How often do you replace sheets and towels?

We are going on our second year as hosts and I’m wondering how often others purchase new sheets and towels. I have replaced a few towels that got stained, (and the colored ones one of my guests bleached!) but I have not replaced any sheets or duvet covers that I use on the comforters yet. Should I be doing this on a regular basis or only when they show signs of wear? Thanks!

Wht would you replace things that are still perfectly good?

3 Likes

I still have many linen and towels that were purchased in 2015 but I’m very determined when it comes to laundry. I can’t remember the last time I repurposed something because of stains.

Some of the 2015 haul are still in use in the rentals and some are in use in my home and one of the ex-rental fitted sheets I use at home is coming to the end of its life and will become a drop-cloth or cleaning rags soon.

I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule. It depends on the quality of the stuff, your occupancy rate, how good your guests are, how good you are at laundry…

6 Likes

When somebody’s toe pokes a hole in it or stains won’t come out.

4 Likes

This. And when hems start to fray or fabric starts to pill.

5 Likes

I personally really hate pilliing on sheets and pillowcases so I toss (donate) any sheet or pillowcase that gets pilling on it. Otherwise, in the absence of pilling, I toss them if they get a hole or a run in them. But I am really good at getting stains out, otherwise I’d probably have to replace them more often.

3 Likes

I’m wondering what will result in having to replace sheets/towels more often, white or colored?

I’ve always used white.

2 Likes

White, white and more white. Sheets, towels, duvet covers, the lot. You can jazz the decor up with throws and Muddy’s hated pillows, and perhaps matching curtains as I managed over some years.

All my linen has managed well from 2017-early 2020, mainly busy summer turnovers, but good enough to bring down to Portugal for a new start. Apart from our own, well used bed linen. I will be switching to guest duvet covers as a toe seems to have ruined ours.

4 Likes

Huh? Where did I ever say I hated pillows? The only throw pillows I hate are those that don’t have removable covers that can be washed, and yes, if you are talking about a bank of decorative pillows stacked up halfway down the bed, that people never use but have to remove to go to sleep only to put back on again when they make the bed, I do hate that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I dislike things which have no purpose yet require time to deal with.

7 Likes

Forgive me @muddy, I’ve had a skinful tonight and you were the person I remembered saying some thing along the lines of

[quote=“muddy, post:10, topic:46435”]
a bank of decorative pillows stacked up halfway down the bed, that people never use
[/quote

I have plenty of such, that get thrown on the floor, including by us!

1 Like

Yep. Sheets, duvet covers, pillow cases, pillow protectors, mattress protectors, bedspread, large bath towels, medium-size bath towels, facecloths, bathmats, shower curtains, bathrobes, disposable slippers and in the kitchen, tea towels. :crazy_face:

Other than a few white towels there is nothing white in my listing. That’s mostly okay, but my attempt to deal with a stubborn stain (some sort of paint?) on a sage green flannelette fitted sheet last year bleached out a palm-sized spot. Those white towels have seen their share of mud and other messes, but are holding up very well. So I recommend white if it works for your listing.
I don’t replace things until they need replacing. Ideally that’s at one stay before a toe goes through. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Other than the tea towels, all of the above, with the addition of walls and ceilings :wink:

Marks on the wall… easy peasy, slap on a dod of white emulsion. One guest suggested it was all bit cold, but hey its a 300yr old casa, the (1m thick) walls were always white, who are we to argue with history…

JF

6 Likes

When they wear out…?

5 Likes

I have to wonder why. Just cause it looks nice during the day?

I replace the bed sheets yearly because they’re not quality ones. I buy them at Kohls when they’re on sale and I have Kohls dollars so I may end up paying $25 for a queen set. The old ones are donated so I feel I’m not being wasteful but if your sheets are still looking good, then wait to replace them.

1 Like

Yup, and in photos for listings.

3 Likes

Well, we all have different perception. To me it looks ridiculous in photos or real life, rather like those teensy tiny 1 ft. square totally impractical bedside tables that were trendy about 15-20 years ago.

Spoken like someone who has never lived in Manhattan in a 360 sq ft apartment :roll_eyes: FYI, they hold a glass of water and a phone perfectly.

2 Likes