How often do you replace sheets and towels?

I can appreciate that there are space issues in some homes.

But the average person puts more than a glass of water and a phone on the bedside table.

To quote a funny article I saved years ago about decor trends:

“I am perched on the front 10th of a daybed big enough for a dozen sleeping babies. Haybales of pillows, three deep and four abreast, attempt to keep a body upright. Providing no back support of any kind, these daybeds are a revenue maker for a physiotherapist. You either sit like a teenager- semi-prone- or you perch like a Mormon missionary visiting a crack house.”

Then she gets into the postage stamp size bed tables:

"Let’s make a list of what usually ends up on bedside tables. At my house you’re going to find: an alarm clock, a smartphone recharging, a stack of books, flyers and newspapers, hand cream, lip balm, nail file, TV remote, magazines, a cup of coffee, a coaster, pens, notepads, highlighters, something inexplicable- ahh! So that’s where I left my trowel!- and a reading lamp. More than likely I’ll have deposited any jewelry I was wearing there as well.

So what’s the deal with decorating? When is it a reasonable enhancement of the business of living and when is it theatrical set decor?"

It’s probably from living in tiny apartments in large cities for too long but I don’t have that many items in my bedroom total, much less on a bedside table. But then again I don’t do anything in the bed that doesn’t require lying down :wink:

So what’s the deal with decorating? When is it a reasonable enhancement of the business of living and when is it theatrical set decor?"

It seems you have very strong feelings about decorating, but, mind you, it’s as least as diverse and individual as taste in food. You might not understand blood pudding, as an example, but there are people for whom it makes comfortable and happy.

1 Like