After accepting a 1-night reservation 12 weeks from now, a family member announced a big event that I did not want to miss. However, the consequence of canceling a confirmed reservation is severe, as follows:
- The date is blocked on the calendar.
- I would lose my super-host status for an entire calendar year
- My flat fee for host cancelation is $50.
- The cancelation is reviewed by Airbnb and if there are 3 or more within a year, there is a suspension of the Airbnb accommodation.
- The guest has the option of leaving a review
This is how I solved the issue:
Since our Airbnb is one room and a private bathroom in our home, I first tried, to no avail, to find a trustworthy and reliable co-host. Then I reached out to the guest and asked if he had any flexibility in his travel plans. He did not. Next, I asked him if he would be willing to ‘mutually cancel’ the reservation. No one is penalized with mutual cancelation. With 12 weeks before his arrival, he was willing to find another Airbnb with no ill feelings. He was completely amenable to the idea in light of the fact that I have a family event that was planned outside of my control. I am hopeful this will help others who might find they are in a similar regrettable situation. I had never done this before, so I contacted Airbnb to get guidance. They were tremendously helpful!