How to review a "meh" guest you want back (yes, there's a bit more to it)

I know… sigh… but she made Veruca Salt seem angelic. So I’m venting… I keep finding small, niggling messes that she left behind that irritate me all over again.

@casailinglady, I have to ask….taking into account all the detail of what she did (that won’t all necessarily go into the written review :wink:)…

If this list of transgressions is a 2* across the board, what line did she not cross that saved her from 1’s? Which thing got her from 3’s to 2’s?

I don’t think I’ve really thought about how objective these stars are…how we all weigh these stars according to our tolerance and interpretation.

I can’t find anything on ABB as a guide. Anyone else?

I just bought this but haven’t tried it yet

I have to ask @casailinglady, why was she allowed to complete her stay? I’ve seen better guests told to leave cheap motels.

It really puts the ho in Superho :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been puzzling over that myself. I can’t see myself putting up with such a person in my home for more than about half a day. The first time she took food to her room after being reminded that no food is allowed in the bedroom, I’d be telling her she needs to pack her bags and leave.

1 Like

If you want a guest out and ABB won’t support the eviction, does that mean you take.a cancellation hit and financial penalties? Risk suspension?

I cannot fathom why ABB was so unsupportive in what seems a clear case of a violation of their TOS by the guest?!

1 Like

I can’t either. ABB can really be bullies sometimes. I think we all know that getting CS from Airbnb is like a box of chocolates…

2 Likes

Really? That’s where you’re going? Calling me a ho? Are you out of your fucking mind?

How rude and what a cheap shot. I thought you were better than that. Fuck off.

1. Yes, ABB told me flat out BEFORE she arrived that I would face penalties if I canceled as it didn’t meet their capricious terms for IB SH cancelation.

2. I spoke to her daily. I tried to cancel during the stay and ABB DENIED me the cancelation for cause and again - I was hit with "If you cancel you’ll lose SH status (so what), not get paid, and possibly suspended.

When I pointed out that the guest was being sneaky and breaking HR, they said too bad.

1. I can’t prove she smoked. I think she flushed the butts. I CAN prove she had food in her room - I took photos during her stay and after she left.

2. As for booting her after the first infraction - I TRIED.

So those of you on my case, READ MY POSTS because now you’re like her - not reading and not paying attention.

I DIDN’T WANT HER IN THE FIRST PLACE. And it was all so insidious because she’s good at that twisty manipulative shit (that I called her on every second), that it was unpleasant but possibly, just possibly something that OTHER HOSTS MIGHT LET GO. Oh, ate in the bedroom, well, there’s a desk there and why not? Um, because I said so, that’s why.

I’m leaving an honest review at the last minute. As of today, she hasn’t left one. I don’t know how she got glowing reviews from other people, but she won’t darken my door again and I’m FURIOUS with ABB for bullying tactics that forced me to not only accept but keep this person.

Do you really, @JJD think I’m a pushover? My career spans 40+ years of being the only woman in the room. I know how to handle myself and make a point - sometimes even diplomatically. This isn’t one of those times.

Those types of people are really good at trying to make the other person feel like they’re in the wrong. She hated me because I stared her down every fucking day. And I hated every second of her stay. I know she scuttled out the door like her tail was on fire. I know, because I stood at the door when she ran. Ran to her Uber.

Even the cat didn’t like her. Wouldn’t take treats from her. And Bella is a treat lover.

Next time, I’ll take the hit. I’ve written to ABB about this, just to go on the record.

1 Like

I kind of like just that for the review…

9 Likes

I think you’ve completely misunderstood this but I don’t want to speak for @JJD.

4 Likes

Give them :japanese_ogre: :japanese_ogre: :japanese_ogre:, @casailinglady!!

…and I think @JJD was being funny but I thought you were being funny back. I’m confused now :thinking:

2 Likes

No.

Your inference is incorrect.

Though I do like this sailor-talking side of you. We should go drinking sometime. :grin:

Nope. That’s not what I was saying.

I was commenting on the way that Airbnb treats hosts. They should’ve let you toss out this guest without any penalties.

3 Likes

Shit. Damn. F*ck. Can I come now, too? :yum:

6 Likes

Did you check to see what type of rentals those were? If they were entire places, she may not have been objectionable like she was in a home-share. She might have left it a bit messy, but lots of hosts consider that normal.

And if there weren’t any rules like not eating in the bedroom, and no one else was being affected by her not cleaning up after herself in the kitchen, then there was likely no reason to leave a negative review.

If those reviews were from other home share hosts, well maybe she didn’t take an instant dislike to them and flout their rules- they may have been hosts who didn’t see through her manipulative M.O. and bristle at it.

Maybe she saw you as a “challenge” to play games with because she could easily tell you weren’t bamboozled by her. She might not do that to other hosts who don’t give her the side-eye.

1 Like

Don’t forget me. I can drink for England and swear for Yorkshire. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It sure seems like this guest got on your last nerve.

My style is to go with “confused look” for feedback in these sort of cases.

“For some reason, this guest seemed to have difficulty grasping and following house rules. We keep it really simple – check in and check out times; clean up after yourself in the kitchen; no food in the bedrooms; and no smoking. Somehow they didn’t understand the listing, our messages in response to their questions repeating the policies, and our conversations with them in the home repeating the policies again. We wish them safe travels. Our Airbnb would not be a good fit for them in the future.”

3 Likes

Here’s the thing - it was like the frog in the cold water finding out that they’re boiling after the heat’s been slowly turned up.

Slow burn, and constant. And I asked her if she wanted to leave.

1 Like

Yeah, I can understand that. And as you say, you tried to cancel and Airbnb decided that it’s fine to have a house guest who ignores all the simple, reasonable rules- you get to either suffer cancellation penalties or suffer an obnoxious guest. Because a crappy guest is much more important than a happy host. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ok you bunch of foul mouthed feckers, my OH is just about to head out with her friend for dinner, so get yourselves round here and you can try my latest find, an Oloroso produced by a Manzanilla bodega in Sanlúcar de Barrameda that I visited yesterday.

Not only is it excellent, it was only €3.60 per litre when bought straight from the cask, as opposed to around €13.00 for a a 70cl bottle. Of course I just had to buy a couple of litres…

I do realise that not only distance is an issue, but time also. It’s just before ten o’clock in the evening here, so I’ll wait up for a bit.

Fire up those broomsticks ladies :rofl:

JF

5 Likes

This kind of comment by you is skating very close to being deleted because you seem to be telling what the guest was ‘thinking’. Better:

Poor communication from guest and breaking of house rules. Would not host ever

3 Likes

I saw this tweet in response to an alert about some tools being stolen from a work truck and I thought of you.

4 Likes