Hosts need to start leaving honest reviews!

That’s helpful thanks - I hate the personal feedback bit. I always feel it invites me to be patronising so I generally add a complimenting comment about leaving the house clean because we don’t tend to get messy guests.

The guest probably kicked your cat. I think you did the right think by cancelling her reservation.

1 Like

Thank you for this, Helsi. i’ve had a couple of bad guests that were drunk, shouting, and refusing to leave even with a refund. i paid for it with 1-star reviews.

The solution was so simple; let Air handle it, not me.

'thank you.

Yes, I did. I do not tolerate anyone blatantly disrespecting me in my house or making anyone feel uncomfortable. I once kicked out a lady and her Mom out of my house at 4am. I am not like otger hosts. I go above and beyond for my guests, however if I get a trouble guests, I will kick them out right then and there.

4 Likes

I think you were absolutely correct in kicking her out, but I would be careful about commenting on someone’s “vibe” or other intangible qualities - probably best to point out the behavior instead of commenting on the demeanor or personality of the guest which is subjective, could be due to a disability or impairment, and could possibly been seen as discrimination if you include it as a reason for asking her to leave. Just leave it out, in other words.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion but on my listing I have stated that anyone coming into my house with a negative attitutude or vibe will not be welcome. I don’t care what a guest might perceive. I told her why she was being kicked out for. It’s my house and no one (not even Airbnb) is going to tell me to be careful when kicking someone out. If anyone in my house is made to feel uncomfortable, then that person is out.

3 Likes

I’m honestly just trying to help. We all know exactly what you mean, and of course you have every right to kick someone out of your house! I just would worry about lawsuits down the road if you tell someone their “vibe” is what caused the cancellation, as that is really not a behavior or action w/ the way you’re wording it. You could say “guests may be thrown out if their actions or behavior causes me or my other guests to be uncomfortable”. We all know what you mean, I would just consider focusing on tangible actions rather than feelings or interpretations, for your own sake.

1 Like

Again, it’s my house and I can kick someoneone out for any reason. Lawsuit? Lol I can’t get sued for kicking anyone out. If I don’t want them in my house, I don’t want them in my house. I do not need a “tangible” reason. They are not tennants. I’m in the legal field. Maybe you should look up the local statutes prior to giving advice.

1 Like

Even under Airbnb rules hosts can make people leave who make them uncomfortable at least in certain situations.

Thanks for the great post. I very much admire your resolve.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this honest-review thing lately, having just left an unduly kind review for people I really don’t want to see again. (They sat in living/dining room and talked nonstop (and I mean nonstop) about really depressing things, trashed the toilet and left four stars for value, yet raved about the place and us and how they “promise” to come back). We were exhausted, and their stay had a negative impact on our ability to work from our home. The place just felt yucky during and after their stay.

I feel an idiot for posting that kind review, but I also feel like the host culture is to leave five stars for everyone unless they are axe murderers or something. “Four stars. While they managed to disembowel the other guests, they were very quiet and left the room in top-notch shape!”

So I called Airbnb for advice, and they said just block them from future bookings. That way they can’t communicate or book again. I wonder how that works on the guest’s end when they can’t make the connection anymore… Shall see, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your words of wisdom.

1 Like

First, I love your forum name @OffCameHerHead

Next, it doesn’t sound like an unduly kind review for a home share type situation. Just as guests say “We’d love to come back to your four stars for value place,” we have a right to say “Uh, please don’t.” I no longer share my home but I had guests who made me uncomfortable with their takeover of my space and their neediness. $15,000 worth of remodeling I have my time back.

Your sense of humor is great. Welcome to the forum.

So were you able to do this? There have been mixed messages here on the forum about whether the block option is still offered to us or not. I’ve seen it recently but others have not.

@OffCameHerHead were you able to block? I don’t seem able to, thanks

And I admire your post, so welcome to the forum. It’s good to have people join/chip in with thoughtfulness, and honesty, about how they’ve been made to feel in their posts.

And as for OffCameHerHead, which one of the two should we really call you?!

I familiarized myself with the block process and now I’m doing a lot of self talk about pulling the plug on these poor souls. Meanwhile, I blocked a first-time Airbnb user who made several requests to skirt the rules. I was feeling a bit worn down and felt her first stay would be better with a tougher host.

Dear Airbnb Hosts,
This is Okai from Bosnia and Herzegovina. I’m a teacher and doing my PhD research.
I’m a loyal Airbnb customer and trying to understand hosting for my future plans. The philosophy behind Airbnb impressed me so that I decided to choose Airbnb as my research topic. I’d like to understand what are the major motivations of Airbnb hosts. Then, I prepared a survey and would like to share it here with you.
I kindly ask your 5 min. to complete Airbnb host survey. There are no personal questions, we just need to know your experiences as a host. Since I cannot add the link here, please find my profile and click on the website link.

Thanks.

Okai Ozbal
PhD student
IBU, Management Dep.
Sarajevo

Help me write an honest review and tell me how many stars for my guest that I just had to boot. Here are the particulars:

He is a first time Air user

He had good communication with me prior to arrival and was personable during check-in.

Arrived a little after when he said he would but there was a wild fire along their route which cause traffic delays

Caught his friends smoking. Told them this was a no smoking property and when asked where they could smoke I told them to take the 10mile trip into town because it was too dangerous to smoke along the road due to extreme fire danger. An hour later they were caught smoking on road in front of neighbor’s house. Neighbor complained to me worried about fire danger.

I told them they had to leave and that Air would be contacting them.

They took off without speaking to air.

Did attempt to pick up the kitchen and leave house orderly but took one set of keys (probably just an oversight).

At no time did he address the smoking with me. I never saw him and only dealt with the people smoking.

You mentioned he arrived a little later than he said he would then you said there was a fire. If he had a valid excuse, why are you even bringing this up?

What you already wrote sounds like a review. You are stating facts. Exactly how you are explaining to us, minus the irrelavent “was a little late” comment is good enough.

re: the “little late” comment, as you said I was stating facts.

OK, but you followed up with an excuse. So was it a problem for you or not?

It was a problem for me as I had planned my day/evening around the window of time they said they would arrive. Even though there was a reason they were late that was not of their doing it did not mitigate the issues it caused me.