How did you select a name for your unit?

Mulberry Cottage as it is hidden by a large old mulberry tree. Bellingen Lemon Myrtle Farm because we grow lemon myrtle trees and distil the essential oil at our farm.

1 Like

Possible to buy some lemon myrtle from you direct?

1 Like

Yes. Or from our etsy shop Bellingen Lemon Myrtle. $15 for 15 mls.

• postage to grafton?

I’m just updating my postage at the moment so I think between $6 - $8. I can give you a more accurate price on the weekend.

Your listing title is EVERYTHING.

I’ve been paid very nice $$$$$ to come up with marketing plans for STRs, and the name is the most important part. Myself and the client work intensively on this.

Note to mods: This is NOT a pitch for business. Feel free to delete if this violates Dah Rulz.

Just to note, it’s great to go on a forum and get free advice, with the caveat that word selection is something Madison Avenue companies pay huge consultancy fees for, and with good reason given the psychology of marketing.

And with AirBNB being so competitive now, it would be lucky (but financial suicide for other hosts) to get/give solid advice from competitors.

I didn’t have a chance to do so. The house has been called Chance Cottage since 1740, when it was built. The pub next door is The Chance Inn, allegedly because it was the last chance for those about to be hanged on the gibbert in nearby Hangman’s Lane to have a drink.

See if you can find any local history or anecdote. Anyway, what’s wrong with a parrot-for-real?

1 Like

I like your history. Maybe a parrot for real is the ticket. I’m soaking it all in now. Lots of good ideas. Plus I’m really enjoying hearing other people’s stories.

I’m playing around with ideas now actually on the airbnb site. Funny how something looks/sounds good but when I see it actually on my listing, it doesn’t feel “right”

Help me understand your comment—-are you saying that the other hosts shouldn’t be contributing to this thread?

Squirrel moment—sharing my personal & business leadership style

I read the comment as “I get paid to do this and if people give this advice for free why would anyone pay?” LOL.

I understand though. I was recently invited to a host meet up that I couldn’t attend but I am wondering why I would attend. Could I learn anything from them? They couldn’t know more than the group here but maybe about local issues/tips/trends. Or would I only be helping them? Maybe it’s in my interest to be involved at, relatively speaking, the ground floor if there is proposed regulation later? Maybe people who meet will realize they don’t have to have their prices so damn low?

I agree that it doesn’t make sense to aid your competitors but very few members here are competitors with one another.

1 Like

@KKC

I will cheerfully help my competitors because I may get a rental referral or some good mutual idea exchanges.

The competition is there anyway—I can help and build good will or have a tenuous relationship.

1 Like

Also, as regards competition… When I started in 2014 there were about 16-20 listings I’d consider competitors. Now there are well over 100 and yet I’m about 100% booked. There was a fellow with a single room in his home that I noticed. Then he made it a two room suite in his home. Then he converted something in back (a garage?) into a “casita” or MIL type suite. Then he bought a small 3 bed, 1 bath home and put in on Air. One might think he is cannibalizing his own business but maybe not. I think my listing has some distinct advantages compared to other properties but part of my success is from being on this forum and learning so much here.

2 Likes

Thanks! It was fun to brainstorm - a bottle of wine and friends and family definitely helped!

1 Like

I don’t use my dog logo in the Airbnb room of course but I do keep with the “theme.” There are Tibetan prayer flags in front on the porch and a miniature set of non-traditional flags in the guest room The ones in the guest room have lotus flowers and OM symbols but other writing in English and Spanish. There are a couple of Buddha theme things. So it echoes the Mexican border-spanish language mixed with Himalayan Buddhism thing.

3 Likes

Which is bound to be picked up by HGTV and will be the “next big thing.” You might consider a copyright now, while you can. :wink:

3 Likes

LOL. I stole it from my alma mater, UTEP. The campus is the largest collection of Bhutanese architecture outside of the kingdom of Bhutan. That’s the first place I ever saw prayer flags.

1 Like

The guy who invented the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, gave it away for free! He’d likely be a multi-billionaire today if he patented it. So I guess money isn’t the most important thing to everyone! I admire that!

5 Likes

@Maggieroni

@Joan
@KenH
@Allison_H
@JamJerrupSunset
@KKC
@BurmaPark
@Shanghai
@anon67190644

Any & all (max #10 of members you can tag on a post)
please give feedback on the name:

Peaceful Magnolia Palms

I’ve thought about your comments & how you named your rental.

It’s a quiet / peaceful neighborhood. There are palm trees and a 30 year old magnolia tree in front of my two bedroom unit. I will get a better picture this weekend.

This is what I have for now so you will get the idea.

Maybe I can get the neighbor to park her Porsche Carrera so it will show. It will appear more upscale than my beloved Hyundai Santa Fe.

1 Like

The unfortunate thing with Airbnb is that the name of your listing is also the HEADLINE of your ad. So, whatever you “name” it should be your main selling point.

Ours, we use the headline, “10 Minutes to Manhattan” - pretty similar to everyone else in our area. But that’s our main selling point. Then, we added a second room in the same apartment and we originally used the exact same headline.

That’s when I found out that the headline is also the NAME. So now my calendar had two listings but they both showed up with the exact same name. I realized we had to change the headline on one so the “name” would be different from the other.

So, we ended up calling the second room, which is about 12 feet further away from Manhattan than the first room - we called it “11 Minutes to Manhattan”!

Since the name is the headline - you really have to put your main selling point in your name.

3 Likes