How to let hosts know about their terrible bed?

I use unscented everything, on the basis that some guests may be allergic/sensitive so why not? All the linens come out smelling nice and clean.

1 Like

PLEASE let the host know privately! It’s not protecting a fellow host, it’s showing professional courtesy. Most of us have probably been dinged on something that’s caught us by surprise. Some guests are super sensitive to firmness of mattresses and smells (I, for one)—others not so much. But the squeaking! Yikes. As a host, I would really have appreciated a heads up on day 1, but since you let it slide, give him/her a break.

1 Like

I just now posted my review and left him a very detailed private message about the bed. One of the reasons I did not let him know while we were there, was it was such a short 2 night stay, that I did not see how a new bed could be purchased and brought in in a matter of a day. There would not have been a way to “fix” this situation. It wasn’t like it was a broken coffee pot that he could have run out and got a new one. I also figured that all the laundry was being done with the same scented detergent as even the spare sheets smelled the same.

I was not trying to “protect” the host by not writing a review. My reasoning for not reviewing was that this place was not really to my liking. There was nothing wrong with it except for the bed and the linens. It was just not my kind of place and the only reason we booked it was last minute at the end of our road trip. I wouldn’t pick it again, but i’m sure lots of other people would.

So my review is done. If one of you out there gets a private review about a bed, then it’s from me!

1 Like

LOL. I haven’t hosted a fellow forum member but I’d love to!

I guess it just seems like 90% of the laundry aisle is scented. These companies spend millions on research. I assume they know what people want.

A trip to the hospital and a new inhaler? Since the rise in scented everything, cases of asthma and allergies have skyrocketed.

1 Like

Scents are even a problem for me, so we use unscented everything. And our house rules specify no strong scents or perfumes in the house (I don’t remember the exact wording).

Scented laundry stuff, scented cleaning products, scented soaps—all a bad idea, in my opinion.

Far too many people, like me, are sensitive to them. Quite a few guests have mentioned that they booked with us because they could be assured of no use of scented stuff.

2 Likes

I have received that feedback, too, and it’s heartening! That and they can’t smell the cat. Whew! :wink:

3 Likes

THIS, a thousand gazillion times!

3 Likes

I had review three times about squeaky bed. Funny part was that all of them were left within one week . I have this bed for past 4 years. Besides that one week I never had any reviews about it. I think people read previous reviews and want to support each other.
Regarding your experience…sounds like you wanted to rough it a bit and though bed doesn’t have to be that uncomfortable but what uncomfortable for you might be totally fine for another person . I had comments about same bed be too soft or too hard. Detergent wouldn’t bother me at all .
I think private client will be sufficient

I try to sleep in each of my 3 rooms at least quarterly, on nights when I have no guests (I think it would freak out guests because I have my own place downstairs).

Before I opened, I slept in each of my Ikea beds after they were assembled to make sure they were acceptable.

1 Like

I’m really allergic to perfumes so I offer unscented no sulfate soups and shampoos to my guests. The only scent is use is a lemon oil based air deodorizer.

1 Like

Not my experience at all … but then, as a soap and toiletries maker I’m probably biased.

I make soaps in 6 different scents, all of them based on my own proprietary blends of essential oils and themed to reflect different aspects of Spain. I cut normal-sized soaps into three for guest soaps and leave two different soaps per guest in the apartments; I also say in the Manual that I have unscented soap available (well it has a smidgeon of Lavender EO to stop it smelling of, er, soap …) So far almost all guests have said how much they love the soaps, most take the leftover ones home and often buy more, and only one has asked for the unscented soap (to try for a facial soap - she then bought up most of my stock!)

I agree about scented detergents though, but I don’t think that’s so much of a thing over here - we now send sheets and duvet covers out to a laundry and I don’t detect any odour at all. I’ve just checked our own detergent and it says “Alpine” … well, I suppose it does have a faint pine-y small but it doesn’t seem to transfer to the washing itself.

I don’t think scents intrinsically are good or bad, apart from for those few people who are unfortunate enough to be truly allergic (and Essential Oils can contain just as many potential allergens as synthetic fragrance oils). It’s down to the quality of the ingredients and this sadly usually means the cost. I won’t be parted from my horribly expensive Jo Malone Earl Grey and Cucumber Cologne, which seems to disappear seconds after you apply it, but don’t give me sheets soaked in cheap fake Cherry Blossom!

Apologies for the rant … you got me on my favourite hobby horse!

2 Likes

I use to love perfumed and scented soaps, but after developing adult onset asthma and severe allergies at the age of 45, I can no longer tolerate it. Anything with a floral hint triggers allergies or an asthma attack. Many of my friends have had similar issues with tolerating scents as we age.

We have some very loud scented laundry detergents in the US, Gain being the worst IMO. I try to cater to the lowest common denominator, so it’s unscented and natural cleaning products for us.

When I travel I always bring my own hand soap, shower gel and shampoo. I find many of my guests do too and often don’t use the soaps and shampoos we leave for them.

One would think that anyone with severe allergies would. The products I supply (soap, shampoo) are scented. I provide a small indvidually wrapped bar of soap that I think is unscented (can’t check now as there are guests in the room). My question is, if I wanted to have some appropriate products available, what would you recommend?

I provide Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented

or Dial Pure and Natural - the Dial product does have a slight scent. I stock up when it’s on sale. We are a 3 bedroom whole house rental and leave one large bar for each stay. I would guess that 80% leave it untouched.

For detergent I use All Free and Clear

and Bounce fragrance free dryer sheets.

For shampoo I provide a combo - it’s not fragrance free, but not offensive:

For hand soap Method Free + Clear:

2 Likes

Thanks for that detailed reply with links, I appreciate it!

1 Like

@KKC Not sure if you’re aware of it or not but the EWG has several online searchable guides for both personal care and cleaning/home care products online. They grade and disclose based on multiple factors like SkinAllergies, Asthma/Respiratory, Cancer Risk, Developmental and Reproductive Toxicity and Environmental Impact (!). Everything in our house has been checked through their databases from the laundry detergent to my eye-liner. I don’t have any allergies but don’t want unnecessary exposure to toxins nor do I want to unnecessarily expose our water supply, etc.

It’s not as simple as buying some “Scent Free” or “Clear and Free” or a more “natural” brand as you’ll see that All Free & Clear detergent has a “D” rating and most “Method” and “Mrs Meyers” products are not very highly rated. There are lavender-scented hand soaps with excellent scores for asthma/respiratory issues and plenty of non-scented hand soaps with failing scores.

1 Like

Nope, not aware as I have very few allergies and scentitivies myself. There’s a few smells I hate and a few soaps I can’t use. I also can’t test smell more than one perfume at a time without getting a headache but that’s about it.

It’s good to have this info though, thanks.

1 Like

Then you may be interested in the environmental impact of different products :slight_smile:

1 Like