Host True Confessions

:laughing: You could be describing me. I find most people have a far lower Eeeuw threshold than I do. I’ve always thought we need to ingest some dirt to have a strong immune system. And living in Mexico where things are far less sanitary than the US or Canada, and seeing that what would horrify a lot of Americans or Canadians doesn’t seem to make people here sick, sort of solidifies that thought.

When Iived in Canada, I was once on my way to my best friend’s house, 3 blocks away, for a pot luck dinner. On my way out the gate, I somehow stumbled and dumped the whole pot of pesto noodles I was carrying. I just used the big serving spoon I was carrying to scoop it all up and put it back in the pot, being careful not to scrape right down to the sidewalk.

When I walked in my friend’s door, I laughingly told her what I’d done, and she said “That’s exactly what I would have done”.

4 Likes

spraying Lysol on to toilet paper that you are going to use on your…? My guess is that is dangerous: there must at least some toxic residooo… " Lysol’s active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride," he tells. "It is a known carcinogen and has been shown to cause blindness in humans

3 Likes

Well I don’t freaking soak it in Lysol. Just a spritz in the general direction. Sheesh. You know, to generally kill the buggies on the outside of the roll. Plus it’s airing out for about a month or more before I use it. I don’t know about your TP, but if I get mine wet, even the “top sheet,” the entire roll is useless.

1 Like

I’d change the sheets but the consensus seems to be ask first in case they’re OK with it. I had a guest back in 2019 who left for a couple of days, wasn’t sure she’d be back, and said I didn’t have to change the sheets. Since she was paying for the nights she wasn’t here, I just tidied the room and left the sheets.

Do you ask for clean-up fee for each reservation? If they pay the clean-up fee for their 2nd reservation, it’s just fair to change the bed sheet…

A long time ago while running a busy B&B I learn not to put in areas with guest access anything that is important or of value to me. Guests invariably do not respect them. That way you save lots of anguish and frustration,

Yes, I understand, but it is an interesting turn for me. The opposite really. I did not actually put anything that is important of value to me for the guests (the books are from Salvation Army, bought on sale days - my mother’s books stayed with me). Oddly, that is when they took the books. Once I told the guests that the books were important (pretended) to me, then no one has taken any of the books since then (2.5 years at least). Though I suspect that it is a “book people” specific scenario.

I get a lot of avid readers as guests, who usually bring a book or two with them. I show them my bookcase, and have one shelf that contains books I’m happy to pass on, and tell guests they are free to read anything on my bookshelf, but only the ones in that specific shelf are free for the taking.

It’s worked out fine and guests have also left me lots of great books. Most “book people” have a lot of respect for not making off with something that someone else says they want to keep in their collection.

I have way more problems with loaning books to friends who never return them. Now I write down who I lent what book or movie to so I can retreive it.

I’m down from about 1200 books at peak to whatever I have now. I know it’s less but not sure how many less. I’d be happy to give away or let walk away many books. I’m in the process of rearranging and remodeling my Airbnb room and would like to take out a too large bookcase for the space and replace it with something else. But I always want to have a spot for at least a few books. My books have been commented upon a few times but none have disappeared. I only had area interest stuff like history of El Paso or some books about he west like McPhee’s Basin and Range or Abbey’s Desert Solitaire.

Books in a basket is something I’ve seen done and looks nice.

What!!! You place isn’t as adverised??? Refund! :rofl:

1 Like

We have high quality 2nd hand books, about 100, they are for sale or trade. My Mother hand picked/ supplied them and some are from her bookstore ownership years and have prices. Honor system 25c - 2$

“pay piggy”.

3 Likes

Oooh! One of my favorite landscape books!

I first got to know his writing when the first part of “Coming Into The Country” was published in the New Yorker. He was guest on a statewide radio talk show on the 40th anniversary of its publication a few years back, and I was able to call in, but was unable to persuade him to write a geology book about Southeastern Alaska.

1 Like