How do you handle leftover groceries?

Yeah, underwear that has fallen between the bed and the wall - FOR THE WIN!!! :smiley:

I was emptying the kitchen bin of my airbnb today and was shocked at how much food had been thrown away; most of it looked totally ok. If they had left it in the fridge or kitchen I would have made use of it. However, they left me, as a ā€œtreatā€ what was left of a birthday cake - uncovered and there were crumbs from it everywhere, and some opened and half used dips. I didnā€™t fancy either of these but it was a nice thought, I was pleased, however, with the onion and tomatoes! One couple left, by mistake, a lovely bottle of desert wine and four bottles of beer, which was a wonderful treat. I am always amazed at how much food wastage there is and wish they would leave it out of the bin so that it could be used. Oh, and non food items - long johns, very pooey pants, socks, a jumper and a pair of shoes.

UUUGHHHH!!

I must say that I am ever grateful to not have had anyone leave pokey pants here - am hoping that itā€™s because my place isnā€™t suitable for kidsā€¦it was from kids - right???

Qute a grown up kidā€¦ (13)

Oh dear.

1 Like

We use them if we can! Depending on what it is (i.e. unopened cereal, pasta or sauce, jam, tea, coffee) we may also leave it for the next guests. We currently have a few partially used condiments in the fridge, some seasonings and cooking oil leftover from guests.

1 Like

I took a bunch of unopened food that I didnā€™t like to the food bank, sawdust granola bars etc.

ā€¦ and by any chance, when they checked out - was the pool empty :nerd_face:?

6 Likes

we keep only unopened food for the next guests, if they forget some other items I ask them if they want me to send then

donā€™t touch the socks, they may have been starched!

2 Likes

In my case you would have to rent a small cargo :joy:

1 Like

Leave them there for the next people and they think I brought them for them, extra bonus points :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Someone left a half eaten birthday cake from a party, best chocolate cake ever! I was going to message them asking for the recipe but didnā€™t want to be like ā€˜hey I ate all your leftover cake, do you have the recipeā€™ lol

But Iā€™ve had a few presents

-chocolate
-body wash
-alcohol
-lots of shampoos and conditioners and hand washes
-food
-Star Wars salt and pepper shakers shaped like Darth vadars head.
-drawings from children

But the best present is long term guests (mostly business people) who decide to leave weeks early, yay bonus money!

1 Like

Do you try to return the items? I would not keep things like Valentino clothes unless and until I tried to return them. I lost a pillow case one time (I didnā€™t care about my favorite pillow as much as the matching pillow case. An hour after we left I called and they said, ā€œnothing has been turned in.ā€ Followed up and nothing. I always always always return things unless they are consumables and not expensive.

I once had guests leave behind relatively old jacket. They called me to notify me that their neighbour, who is originally from my country, is in the area so she will come and pick up the jacket. When the neighbour came for the jacket she asked me whether the documents are in the pockets. Apparently my dear guests lied to their neighbour that they left some documents in the pockets so that they would have a good excuse to make her drive 50+ km in order to pick up the worthless jacket! The look on her face when I told her that they were no documents in the jacket and that her lovely neighbours never even mentioned them during our phone callā€¦ Some people are really shameless. These guests were douchebags anyway, they showed up in my driveway at 7 am, basically refusing to leave before the apartment was ready, plus they were barely greeting us in our own yard throughout their stay. I was glad I ā€œexposedā€ them in front of their neighbour. I hope she confonted them. Or threw away the jacket. :smiley:

1 Like

What do you think ? I would purposefully not tell guests that they left behind such expensive items? That would make a very bad person.

This was a group of people who left suddenly after staying at the house for 5 months. They didnot even notified us that they are leaving. After we entered the house we discovered all these items laying around. I tried to contact them for a month. Then I packed everything and put it in storage . Then when I tried to contact them again multiple times through text so i would have a record of it, and there was no response , I started giving items away and using them for myself.

4 Likes

Hi, I donā€™t know you so I donā€™t know what you would do. None of this information (about trying to contact them, etc.) was in the post. Sounds like you did what I would have done and you scored!! I think some people feel ā€œfinders-keepers, losers-weepersā€

I have seen the 202020 reference before. What does that mean?

All responses must contain 20 characters, so this is an indication that the message the poster wishes to post isnā€™t long enough to pass the ā€œtest.ā€

Thanks - I have seen it before and had no ideaā€¦