Heads up - new amenities on your listing

Including the brand of your stove!

That’s been there for awhile. Also the brand of your fridge and the shampoo.

“Oh honey, we have to book this place. They have a Westinghouse fridge!”

What is wrong with this company? They have glitches up the ying yang they can’t seem to fix, and all they can think of to do is add absurd things no one cares about.

6 Likes

Exactly! I can hardly get anyone to read the basic page 1 property description much less what brands of product I offer. My favorite is periodically them popping up a box asking if I offer amenities like: hot water. What? Of course not! Duh!

3 Likes

There’s a permanent “opportunity” on my dashboard I’ve neglected to check, that they say will get me more bookings- I should add “heat” to my amenities list.

I live in the tropics.

There’s actually 18 things on that list- IB, last minute reservations, shorter booking minimum, longer booking maximum, self-check-in, etc, etc.- none of those things are ever going to happen.

I wish there was a box there where I could write, “What part of No don’t you understand?”

4 Likes

The one that concerns me the most is the WIFI speed test. As previously discussed there are too many variables to give a reliable read. Just another way a guest can claim a refund. If they start insisting where I live to do this or have it removed, I’m planning on writing a letter and creating a petition. I can’t believe that a web-based business doesn’t get this.

These amenities are really important so I can tell if I’m renting from a poseur. If I’m looking at a mansion and they have a Westinghouse fridge instead of SubZero then I know to keep looking. And don’t get me started on microfiber sheets!

Edit to add: please read in sarcasm font.

8 Likes

So they did not remove my speed but removed the option to change it. But after the speed test thread I deleted it anyway for the fake claim reasons you mentioned. I still show as having wifi, just no speed listed. It’d be a monumentally dumb move to go from “you can only claim a speed if you test with this tool” to “you can only claim wifi if you tested with this tool”. Not to say “they” haven’t done many monumentally dumb things, but this would be a big one.

Clearly I need to elevate my personal stay game! Or start traveling with you @KKC :joy:

Ok, sorry to get you started but I only use target microfiber sheets for my airbnb and I wash with fabric softener. I take them fresh out of the dryer so that they don’t wrinkle. (I don’t iron). My guests rave about how soft my sheets are. What issue do you have with them? They seem to hold up pretty well and I can get about 6 months of heavy use.

1 Like

I’d have no problem saying in the text of my listing that I “pay for fast wifi but Spectrum can’t always deliver.” My feeling about this is that I have things I offer but they could always go out: AC, heat, electric, a fridge. The plumbing could stop up. But I still put it in my listing. Do I know that wifi speed is more likely to vary than power being on? Of course, but if I’m paying for something I think it’s fair to say I offer it. My TV channels are overwhelmingly internet based. Should everyone who only offers streaming instead of cable quit listing TV as an amenity? I’ve been reading the “don’t post wifi speed test results” for years and remain unconvinced.

I’ve stayed in two multimillion dollar homes in the last 4 years and neither of them had SubZero appliances. I don’t know what brand they were. In Boston we didn’t even use any of them, lol.

1 Like

I feel you. I just have a little disclaimer that says I’m not responsible for outages. But I do see a window to miss an expectation if I claim a particular speed. That’s more likely to vary more than any other service. I say I offer HD Local TV but had to add “except Fox” when a guest called me about it…had to do with football games. Oops.

Well, not that anyone cares, but likely Thermador. No markings. Often “built in” with matching paneling or slick fingerprint resistant stainless. They can be set to open if you gently touch the handle. Slick.

I think it could be a problem depending on what kind of listing you have and your market. If you get mostly one or two night stays from guests passing through, who came to take in some local event, or explore the area, it’s probably not something that has much potential for complaints if the Wifi isn’t quite up to the speed listed.

If hosts get guests who are doing a “staycation”, digital nomads, etc, they would be more likely to complain or use the “not as advertised” speed as a reason to cancel and/or try to get refunded.

Or me :slight_smile:
…

3 Likes

My dashboard is desperate for me to add a television to my no-electricity camping listing.
Perhaps I should weave one out of sticks.
While I’m at it, I could make the crib they are recommending for the children we don’t allow.

6 Likes

You can provide this for free, along with other good stuff by adding an inexpensive digital antenna ($15 or so). The guest then changes the SOURCE on the TV and VOILA - Fox and other good stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+antenna&i=electronics&rh=n%3A172282%2Cp_72%3A1248879011%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_36%3A-1500&dc&crid=J2JC7NWC23VP&qid=1635636569&rnid=386442011&sprefix=digital+a%2Caps%2C1320&ref=sr_nr_p_36_5

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s what I have (gets a crazy number of channels) but Fox doesn’t show up. I did discover just last week I can get Fox channels via a free app on the TV. I haven’t sorted it out yet to give guest instructions but I will.

6 months of use. I’ve gotten 4 years of use out of 100% cotton sheets, they are easier to remove stains out of, don’t make you hot and they resist pilling better than microfiber (and aren’t made out of plastic like microfiber). I know some people like them, but, they have many issues and really don’t last very long.

3 Likes

And they are the most revolting sheets to use in the tropics!

5 Likes

I don’t iron and I worry about how wrinkled they get. I’m getting ready to refresh my linens. What thread count do you get and do they wrinkle if you don’t get to the dryer quickly?

I line dry my bedding, mattress pads and bath mats but dry the sheets and towels. I have dryer lines hung all over my basement but find the sheets and towels don’t comet as nice unless I dry them.

I believe it. I still have some that are used in the rentals what were bought in 2015. I use some from that same buying spree at home (they are not good enough for the rentals any more).

They wash beautifully and rarely stain. I take them out of the dryer as soon as they’re done and fold them so never have to iron them. When Shirly Conran developed her motto '“Life’s too short to stuff an mushroom” another way of putting it would be “life’s too short to iron sheets”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I only use cotton sheets - the higher the count the better. Other sheets are Awful- they don’t breathe & you sweat all night. I use the hotel maid trick of getting the sheets from the dryer and spraying them with hot water after I put them on the bed. Gets rid of wrinkles without ironing.

2 Likes