How many words are allowed in a review private feedback

Writing an accurate review - stating at the end that we personally would not host again. This is her first Airbnb review, so it’s too bad…but her adult son f’d it up for her - I assume she did not stay in our unit,…

Keeping it simple in the public review and giving a longer explanation in the private feedback. It is lengthy. Does anyone know how many words or characters are allowed in the private feedback field?

Here’s the public review: "We hosted [guest] and her adult son at our place on Maui. Communication: friendly, but mainly off-platform as she is new to Airbnb. This was also partially due to a server issue that Airbnb was experiencing but had begun prior to said issue. Cleanliness: the place was not left as clean as expected or observed with other guests. House Rules: the condo security was called on a noise complaint.
Personally, we would not host them again."

Then under Cleanliness, we will give a very low number…not sure if a 1 or a 2. We will click the “something else” button and write: “Cleanliness - took longer than usual to clean after check-out”

Here’s the lengthy part, the private feedback:
"[Guest], we consider ourselves pretty lucky as it has been a year and a half since the last time we’ve had our place left this disorderly.
We want to explain our experience: There was some sort of sticky substance that was tracked all over the floor throughout the unit including on some of the cupboards, the Murphy bed mattress/sheets, the cushions on the sofa, the dining room chair, and all of the rugs. We had to use razor blades to get many sticky spots off the tile and laminate flooring. Dirty dishes left on the counter and in the sink (also a lighter). Towels with stains and bodily fluids.
Beyond the cleanliness factor, the Murphy bed was not folded back properly. A burn hole in one of our living room end table covers. Removal of a “hinge” on our wicker coffee table, which is now also bent so that the top does not fit nicely onto the box base.
We don’t ask for much when it comes to check-out duties, but we do ask that you load and start the dishwasher - this has to do with attracting pests. We also have every type of cleaning supply available to our guests to use at their discretion in case they have an issue during their stay, from a broom, Swiffer wet jet, and vacuum to Windex and Clorox wipes. We did appreciate that a load of towels had been started, however, we do not ask our guests to do the laundry.
Today, we received a complaint email that was forwarded to us by the GM of [the complex] (it was sent to him on Sunday morning) from one of our neighbors that stated: “Last night a drunk young man came bumbling into our hall banging into walls & front door then ringing [the doorbell], to realize he had the wrong room. Same young man repeated that after 10pm when we were asleep in bed and were woken by the same young man.
This morning at 4:45am I think the same person was on their lanai having a loud phone conversation. He said sorry but did not go indoors and at 5:30AM I called security to talk to them.”

Quiet hours are from 10PM to 8AM. Our guess is that you, yourself may not have stayed in our unit and your 25-year-old son doesn’t really know how to behave when left on his own. I also smelled marijuana upon entering the unit, but other than the lighter and the burn hole, we do not have proof of smoking in the unit. We know marijuana is legal in most states, but not Hawaii yet. But what is not allowed by state law is smoking inside the unit or on the lanai. [The complex] has designated smoking areas around the property."

Anyway, I’m positive that all of this will be too long, even for private feedback. Plus, I will not include my “guess” that she didn’t stay and that I smelled marijuana since that is subjective. And if I need to cut somewhere, that will be a good chunk to get cut out. But all the rest I would like to include.

1 Like

From what you describe as the state of the place, I think your public review of “Cleanliness” is far too mild. If you consider the cleanliness rating to deserve a 1 or 2, “not as clean as expected or previously observed” doesn’t convey that. Also, include “damages” in the public review, as it seems several things were damaged.

I would leave the mention of marijuana out of the private feedback, but say that the non-smoking rule was obviously violated because of the burn holes you found and the odor left behind. And I don’t see anything wrong with saying you presume that only the son stayed- she needs to know she can’t book for her son if she isn’t also staying, aside from the fact that he shouldn’t darken anyone’s doorstep again.

5 Likes

P.S. I don’t know what the word limit is on private feedback, but I’m sure you could condense it without losing the pertinent points. For instance, “(it was sent to him on Sunday morning)” is extraneous.

1 Like

First of all you are EXTREMELY Wordy!! K.I.S.S.
Second – word limits, if any, will depend on whether you use big words or small…

Public Review: First time AirBnb user communicated off-platform. Cleanliness was atrocious – sticky substance tracked throughout on floors, beds, cupboards and furniture. Dirty dishes left. Towels stained, broken furniture, burn hole in table cover. Noise complaint from our neighbor. Will NOT host again.

17 Likes

@KenH ’s review is perfect.

4 Likes

No private feedback…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bother with that private feedback unless the guest asks for an explanation. When you review Airbnb gives you descriptor prompts that you can click on. I don’t know what they are when leaving a 1 or 2 star rating as I haven’t done that. I doubt the guest will even pay attention. Write an honest public review for the next host. Ken’s is a good one.

8 Likes

What are you hoping to accomplish with the private feedback? You’re notifying other hosts with the public feedback, you’re not asking for compensation for damages, and you’re never hosting them again. I’d say that venting here on the forum suffices!

In the public review, I would move up front that posted quiet hours were not observed, resulting in multiple noise complaints. I would say cleanliness and care of the property were “quite lacking, requiring extra cleaning and repairs” instead of the more emotional-sounding “atrocious.” I might leave off the dirty dishes comment (but not change your requirement; makes perfect sense), given the Airbnb push to lower check out requirements, just a marketing gesture if future guests track down your review. That’s just me; you do you.

6 Likes

It’s possible that explaining to the booker the details of why the bad review was warranted might make them think twice about seeking some sort of retaliation like making up some lie to report the host, which would get them suspended.

