Helping Hosts in Ukraine

More

1 Like

Youā€™re correct, to a certain extent. However one of the biggest issues, for folks in the UK sending donations to the Ukraine is, believe it or not, Brexit!

Since the UK left Europe, the paperwork involved when exporting goods is complicated and the checks made by the French authorities are strict. The fact that it is humanitarian aid makes no difference, if the paperwork and the goods contained in the lorry donā€™t match, it goes nowhere. Iā€™ve noticed a couple of articles in the UK press commenting on the fact that at least two lorry loads of donations are currently stuck at French customs.

This cumbersome paperwork is also causing problems at donation centres, a major one in Glasgow has had to ask folks to stop bringing stuff as they simply canā€™t cope with sheer volume of goods and the related documentation. So far, theyā€™ve managed to send eight 7.5 ton lorries on their way.

The supply chain from Andalucia is working well due to the number of Ukrainians who live here, as many of them are involved with getting the vehicles to the Polish border. How much is actually getting into the Ukraine Iā€™ve no idea, but a lot of the folks who are currently crossing the border into Poland have nothing more than the clothes on their backs.

There is another convoy leaving the city of Cadiz, just down the road from us, this coming Wednesday. They have been responding to requests for:

The promoter of the initiative explains that the people who care for the refugees have asked them to send them basic medical supplies such as ā€œsanitary backpacks, hydrogel bandages, dressings, iodine, chlorhexidine, analgesic ointments, anti-scalds, tourniquets, manual resuscitators, occlusive bandages , emergency bandage, blister carrier, hydrocolloid dressings, hemostatic bandages, dressing sets, intravenous catheters or intravenous infusion systemsā€.

A far more sobering list than wet wipes and nappies.

JF

3 Likes

One caution I have read about the charities trying to help is that organizations already in Ukraine have the best capacity to actually help quickly. There are lists online but UNICEF and the International Rescue Committee are a couple.

2 Likes

Samaritan Purse (started by Rev. Billy Graham ministries -also has shoebox campaign) is there on the borders.

Their ministry is too fundamentalist for me but they are amazing with humanitarian aid. Most of the times they are first in disaster areas. They are a well oiled machine. If the goal is to provide timely & cost effective aid they are my favorite. I respect what they can accomplish.

They are based in Boone, NC (90 minute drive from me). They were on local news saying the medical supplies are in high demand as well as the basics of food, water, & shelter.

One of my former students runs a non profit called Lifting Hands International. It was started to help Syrian refugees in Greece but they have moved some effort to this war. I trust her and the organization in terms of money handling.

2 Likes

I just booked three Airbnbā€™s in Ukraine. I chose private rooms in homes. There are many hotel rooms available but I wanted to help individuals. Have gotten wonderful responses Including a promise that all the money will go to resistance fighters.

3 Likes

I read something yesterday where a Ukranian said they were very appreciative of food, clothing and money, but what they really need are bulletproof vests and helmets.

1 Like

I understand why you write this, but Iā€™d like to pose another view. There are people who are desperate in the Ukraine. They are trying to get out to safety with their children and they need money. There are resistance fighters who need money. By booking an Airbnb for 40 or $50, money is getting directly into the hands of people who need it. And some of these Airbnbā€˜s have probably just been set up in the last few weeks and donā€™t have reviews. I am not booking hotel rooms but I am booking private rooms in homes and the responses Iā€™m getting are really incredible. Itā€™s not often that Iā€™ve had a chance like this to help someone who is literally on the front line.

1 Like

I understand your approach. Our efforts are of necessity imperfect, and we need to act upon limited information.

Iā€™m not religious but this is apropos:

ā€œCast thy bread upon the waters, for thou shalt find it after many days.ā€ Ecclesiastes 11:1

2 Likes

Well, donā€™t send money to NEW accounts, only send money to hosts that have their property in Airbnb longer than when this war started and also have previous reviews, this will tell you the account is legit.

3 Likes

I have also been booking experiences in Ukraine and sending money to people that way. I can imagine many of them need cash in hand for necessities, for travel expenses if they are evacuating, and for whatever.

My stepson has a business that sells things online on eBay, Amazon, etc. Some Ukrainians are buying things they can use for military operations like night vision goggles and so on. He is shipping the items to them for free.

6 Likes

Thumbs up on the Experience bookings. I just booked a mountain biking adventure, something I would never do IRL. Some hosts have edited their descriptions; here is Yuriā€™s:

ā€œSUPPORT UKRAINIAN ARMY adventure.
Please note, when you will book this tour all money goes to Ukrainian Defence Forces fund.
We will be able to provide your adventure as soon as russians will stop to bomb Kyiv city.ā€

Many of these Experiences donā€™t cost a lot. I think any amount will be helpful. There are always risks that people can be dishonest or funds can be diverted, but I am not worrying about that.

I am in a fortunate position to be able to donate to Ukraine hosts. Iā€™m contributing my March STR receipts.

5 Likes

I had seen that one was but nervous about funds being misdirected. If you actually take him up on the tour after the war, let us know how it goes! LOL.

One advantage to experiences booking is it doesnā€™t block up a calendar for someone with one or two rentals.

2 Likes

Ya never know, maybe the host is a false flag operator busily shoveling the funds to Moscow (in a wheelbarrow I guess with the banking sanctions), but I kinda doubt it. Or maybe itā€™s all going into his personal account.

No mountain biking happening. I have bicycle PTSD from when I ā€œinheritedā€ my auntā€™s ancient Schwinn tank-like bike as a kid. It outweighed me and I have permanent scars from trying to maneuver that monster.

1 Like

Even then, the nation is at war. I assume the hosts are putting their funds into a personal account as well and donā€™t expect them to use the money for flak jackets or kevlar helmets.

1 Like

Sadly, many are.

JF

ā€¦

1 Like

I understand that. But I donā€™t care what they use the money on. I do care that the money is landing in Ukraine but beyond that, not so much.

Do you know the song ā€œIf I Had a Rocket Launcherā€ by Bruce Cockburn? Every war that song is on repeat in my head.

2 Likes

I keep hearing that perhaps apocryphal Vietnam era excuse in my head, ā€œWe had to destroy the village to save it.ā€

1 Like

Following peopleā€™s advice to check if the host I was booking owned multiple properties I looked at their profile and this came up:
ā€œAlso, one of my hobbies is poker. Iā€™ve already been able to play poker games in Berlin, Barcelona, Las Vegas, Prague, Miami, and many more.ā€
I am not judging, a friend on mine put herself through college playing poker on weekends in Atlantic City. Just interesting to see that people have all sorts of backgrounds.

1 Like

Being a home share host, Iā€™ve found that my guests have had some unusual and interesting life stories. Itā€™s fascinating to me to hear all the various things people have done.

I heard something the other day I wrote down, which I loved:

ā€œWe need to remember not to judge someoneā€™s story by the chapter we walked in on.ā€

That was from Abby the Spoon Lady, who many people have assumed is some backwoods gal from the Appalacians, because that is the genre of music she plays, likes to go barefoot, favors overalls, and has no teeth.

In fact, she was born and raised in suburban Wichita, Kansas in a well-off family, and attended private schools before she took off train-hopping and being a street musician.

6 Likes