation for the damages against her security deposit. In as much, I would not recommend her to any potential host or ever host her again.

1 Like

You’re likely right, I need to give it a better look once I’ve had more time to process it - that should help narrow it down.

I think I understand what you are saying - is it a matter of my delivery, like the tone of the review that is off putting?

Just found another one, two years back, where I had also mentioned Airbnb’s involvement.

I recently hosted — and her friends at my apartment in South Beach. They left the apartment is good condition. There was a slight hiccup with — not listing all her guests on the reservation and therefore not paying the proper price. The reservation amendment I submitted to her was not completed during her stay, but after her check out Airbnb become involved and took corrective action. Its always best to disclose the proper number of guest, not just for payment issues, but to allow the host to make an informed decision about how many people they want in their apartment at any given time.

NO!!! You can’t say this! It’s mentioning the case and they will remove it.

Describe the situation and the guest ONLY. Do not mention the case!!!

Maybe its just my tone, or frank directness that some could find off-putting? My thought process is along this line: if a guest behaves in a negative/rude manner, leaves my apartment in a condition that requires more cleaning than usual, or just give me a headache - that is something as a host I would have wanted to know in advance, not learn the hard way by having someone like them in my apartment and creating anxiety for me and my maids. So in the same line of thinking, if I as a host were to see this in a review - I would certainly not host this guest. And opposite perspective, in the same line, as a potential guest that may read a host leaving these type of reviews - well I would know exactly the type of person I’m choosing to rent from and would know in advance what to expect should I violate the rules.

Here is another bad review I wrote, last year:

------ and his companion were very particular and picky, not the type of guests I would care to host again. Upon their late night arrival, around 11pm, ---- contacted me complaining of a smell he described as nauseating. After inquiring about it further I decided to pay him a visit. Upon my visit, it was determined the smell was a wall plug in lavender scented air freshener. In addition, ----- complained to me that there were spots on the stainless steel dishwasher face, dust in the tracks of the window sills, & splash markings on the wall nearest the sink. He then both suggested I have the apartment re-painted and remarked he may just be picky. I had the maid sent back over the following day to address these three specific issues.

That is because the guest probably didn’t contest it.
If you mention the case and the guests contest it, they will remove it.

Don’t do it is my advice.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! I really need to read over the review standards.

1 Like

Things have changed as well as far as their review content standards. And if the guest didn’t contest it no one will notice and they won’t remove it.

I speak from experience! Yes. Review those guidelines before posting. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Thank you, I will for sure.

1 Like

To tell the truth, the most notable bits of value to me as a host in your initial review were these sentences (as modified):

“I visited the apartment and found it completely trashed, garbage and bottles left strewn all over the apartment…and a strong lingering smell of marijuana inside with three of the five windows having been left open while the AC running. Never in my 6 years hosting on Airbnb have I experienced a guest so blatantly and routinely violating rules after being spoken to directly about it.”

All the other inflammatory verbiage did was turn me off…to the host.

5 Likes

This looks really good @SandyToes . I would add a line about the undisclosed guests being invited onto the listing contrary to your house rules., even after she had committed to not doing this.

4 Likes

Yes, for sure…I missed it but that would be very important to me as a host.

They didn’t justify it. Just said that is what they would pay out.

I have never heard of ABB justifying a pay out.

1 Like

Surely they should, if they pay significantly less than the damage costs to repair.

@Chrissie

How do you justify the unjustifiable?

This could be said of the current state of American politics. :rofl:

3 Likes

Well, she has since left me a review. Guess I’ll have to wait to post mine to see what she claims about her experience. I have until Friday April 6th.

I’ve reviewed the Content Policy. I’m surprised they haven’t removed my reviews honestly - I guess its because, as you suggested, no one has reported them. Airbnb specifically prohibits “Content that refers to the details of an Airbnb investigation”