Heating on throughout the night

I have a gentleman guest who was staying for 4 night initially, but because I wouldn’t leave the central heating on all through the night he left. I was a little amazed as it pretty unhealthy to sleep with the heating on unless the weather is awful, which it wasn’t. So he stayed 1 night never mentioned it in the morning whilst chatting, but mentioned it upon returning at 6.00pm in the evening ( heating is on 7.00am till 11.30pm) most days if I have guests.

He usually stays in Hotels which apparently leave the heating on all night. As they are charging £20 more per night than me, maybe they cant afford this, surely in some-one’s home you can’t expect this or can you?

Sweet divine, my gas bill is bad enough without leaving the heating on all night. There is no way I could do that it would cancel out anything earned. Heats goes off at 11.00 pm and back on at 5.30 am. I have a supply of extra duvets for guests and a portable heater but only one long term guest used it, but she was from the middle east and thought Ireland was like the north pole. She needed an electric blanket as well.

Reduce, reuse, recycle, we recycle nearly everything in Ireland, reducing it a little more difficult but heavy tog duvets are really good

3 Likes

I believe you have to explain a little better.
You rent a room in your house?
He wants heating in his room 24h/24h?
He wants heating in the whole house ?

1 Like

Hi @Tricia_Morris

I agree completely unless you are in an extremely cold area/poor insulated house, there is no need for the heating on throughout the night.

The residual heat should be enough to keep the room at an acceptable temperature.

I have a heated blanket I can provide if guests really feel the cold. And extra blankets.

Never been asked for them.

What’s the temperature like in your area?

I think guests should be afforded the latitude to have their accommodations at the temperature they find comfortable. If there is a range you would prefer they not exceed maybe you could use a locking thermostat.

6 Likes

Wow. We would freeze if the heat went off at night! What temperature does that room drop to during the sleeping hours?

And the idea that it is unhealthy to have heat while sleeping is an odd one. Why would this be? Is this a studied scientific nugget that I haven’t learned about during my years of study?

3 Likes

The temperature in my bedrooms drop to about 18 or 19C in the winter, without the heating on. Which I think is absolutely fine for sleeping.

1 Like

Ah, in my house, it would drop to about 30ºF if it was only 20º outside. Last night, the temperatures dropped to 5ºF. My guests from the UK think it is very cold here! Thank goodness they brought their “jumpers.”

1 Like

In Prague, the hotel turned off the heat at night. Which was fine because they had heavy duvets on the bed. I even cracked the window, even though the temps outside were -7 C.

Ah yes I would be cold too. Luckily I have incredibly well insulated walls, so having the heating on at 21 during the day keeps it really toasty and it only drop 4c during the night before the heating is back on at 6.30 :slight_smile:

Hi its was 7 degree’s at midnight, no minus here :slight_smile: He was in the back bedroom which had the sun all day as well… 13.5 duvet and also a bedspread plus extra blankets which have never been needed. He said he slept well, but because he went to bed early I think he decided to get up at 12.00 maybe! then wanted the heating on… who knows. My house certainly isn’t cold just look at my bills.

1. Having very different room temperatures
    Going from a hot to a cold environment can increase your blood pressure and that could affect the blood supply to the heart.
    In some people it could trigger angina, heart attacks or changes to heart rhythm. Dr Maurice Pye, consultant cardiologist at York Hospital has said there needs to be a “reasonable temperature”, above 18C, in all rooms

2. A drying atmosphere
    Central heating produces a dry atmosphere, which over months and months is dehydrating to the entire body.

The result might particularly be felt in the sinuses and nasal passages, causing sinusitis.
“If the mucus (in the nose) gets too dry, it turns into a scab or turns to thick glue. It causes discomfort in the sinuses, pain in the cheeks and can lead to bleeding,” George Murty, consultant ear, nose and throat surgeon at University Hospitals Leicester,

.3. Watering eyes
The natural film in front of the eyes is made of three layers: mucus, water and oil.
The oil floats to the surface to stop the water from evaporating, but if the atmosphere dries out too much, the water will evaporate. Chris Worsman, a senior optometrist, has suggested humidifying rooms with a bowl of water or houseplants

I could go on, but maybe throughout your years of studies you may know the rest

It would have been the whole house…

I’ve had some guests the prefer the house warmer than I would like. I just sweat a little and rejoice when they leave and I can turn the heat off :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s funny because in my flat the heating is on all night and off during the day. I don’t know if there’s a right or wrong; I do know I cannot sleep if I feel cold. I have an electric blanket on my bed which is a good solution for providing heat where it’s needed without heating the whole room. I also use hot water bottles again in the bed. You could maybe buy a couple depending on where you are in the world (I say this because hot water bottles are common here in the UK but when I tried to buy one in Mexico they were impossible to find. I ended up with gel packs that I could heat in the microwave.)

This is how I see it, too.

To some extent, what guests “should” expect in homes is irrelevant to what this unique, specific guest requires. He wants heat to be comfortable. You don’t want to provide it because it’s too dang expensive. Neither of you are wrong. Host/guest stays are about meeting the others’ expectations, which don’t happen all the time and it looks like it didn’t in this case. Mismatches happen. If the OP is wondering if other guests may want the same, then if other guests haven’t made this request it’s likely a one-off.

2 Likes

He wasn’t cold in bed, in fact he slept fine, till he felt hungry at midnight…

So the issue was just that he wanted a heated house between the bedroom and the kitchen ? That’s slightly ridiculous

YOUR perception of what is too hot/too cold/not healthy may not be the same as your guests who come from many places around the world. COMPROMISE would have been the thing to do.

1 Like

No he came from London 100 miles away…

1 Like