How do you handle leftover groceries?

A departing guest left a perfectly good carton of eggs and juice cartons.

How do you guys handle this circumstance? Toss 'em or keep 'em?

Wahoo! Free food!
Iā€™m on my way!

14 Likes

Silly question! Get scramblin them eggs, toast a slice of sourdough and treat it like the thank-you brunch that it was meant as. Every little perk helps in this game. Enjoy :)!

9 Likes

What the other said ā€“ eggs and juice are a good, free, start to your day! Weā€™ve gotten some really good ā€œleftover foodā€.

3 Likes

It always felt like treasure if guests left anything of use. Tin of beans? Put it on the shelf. Half a bottle of ketchup? Put it in the cupboard. Half a bottle of gin? Put it in my tummy.

16 Likes

I draw the line at half eaten fruit though.

(if itā€™s already in the bin)

5 Likes

I donā€™t have much of a sweet-tooth the way most folk do, so when cakes and biscuits are left, I can create the illusion of the perfect host by presenting them to my next guests ā€¦ provided they behave themselves :nerd_face:!

10 Likes

I had one guest demolish my basket of chocolates left on the kitchen table.
NB Help yourself doesnā€™t mean eat the lot.
Anyway karma meant he left behind a bottle of liquor he forgot to pack concealed under a cushion, boy he was sore about that and left a begrudgingly ā€™ have a drink on meā€™ in the review.

But back on track - lately, two young men left behind the most delicious two lt carton of their grannies home made raspberry jam - taste was supremely dynamite.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot to be said for guests who leave you tokens of gesture, however small or insignificant they may seem. Iā€™d like to leave you with some examples from my last week of hosting alone :

The Japanese couple who annoyed me by checking in at 1am left a packet of Carrs cheese melts. Arigato! All is forgiven!

The Canadian couple who informed me theyā€™d used my address to have football tickets delivered but (couldnā€™t give me an actual time) forcing me to hang around all day - left me a bottle of organic maple syrup :)! SLURP! Cancel that bad review!

And, last but not least ; the Taiwanese lady who called me up while I was on a night out, cutting it short because she said she wanted me to take her to hospital. So I picked her up in an uber and we went ā€¦ turned out she just had indigestion from a dodgy Tesco pasta salad. She bought me a bottle of Anna Sui perfume :heart_eyes:!

Before you tell me Iā€™m easily bought : thanks, I already knowšŸ™ˆ

14 Likes

This is the best response Iā€™ve ever read in this entire forum.

4 Likes

@spkrause, which one?

1 Like

Eat them! I love when guests leave partial bottles of wine.

Single serve snacks or soda I just leave for the following guests.

1 Like

@Kittyp 's response. It appears I need a remedial course in using the reply button.

I love them. Itā€™s bonus groceries!

I do end up with a lot of extra butter, which I leave for the other guests, along with cooking oil, some spices etc. I scored a bag of (unopened) organic quinoa last week! Lots of leftover shampoo/conditioners that I point out to other guests that theyā€™re welcome to use.

Eggs get left all the time. I like to think itā€™s a perk for all of the hard work we do!

Now if only theyā€™d leave bags of money in gratitudeā€¦:rofl:

4 Likes

I eat or use everything thatā€™s left short of half eaten fruit in the trash bin. Like @Barns my standards are low but I do have some.

5 Likes

@spkrause Aw, thatā€™s nice, thank you :blush:

Not food related, but one Guest moving out of the country left 2 green plastic garbage bags full of perfectly good clothese. With her approval, it was donated to the local church for a rummage saleā€¦after my co-host and her tenant went through it, of course! :wink:

4 Likes

My son was pretty happy to find a full unopened container of this in the freezer after the last guests left and a can of Coke. He promptly made an ice cream spider :spider: we do love our bugs in Aus EE7D78DC-7193-42A8-BBCE-F3AA6749135F

3 Likes

Who ate all the muffin tops?

2 Likes

Well, this is about MY leftover food ā€“ I provide continental breakfast items in the suite, so I end up with English muffins, bagels, croissants, biscuits, blueberry muffins, scones etc. that the guests donā€™t eat and that I canā€™t eat before they get stale. Always a variety cuz I buy whateverā€™s on sale that I can reasonably pass off as ā€œbreakfast food.ā€ I bag appropriate smaller servings from the store bags, and donā€™t want to re-serve those because the previous guest may have handled them. So toss em in the freezer and every couple months I make a delicious bourbon bread pudding with all the random bits.I figure the baking process kills any errant germs. Yum.

3 Likes