How many of you really iron all your sheets?

Billy Bob, do you only iron the top third of your sheets or the entire thing and do you iron several layers at a time?

When I have back to back guests I select two sets of sheets so the next turnover is just ironing the folded crease and that cuts down on the Turnover for second guest. Dcmooney, I am trying to provide a really nice service for my guests and wrinkled sheets just don’t look or feel as good. I had a steamer that I borrowed from my dad but it doesn’t do a good enough job so I went back to ironing.

Ironed sheets feel nicer than wrinkled sheets?? Maybe I should do a blind feel test. But that would entail ironing one set, having someone else make up both beds (so I don’t know which sete is wrinkled), blindfolding myself all night and then blind folding myself the next night, dirtying up both beds, and then rewashing sheets…hmmm. Can you really feel the difference??

1 Like

The felt smoother to me! (Not that I slept on them).

I remember grousing as a child because my chore was to iron the pillow cases. My mother (now almost 90) said “When I was a child my parents ironed their sheets!”. I said something stupid and flippant in return because that sounded stupid to me and she said “My parents had little enough luxuries and at least they could have ironed sheets!!!”

2 Likes

I’ve never ironed my sheets BUT I do make sure I use a ton of those smelling crystals when I wash the sheets and pillow cases so they smell clean and awesome. Do the same with the towels.

Smelling crystals? I’m not familiar with that - can you explain? Thanks!

1 Like

My mother put me onto them, that is how I found out about them lol. Leaves sheets/towels smelling extremely fresh for at least a week.

I feel like the great smells of the sheets makes up for them being somewhat wrinkled.

1 Like

woof.

this post must be…

Your welcome guys…

A lint brush takes care of everything, I use one every time and I cannot believe even after all the washing and soaking I do it will still pick up the odd hair…

1 Like

Next step further:

Ironing water!

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254404024

Kristy, I have been using lavender linen spray to iron with and the results are great and nice smelling sheets. But that iron water sounds interesting!

Thankful for lint brushes, the bane of my existences as a Airbnb host is hair, which most of the time is my own when I started so I now wear a Hair net to clean.

3 Likes

I have a novel way to “iron” bottom sheets. It only works if you don’t have back to back bookings. I hang them overnight, and then put them still slightly damp onto the bed with the electric blanket on. They are fitted so I pull them tight and leave them for the day…then they are dry and beautifully wrinkle free.

1 Like

I iron pillowcases but never sheets. One of the first things I do when a guest has left is strip the bed, add the fitted sheet and put the duvet cover on top (without the duvet in it as yet) then tuck the duvet cover in all around the mattress.

By the time I’ve cleaned the place (and ironed the pillowcases) the creases have almost gone from the sheet and duvet cover so all I have to do is put the duvet into the cover.

In my area most cottage rentals don’t provide sheets. I do, and decided that now I have a weather protected drying line, that I’m not going to iron, I had been taking sheets to laundromat for drying and then ironed pillowcases. They get fresh line dried sheets, no artificial fragrance. I didn’t think I’d be doing Airbnb this year, but now that I am, I invested in more sheet sets. I can’t afford multiple sets of high quality cotton, so 2 out of my 3 sets per bed are microfibre. They are 1/3 the price, feel ok and dry faster. This isn’t a high end cottage rental, it’s mid range and I’m offering more than others in the area, I did buy some nice outdoor dishes and glasses so they can eat outside without worrying. Also invested in more garden furniture. Found a lovely conversation set for 1/2 price.

1 Like

I have an ironing machine, on a roller. Its easy and quick, whizz them all through whilst damp, then into the airing cupboard, They open up perfect and feel great. Takes me 10 mins to to a kingsize set, inc top sheet.

We iron all four pillow cases and the king-size duvet cover. We then put the fitted sheet on the bed and iron that in situ, which helps! Ironed sheets really, really feel better, especially if they’re good quality.

1 Like

I bought wrinkle-free sheets and take them out of the dryer while still slightly damp. Believe it or not, a lint roller works pretty well as an “iron.” If the sheets still seem a bit wrinkled, I just do the top third. Always do pillow cases and shams though. Also, I bought some sheet straps to tighten down the mattress cover.

1 Like

my mum insists on ironing all bedding and it takes her a day almost. If my mum stops doing it i Will iron the sheets on the bed i think. It really does make the sheets look new and clean. I worked in a holiday home where thèy didnt iron and the beds looked dirty and old Êven though it Was really expensive bedding.