Helping Hosts in Ukraine

There are many ways to help the people of Ukraine but here is one that specifically helps Airbnb Hosts and possibly provides emergency accommodation to others for free. A 1 bed apartment in Kyiv typically rents for USD20-30 a night. I booked one for a week for USD125 and told the Host I wouldn’t be coming but they might (obviously up to them) use it for someone needing free accommodation.

This is the lovely response I got:
“Biggest thanx ,James , for your messsages attention , and support ! :pray::ukraine:hope to see you soon!
i am touching for your messages😔”

11 Likes

Great idea. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

This was discussed in another thread this morning. We went off topic on a Russian guest thread. Anyway, I did the same, I made two bookings for ASAP. I also got very moving messages in return. @JJD suggested booking and then cancelling if they were non refundable so that they could rebook and make more $$.

8 Likes

Also it was verified Airbnb is not taking fees on these reservations. Plus idea floated if you aren’t going to use the freebie Superhost $100 travel voucher, use it for this instead of letting it expire.

10 Likes

Done. 3 bookings in Lviv, which must be inundated with refugees traveling to Poland. I wish Airbnb could send the funds immediately instead of at reservation date.

6 Likes

I made myself feel better by hoping that they are all booked and that a steady stream of income is better than a bunch at one time. And shoot, it has to be faster than waiting on aid from a large organization. Right? Right? Sigh.

6 Likes

Refugees arriving in Berlin were greeted by 1000s of Berliners offering housing.

8 Likes

I searched in Lviv and booked the earliest dates I could find, which just happened to be this weekend so the host should have the money pretty quickly.

2 Likes

The director of the CEIP Guadaluz de Guadalcacín, Soledad González, made an appeal this week from her center for Jerez residents to participate in a campaign to collect food and basic necessities. The goal was to be able to send them to Poland as soon as possible through the NGO Children of Nad, which takes in Ukrainian children.

After learning about the initiative, municipalities in the rural area, companies, schools throughout Jerez and private citizens have joined this collection in which toilet products, milk, powdered milk for babies, wipes, diapers and preserves were requested.

Both on Wednesday and Thursday, the CEIP of Guadalcacín has been collecting the donations because it is planned that this Friday everything will be loaded on the truck bound for Poland. However, the appeal made by Soledad González has had a “brutal” response, as she has recognized this morning. The center is completely overwhelmed by the arrival of boxes and boxes full of products. “Social networks have made the message reach many people”, she acknowledged, satisfied with the solidarity shown once again by the people of Jerez.

So much so that the director of Guadaluz has claimed that just as citizens and groups have turned, “so do the Administrations. We need another truck, it is not possible to put everything in one with the amount of things that are arriving”.

For now, the first truck is scheduled to leave this noon , “from a Ukrainian citizen who has offered to take it loaded from school to Poland, but we need more help to be able to move everything.”

First HGV left today and there is enough donated goods to fill a second, and by the time the weekend is over, likely a third. Folks are actively trying to source additional vehicles right now.

A neighbouring municipality, Sanlucar de Barrameda, is doing the same. In fact, it appears that across Andalucia it’s a similar story.

A lorry with 20 tons of supplies left Malaga on Wednesday, and another yesterday.

Local transport companies have been donating the use of vehicles and drivers free of charge.

I’m heading back to the supermarket tomorrow, as will many others in our little city, it’s the least we can do.

Well done to those helping out Airbnb hosts.

JF

7 Likes

I, too, have gotten heartfelt replies, including a photo of the young host family “It’s our last photo before war.”

Is it safe to assume that Airbnb is aware of this movement and WILL NOT AUTO CANCEL any booking in Ukraine’s areas that may be destroyed? As long as the host keeps their listing up, and has access to funds deposited by Airbnb, there will be cash flow to them regardless of the physical condition of their property or their physical location.

As KKC points out, this should provide future funds flow to hosts as bookings are made further out in the timeline.

2 Likes

For anyone interested in doing this, suggest not to select new hosts.

Unfortunately, as this method of assistance gets publicized, scammers will likely attempt to set up fake listings.

Human nature, sigh.

7 Likes

Yes they have to be aware because there are many twitter threads about it. Lots of warnings about scammers and some advice to direct money to reputable charities. If someone doesn’t know what they are doing, then I recommend that. I feel confident that the two places I booked are real hosts because they have reviews that pre-date the Russian attack. Same with booking an experience, I’d only book one with many pre 2022 reviews.

1 Like

I can post details of several, if folks want to go down that road, but have refrained as I think the current campaign by Airbnb hosts is probably enough for most folks.

From here, they are mostly Catholic charities who’ve taken it on themselves to provide aid. Just to be clear, the aid is provided without any distinction as to religion, they simply have a better infrastructure for collection and onward transport.

JF

2 Likes

As a completely and totally lapsed Catholic, now a secular humanist atheist, I concur – Catholic Charities is an effective and efficient organization and I support it.

4 Likes

I agree that nonprofits are skilled at the logistics of food, medical care and basic supplies during war and other disasters. I donate to refugee assistance charities.

I consider sending money to Airbnb hosts longer term help and complementary to more immediate nonprofit efforts. Every mechanism has risks; I understand accounts may be frozen or otherwise inaccessible as a result of war or the actions of new regimes.

Refugee and repatriation assistance from NGOs and charities can be a lengthy, bureaucratic process. If some of those Airbnb hosts end up as refugees in other countries, having Airbnb money in the bank can only help. After hostilities, if there is restoration and rebuilding for those who stay in or return to their homeland, individual bank account money is again a plus.

4 Likes

I’m prob a bit more cynical than you, but do concede that they have the infrastructure to get the aid where it’s required, quickly.

JF

One of the charities I support is called the Looking Out Foundation. It was founded by one of my favorite singers and her wife. Almost right away they posted on Instagram and via email that they had made a 100k donation to help Ukrainians and they said which four groups they were sending the $$ to. Existing charities have a lot of resources and connections. But in every case some of the $$ gets skimmed off to pay those folks for their expertise.

The idea of finding a way to give directly to a Ukrainian is appealing and under the current circumstances we just have to hope the money/items get to their intended recipients. A truck of supplies could get waylaid. A plane could get shot down. An unethical worker can steal from the accounts.

4 Likes

Another way to help.

Do you have any air miles expiring soon? Almost all large Airlines have donation programs to charities such as Red Cross. You may wish to find which charities your favorite airline supports & consider if any are a good fit then donate those miles.

For example: Here is Delta’s list of charities
https://www.delta.com/buygftxfer/displayDonateMiles.action

I have posted this on my Fb page when I realized this way didn’t occur to people outside of the str hosting orbit: :peace_symbol: :peace_symbol: :peace_symbol:
LONG LIVE UKRAINE! Regular people, Airbnb Hosts and guests alike are booking (non-refundable) stays in Ukraine. Airbnb is waiving all fees and the total goes to the Ukrainian host securely. Do try to find a small host- not multi-hotel- with many reviews. Be sure to wish them good luck, and cancel asap if you found one with non-refundable option. Otherwise be sure to read their cancel policy and cancel as soon as they will receive all.

1 Like

Thought you would like to know….

2 Likes