How to address situation?

Not sure if i’m just being picky. I had guests that just came out of my place & one of them (a guy) decided to take a pee on my park pad spot to the side of my place. I caught him on camera. No one else aside from them was around. There is a toilet in my airbnb. I thought that was just so odd…and a bit gross.
Should I address this with the guest. If so, what would be suggested?
TIA

We’ve had a thread on here before about this issue. My opinion is that it’s disgusting and in this case unnecessary. Some people, for reasons I don’t understand, seem to think it’s fine. As far as addressing it I think I’d probably decline to do so. You just happened to see him but men who do this don’t care, they will pee anywhere. Saying something would, sadly, probably make you seem like the oddball. If it bothers you a great deal then you could tell him to please not do it within sightlines of your cameras.

4 Likes

That’s disgusting! I don’t think you’re being picky at all, and I would absolutely mention it. I don’t want to walk through another person’s urine, nor do I want another guest walking through someone’s urine and tracking it into my house. I don’t know any grown men who think it’s okay to urinate in someone else’s yard. Now out in the woods while camping or hiking, that’s a different story. But not in someone’s yard!

4 Likes

I would just let it go, dogs pee everywhere and we walk through it. It’s not terribly civilized but we get these sorts when we open our doors to this business.

3 Likes

I too have caught a guest peeing on an outside cam. We had a laugh about it here and I think this is the place to vent and post about it. Let. It. Go.

RR

3 Likes

Exactly why I don’t allow pets at my AirBnB. :wink:

3 Likes

Also rather unsanitary!

1 Like

The question I asked myself when this happened on my property was would I have this guest again if I had not seen him pee and the answer was yes.

RR

I would not mention it in a public review. However, in the private feedback I would say something about it. In NYC it’s against the law so I’m sure it’s illegal in many places plus it’s unsanitary. What a pig!

2 Likes

IF you feel you MUST mention it, do so in the private review section. “If you really must urinate outdoors at someone else’s house, at least check for security cameras before doing so. In many place such activity is illegal.”

4 Likes

This has never happened to me and that’s probably because I’ve never had cameras. But I’m surprised that a) it’s illegal and b) anyone would think to mention it

3 Likes

It’s more the issue of pulling your penis out in public than the issue of the urine.

6 Likes

It’s illegal in every state. Unless you are homeless or ill there is no excuse for it (places with no facilities at all like the wilderness excluded.)

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s illegal where I’m from but it is very gross. He is not a dog and just came out of the apartment where there is a toilet. There was no need for that.

2 Likes

A “guest” on his last day urinated in my front yard. Caught proper hell from the neighbors. Yeesh!

1 Like

No need for that behaviour. He might have upset you or the neighbours by flashing. I would mention it in private feedback and mark his stars down.

Illegal in public… I would say I had a reasonable expectation of privacy in a backyard…

RR

1 Like

Side of house in parking space is not a backyard. But even if it were you shouldn’t have a reasonable expectation of privacy there. Certainly the legal “expectation of privacy” doesn’t exist outside. Google street view and satellite images (for example) have already been held to not violate privacy.

Privacy in a backyard is a funny thing in a world of two story homes, homes on hills, etc. I can see into two of my neighbors behind me yards. If I look down at the neighbor who is working in his yard or smoking a cig and see him pull it out and take a whiz, big deal. I think it’s lazy and crude but it’s his yard.

Whether it’s illegal or not isn’t an issue for me. Weed is illegal here in TX and if my Airbnb guests were smoking in their car or the side of my house, I wouldn’t care. I would care if they peed on the side of my house unless there was a very good reason. What might that reason be? The single bathroom is occupied by a sick partner. The toilet is out of service.

I looked for the prior thread where this was discussed and posted the wrong one earlier. I may look again. What I recall from the prior discussion was a distinct gender gap. Men were quite comfortable with peeing in public, seeing other men do it and being seen doing it. Women were much less so.

2 Likes

I think it is a waste of water to flush a toilet for a few ounces of pee. People have been peeing outside since the stone age.

3 Likes

I think it’s one thing if you’re peeing in your own yard (if neighbors can’t see you.) But to pee in someone else’s yard is rude and gross.

4 Likes