How do you deal with it when you really DON'T like these guests

That is exactly what I meant - thanks Militaryhorsegal for clarifying it for me. Many hosts count on reviews to either accecpt a guset or not. I have an in-home Airbnb. I would want to know about their behavior. Those with whole house rentals would also want to know about the disarray.

Been thinking on it carefully… I too would want to know about the disarray of items whether by accident or deliberately. It was way too overdone to be normal. So yes I wouldn’t mind so then put on a review. Because I thought I would be honest both about the good and the bad. Just need to keep it short. And I’m sorry I didn’t understand what you meant it first.

1 Like

I considered that too, but I’ve recently had a blocked ear. I was so worried about talking over loudly that I was almost whispering; no one could hear me. I learned that this is most people’s experience.

Yeap, they are constantly telling me they can’t hear me, but to me it sounds like I am shouting in my head and to them it’s a whisper.

Well don’t come here then! (Not really KKc<><>) Although I do think my welcome can be too long for some, and I often forget part of it, ( then a guest can’t figure out how to turn off the damn light or close the windows) it is necessary and that’s because of the unusualness of this str. oh well “who the shoe fits let them wear it”

Whatever you do, don’t book my “large historic home” listing! I have 3 entire house AirBnB listings, and they are all set up for self check-in, but I have to do an orientation to that house. The house is over a 100 years old. Some light switches are in very odd places, and there are some little quirks I need to tell/warn guests about.

If you did book it though, you’d be warned in the first message you got from me that, although the house is self check in, I will be meeting you in person. So that would be your clue to cancel if you didn’t want that.

1 Like

LOL. Obviously some rentals are more unique than others. Since I’m usually just looking for an ordinary home or room in a city, I expect a modest number of “rules” and a concise description. BTW, my description is pretty long compared to some. However I’ve seen simple, not the least bit unique studios where the host had a very long list of rules and fines. Those lists where the host tries to make me responsible for every single mis-deed that has ever been done to them. No thanks. Maybe we will chat about it when I’m there. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, wordsmiths, here are the two I’ve concocted…input (constructive please) appreciated.

1. Alisa and Dave left the cabin fairly clean, but left the property in an odd condition of disarray, dish soap container by the front door, broom against the loft ladder, cutting board on the windowsill, hand soap by the cooktop, used towels hanging everywhere, including the front porch railing and a dining stool. Unfortunately, they also complained about features that were either not there that they wanted, OR that were there that they didn’t want, despite all being clearly stated in the listing. They then admitted, laughingly, they didn’t read the listing. Other than greeting them, I had no other contact or interaction with them.

2. Alisa and Dave left the cabin fairly clean, but left the property in an odd condition of disarray, many everyday items scattered about far from their proper place. Unfortunately, they also complained about features that were either not there that they wanted, OR that were there that they didn’t want, despite all being clearly stated in the listing. They then admitted, laughingly, they didn’t read the listing. Other than greeting them, I had no other contact or interaction with them.

1 Like

I prefer the second one because it’s shorter.

This statement can be left out,

4 Likes

Yes, I did too after I wrote/read the first. would like to know why not the last line? Just curious. It’s easy to see it not there…

Funny, my long greeting barely touches on rules… the guests that look distracted during my rundown are either horny or need to go potty…

KKC>>Maybe we will chat about it when I’m there. :wink: yes!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful place you have there!!

Moreover, I’m terribly impressed that you are actually using your picture-rail as intended!

1 Like

That’s why.

I agree with @KKC. The second is more concise and sounds more professional. The last line isn’t needed. It distracts from the rest of the information and is unclear as to what your point is in saying it.

2 Likes

I think it detracts from/undermines your point. It’s like saying “I barely spoke to them but let me tell you how they are.” What if after reading your review your guests said “how could you say that, other than greeting us we had no contact with you!”

3 Likes

@shadowmnt Yes, indeed. It both distracts the reader and detracts from your point.

Anytime you can easily not see a line in something you’ve written, that’s your cue to remove it. Pluck, pluck, pluck (like stray hairs).

got it! thanks…appreciate the input…settled on the second one as well, sans last line.

3 Likes

now…am still thinking on the star choice…communication was pretty good, especially prior to arrival. cleanliness? I guess it depends on how fussy you are…clean vs. slobby…abindence to house rules? ah…not too good… so 4…3…3…and I personally would not want them back…

Decreased stars for Communication for not reading the listing.
Decreased stars for Cleaniliness for leaving stuff all over the place in weird places - that’s ultimately cleaning time for you, dirt or not.
Decreased stars for House Rules maybe because they didn’t read them when they didn’t read the listing?

2 Likes

Thank you! I am impressed you know it’s a picture rail! :wink:

It’s a lovely house with lots of the original features from that era in good working order. Plenty of things to baffle those unacquainted with home of that period. For instance the second floor rooms still have the original light fixtures which were “ transitional fixtures“ that had electric on half the fixture and gas on the other half of the fixture. I’ve had guests think that we didn’t bother to put lightbulbs in some of the fixtures because they didn’t realize that was a gas port and there was never an electrical socket for a lightbulb on that part of the fixture.

So now I make sure and give everyone a short tour and quaint them with features like the transitional lighting fixtures, the working transom windows, the light switches that are located in odd places, and so forth. It doesn’t take very long, and I always ask them if they need a bathroom break before we start since they’ve just arrived.

3 Likes

Thanks, JJD…I like that…I hate to be a hard ass most of the time but this sounds about right…

1 Like