If it was really a mom booking for her son, and she never stayed, depending on what kind of person she is, she might be horrified and embarrassed, or totally defensive, you just never know. In this case, if she booked for her 25 year old son, it’s probably the latter, though. Helicopter parent and he might have gotten his own account deleted due to past bad reviews.

3 Likes

Huh, that’s what I said! :wink: . Also, don’t call me stupid :smiley:

If you think I’m wordy, you should read my husband’s emails/texts!

Thank you for taking the time to write a very concise review that covers all that I said. You are sort of the ChatGPT of the forum :slight_smile:

But seriously, thank you!

5 Likes

See?..this is why folks struggle with leaving very honest reviews, and why I choose to use friendlier-sounding sentences like " the place was not left as clean as expected or observed with other guests ".
The threat of a guest lying and account suspension. Sometimes as hosts, I feel like Airbnb has painted us into a corner.

Anyway, I think I will take the advice of all of the above. Use some of Ken’s review sprinkled with dpfromva’s touches. I will not leave private feedback and if she wants to know the details, I may send what I’ve written to her in an Airbnb message. The neighbor told me to give the guest her email and she’ll explain to the mom how the son was behaving. I don’t know if that’s a great idea, but it was kind of my neighbor to put it out there.

A couple of more things…I did have to contact her about a missing Bluetooth speaker. She responded a little later that her son packed it by accident. She paid me for it through CashApp. The other choice was meeting her (as she is still vacationing on the island) and having it returned. She chose the CashApp.

So, as far as reviewing her - I wanted to wait until I believe she’s off the island, which would be tomorrow, OR, do I wait until the very end? I feel weird that I didn’t mention any of this when I contacted her about the speaker. Thoughts?

So are you thinking, as I am, that the son packed it on purpose because he forgot his? Or decided he should have packed his? So you become his personal shopper. I’d definitely add a “convenience charge” to what I asked them to pay. I’d justify it as the price they pay for taking the beloved bluetooth speaker of your granny who left it to you in her will. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Haha! Maybe,…

So do you think she was staying there as well or “thought it was mine” is just BS? Because if she was also staying, that makes the state they left the place in,as well as him stumbling around drunk bothering the neighbors, even more unforgivable.

And if she was also there, why would her son pack what he thought was her speaker, instead of her packing it. If I went on holiday with my grown kids, I can’t imagine them packing up my stuff in their suitcase when we were getting ready to leave. If they saw a speaker that looked like mine that they thought I might have missed, they’d ask, “Mom, is this yours, or was it already here?”

2 Likes

Short answer (Ken :wink:), I do not think she was staying at the unit.

—————

Having some back and forth prior to their arrival she offered up that she is an RN. She may be looking to be a travel nurse on Maui. Her husband is a doctor. They/he owns a condo in another town here on Maui (a really nice one) but currently has long-term tenants. That is why she booked my condo.

She did use a lot of emoji in her texts and instead of “you” she’d use “u”. I have my judgements :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, with all that being said (Ken :stuck_out_tongue:), I cannot believe that she would have also been in the condo with this sort of thing going on. My guess is that she rented the place for her son. She mentioned when I first contacted her about the speaker that she would have to ask her 25-year-old son.

Also, that she said that he packed it thinking it was hers makes me believe she was not in the unit.

2 Likes

It’s funny to me that instead of stopping your analysis with “I don’t/can’t know” that you and others here – – your co-conspirators – make up these stories about what ‘really’ is going on.

On a few trivial notes you can use three asterisks (cap 8) to create a line in your response, like this:

‘judgements’? Are you from the UK?

[I did it again, the three asterisks.]

I think you just need to move on already.

Says the major speculator of every possible dire scenario and all its myriad permutations that could ever happen, that could lead to all manner of legal woes for a host. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

LOL.

OK. This hasn’t come up (as I recall) on the forum but that observation of me has been made in real life.

Of course, I think that what I am doing is understanding risks and is quite valuable while what you and others are doing in this thread quite the waste of time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do realize that it is my bias that might lead me to that conclusion (and I say it mischievously as I waste time too), but seriously do you see the difference between what you might feel is a [my] ‘negative’ or exaggerated approach in assessing risks vs speculating what people did or knew?

What possibly is the benefit of speculating what the mother was up to, whether she was there when the son was drunk, whether the son just wanted a wireless speaker? Is it just kind of fun to wonder about these things for you? Is it important or beneficial to draw a conclusion or form a belief about someone else’s behavior when in the end you really don’t know if you’re right and it won’t change anything you’ll do?

The benefit of thinking about the risks is making sure that you’re really willing to experience them if you go down that road and they show up. You might decide you don’t want to bear that risk, or that you do. To me that’s a difference that makes the exercise worthwhile.

Yes, I’d say so. And when you have a job where you are dealing with the public all the time, and encounter people who do things that seem bizarre, as well as people who lie, it’s sort of like a psychological exercise to try to figure out what and why.

It’s like when you read a thriller novel- there are all these characters, who could all be the murderer for one reason or another, and pretty much the whole book is the detectives speculating on it (and the reader guessing) based on evidence, motive, and psychology.

I’ve read whole threads on hosting forums where a host says something like “When I went to clean the unit, I thought the fridge light was burnt out but then found the bulb had been almost completely unscrewed. Why would a guest do that?” And then a bunch of hosts come up with all kinds of possible reasons, both serious and funny.

1 Like

OK, well if it’s enjoyable for you and maybe also gives you some insight as you piece together the various facts to fit some theory then that might well hone those skills of yours. So I get that; thank you.

My experience is that there is a give-away at the very beginning.