Hosts need to start leaving honest reviews!

So then mention everything you wrote on this thread on your review. The guest will have an opportunity to reply to your review at which point they will most likely reply with a reason why they were late.

Plus you would think being delayed by a wild fire would jolly well sort out their attitude to smoking!

Iā€™m a Realtor. Anyway, best of luck.

Iā€™m pretty sure there has to be a reason though, not just ā€œI didnā€™t like their vibe.ā€ I mean, just imagine the possible implications of saying that as the only reason you kicked out a guest of another race, or someone with a disability, or an LGBT person. I really think the point is being missed here. Just have a reason. Do not make it sound like you just didnā€™t like someone personally, because I think in almost any business situation thatā€™s asking for a heap of trouble. Iā€™ll let it go now, I was just hoping somehow my point would get across.

3 Likes

So if you read my original postā€¦You would have read that I listed all of the reasons why she was kicked out. You are confusing statutes that apply to long term tenants (such as tenants that would rent or lease a house for the sole purpose being the only tenants long term, typically over 90 days) vs overnight guests, which would be the type of guests that usually stay at hotels. The statutes do not list ā€œTangible reasonā€ as a mandate to justify kicking someone out. I could say I changed my mind and donā€™t want them in my house, without having to provide any reason whatsoever and even that would be sufficient. Now, Airbnb may not like it but Airbnb cannot enforce their own rules as law.

Now you mention possibly facing a lawsuit if someone has a disability or due to race etc. As long I donā€™t state that I kicked them out due to one of the protected classes, then how can I get sued? I can even kick out a disabled person if I so chose to as long as their disability is not the reason I kicked them out for.

As much as people throw the word lawsuit around, itā€™s not that easy to just accuse someone of doing something that you perceive as not valid because itā€™s not ā€œtangibleā€.

Yeah, but Airbnb can delist you any time they want, also without a tangible reason.

1 Like

Airbnb can do whatever they want on their platform. Just like I set the rules in my home. However Airbnb in my case, after having kicked out over 4 guests, they wonā€™t delist me. I am not speaking in hypotheticals. I am speaking from fact and experience. Why havenā€™t they delisted me? Because as someone who is in the legal field, I have thoroughly read their entire terms and agreements, with a fine tooth and comb. The need to make sure that I have not broken their rules and as they have stated in their own ā€œDeclineā€ policy, you can decline from someone continuing their stay at your place, if you feel uncomfortable with the guest.

And you are wrongā€¦In Airbnbā€™s case, they do have to have a tangible reason to de list me.

We have the same situation where we are 12 miles off the beaten path and GPS sends people on a wild goose chase. We give everyone the same directions and over 750 people have arrived without incident. About 20 have been confused and out of that number, about 5 have got way off track and 1 got completely lost. (It took him 5 hours to do a half hour drive but he laughed at himself for it later.)
Funny thing is, our directions are ridiculously easy:
Once you get to High Rolls, turn south on Westside Rd (directly across from the General Store) and drive exactly 12 miles. Do NOT use GPS as it will send you in the wrong direction. We are the only house for the last 10 miles. Sign at driveway says Domes Nature Retreat. Follow the signs up to the accommodation.
But they do the craziest things instead of following directions, and then comment on how hard it is to get here!
Generally speaking reading comprehension is not high in the general populace, and the egoic minds job is to problem solve, even if it has to create the problem to solveā€¦ so i am still looking for the magic words to make directions clear for everyone!

I just had horrible guests; something I have not experienced in 8 years of hosting- I got a bad feeling already at check in, the husband was very rude and I felt terrible leaving my beautiful home to them- and I was right!
Not to go into details I decided on the feedback I am just going to write
NOT RECCOMMENED.
And tell them my complaints in private.

1 Like

PLEASE let other hosts know why you are not recommending these guests in your public feedback. If you need/want help writing something, there are plenty of folks on this forum who would be happy to offer suggestions.

2 Likes

yes ok I will say a bit about it; I just donā€™t want to be long winded and nit-picky.
They were just very unpleasant people who made my life miserable for 6 days!

@Elizabeth Yes, please give some details. @KenH is an absolute master at writing succinct, non-emotional reviews and has been very generous with his time in offering to draft reviews for members of the forum. If youā€™d like to vent here with some details you might feel better and get some input from him.

2 Likes

Thanks but it has to get up in the next 20 minutes, today is the last day!

Ah. I still prefer some details. What makes one hostā€™s week a living hell like cooking spicy greasy food in the kitchen all week is a culinary delight for another.

1 Like

iā€™m sorry to hear that @justMandi. Never reward bad behaviour by refunding abusive guests.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I cannot recommend these guests in good faith to other hosts-being a airbnb host myself for almost 10 years, this was the first negative experience I have had; mostly with the husband, Lester, but letā€™s just say very problematic people from the moment of check in.
They also had some issues with leaking water, that I responded to immediately, but they still continued to send emails (all in CAPS) about liability, lawsuits, etc. as if I was going to sue themā€¦It was very unsettling and not in the airbnb spirit.
I Also found 2 pieces of damaged furniture when I returned that they did not inform me about, they just left it.
Very unpleasant experience.

2 Likes

Iā€™d leave out the part about ā€œLester.ā€ He sounds like the kind of person who would be on the phone to Air demanding that they take down the review because of whatever nonsense he decides to foam at the mouth about.

I might change the details about lawsuits, liabilityā€¦and just say that the guests made threats

Edit: Instead of mentioning Lester or ā€œthe husbandā€ just say ā€œThey.ā€

2 Likes

Good tips- thank you!
(yea, I thought the Lester thing was tmi myselfā€¦)

Hi @Elizabeth

how about saying something like

"Unfortunately these were the worst guests Iā€™ve had in ten years of hosting. From the moment they checked in, the husband in particular, was abusive and rude.

"Throughout their stay I was threatened with lawsuits, following a minor issue with leaking water which I had responded to, and dealt with, immediately. The threats of a lawsuit continued through their stay.

ā€œPost check out I found they had damaged two pieces of my furniture. I cannot recommend them to future hostsā€.

I think itā€™s fine to mention the lawsuits as it sounds so extreme. Was it just the leaking water that led to the threats or are there other issues they might mention in their reviews/

1 Like