Host True Confessions

After our second apartment was renovated, I was prepping for its first guests when I noticed there was a lump of something (light grey not brown!) in the loo right at the bottom. It was only about the size of a quarter but was firmly stuck to the porcelain. I think it was plaster or grout or something that had set.

Unfortunately, I had a same-day turnover in the other apartment so no time to get a knife or whatever to scrape it out.

It wasn’t unsightly or dirty looking but it wasn’t the near-perfection I aim for. :angel:

I was pressed for time and I didn’t have any of those things that make the loo water blue so I put a few drops of Mrs Stewart’s Bluing into the cistern and into the loo to hide it.

I intended to buy blue loo stuff but didn’t get round to it. I think it was two or three weeks (maybe six groups of guests) before I finally bought some.

Putting laundry bluing into the loo is my host confesstion. :crazy_face:

9 Likes

I dunno – will your bookings drop if you correct it? :smile:

2 Likes

Yep, if the roll’s still big enough, I tear it off neatly and make the little point.

2 Likes

True true confession: I always put out a fresh roll. It was kind of meant as a joke, like your OP.

BTW, I didn’t start out doing that but once I started reading the forum I started to let my mind wander around all the things a guest might do in the room. I decided that a guest wiping their privates and then touching the TP roll was kind of icky. I think it’s safe it’s just the optics of it. I hope the obviously unused roll sends a subliminal message to all guests and an explict one to any guest to actually has that kind of eye for detail. I use the partial rolls in my bathroom. When I have a new guest every night or two those partial rolls build up fast.

5 Likes

I don’t wear my glasses or a mask while turning over

2 Likes

If I were hosting now, I wouldn’t either. I’ve always had one day prep time set, windows and doors where I live are always open if I’m home ( if I’m not, doors are closed but not windows).

One of the most ridiculous things on that enhanced cleaning protocol is to wear gloves when handling the clean laundry. If my hands are clean, and the laundry is clean, what are the gloves for- more PPE in the landfill?

3 Likes

I’ve stopped masking up in my listings during turnover now that I am vaccinated, one less thing. I always mask up in public though, and on the property if I interact with guests.

RR

6 Likes

Long before Covid, my husband started wearing gloves to make the bed and do the final tidying. He always has some kind of cut or scab on his hands from work or gardening. After the third time that he got blood on a sheet or duvet cover or pillow case as he gave the bed “one last straighten” on his way out of the unit…and then had to change the bed in a hurry (once the guests were parking but it was only a pillowcase so we just ran out with the whole pillow and they never knew they were supposed to have 5 on the bed), he started wearing gloves the whole time :grin:

4 Likes

I hope you removed the “Enhanced Clean” designation from your listings?

1 Like

I only read the enhanced clean information way back when. I did not realize that my being unmasked in my listings, days before any guest arrive would not be compliant. I am sure they have changed a lot of the guidelines since then I will need to go take a look.

RR

1 Like

Last I checked about 3 weeks ago, they hadn’t changed the guidelines on masks and gloves while cleaning. I know I’ve been mulling if I’d just removed that from my listing. At this point, if it results in fewer bookings, that’s okay.

2 Likes

I will not remove it, the reviews do speak for themselves but I imagine the algorithms would punish me for being non compliant.

I do hereby affirm that I will follow the enhanced cleaning protocols for ever and ever amen.

RR

8 Likes

Because the Airbnb camera drone will be watching that masked-up and gloved-up you does “Wipe down hard surfaces with soap and water.”
Direct quote. Not sanitizer spray, not sanitizer wipes, not disinfectant. Soap.
I realize hosts worldwide may not have access to disinfectant products, and soap as a surfactant will remove troublesome stuff. But imprecision in instructions drives me mad, all they had to do was add “or a disinfectant agent such as bleach solution.”
All CS reps should be required to run an Airbnb temporarily as part of their training. Ha!

3 Likes

Airbnb keeping up on stuff, knowing what is going on, giving good information and making totally rational rules? :rofl:

2 Likes

Nope, they haven’t changed anything. They’ll probably require us to keep to that protocol forever. They do love virtue-signalling, no matter how much time or money it costs hosts.

1 Like

I am laughing and laughing. Hilarious! I tend to take really fast and reread really fast. I have only had a listing for five months, but I decided to refresh my listing and I also found a couple mistakes. However my mistakes were not so funny.

1 Like

It flies from the roof of the AirBnb emergency SUV that comes to kick out bad guests when a host calls about a party I am pretty sure.

RR

10 Likes

So you use it on yourself?

2 Likes

Yes, I do. I don’t personally find it icky, most people would be appalled at my tolerance for “germs” and other gross stuff. I wouldn’t admit to some of it here. But for the idea of an accommodation, yes, I’d argue that a fresh roll each changeover is a good idea. As I said in the post, it costs me nothing extra and might favorable influence a guest or two.

4 Likes

I keep the used rolls on a shelf in the laundry room to “air out” any germs before rotating it into my own bathroom. A quick spritz with Lysol works, too. I used to tidy up the roll and make a little triangle for the next guest, like hotels do, but when I open again I’ll go to the store and buy the small individual rolls for each guest.

I find that these little touches impress guests for that “sparkling clean” comment and I often get “she’s thought of everything and made us feel special” in reviews.

After all the stupid hoarding I think it makes a great impression.

1 Like