Hardest part of hosting?

Right…that was just the auto correct!

I always bring my English Setter ‘Donnie’ on the boat runs with my guests, he helps me amuse the guests with his parlor tricks during the 30-minute ride.

2 Likes

My husband is an academic. Apparently parents these days call professors when their kid has a problem or doesn’t like his grade.

These are college students who are over 18…Think about that for a minute.

When I was in college I don’t think my parents even knew exactly which courses I was taking any given semester. All they cared about was that I graduated in 4 years!

3 Likes

Here’s one of my dachshund mix looking almost as spoiled.

4 Likes

Yup, it’s the helicopter parent generation. My kids would be mortified if I did that. Although I help them address or confront it themselves if they feel a grade isn’t fair. But would never step in for them, yikes!

So cute! A dog under a blanket just tugs at my heart and makes me want to cuddle him!

Because my guests are mostly here for several months, cleaning doesn’t loom large for me. I usually hire someone to clean in between guests.

One thing that’s hard for me is deciding who to let into my home. Email conversations with prospective guests can help me to that, along with following my instincts. OTOH, my two most recent inquiries are from people with insufficient English for me to learn much about them or be sure they understand me. One I just got is entirely in German. I don’t know any German.

Another hard thing is that I’m just not good at dealing with people who break the house rules. I have very few, most of them to protect my health (sensitive to fragrances). I can always think of what to say to politely correct them, but often just can’t bring myself to say it. Lately I’ve started doing it by email through Airbnb. That way I skirt around my discomfort with confrontation, and also create a record of my attempt to get them to follow the rules.

2 Likes

Probably 90% of my guests over the four years have kept to their rooms. They come here for a purpose and are busy with whatever they’re here for, plus they have internet and cable. They didn’t come to see me, and since my guests are usually working or studying here, they don’t need me to give them local color like tourists might. My welcome letter has all the info about local shopping, post office, etc., so there’s really nothing to talk about.

I do the same, i send all my “corections” through AIrbnb messaging. I really dont have problems telling guests what they did wrong. Its just when its one person who does so many things wrong, then it becomes a bit uneasy for me and I want him out.
I just started hosting long term after more than a year of only 1-2 days stays. Though i love it because its so much less work, one of my guests started to get on my nerves a bit.
He is here for 2.5 week, and first 10 days i never saw him or heard him. He did few things “wrong” then, like putting his huge cowboy boots at the entrance of the door, in addition to his other 3 pairs of shoes. WHo knows why he put it there instead of his room, but i told him, not a big deal, he put it away. Then washing everyday, though my rules say only 2 loads a week.
Few last days he makes coffee on a kitchen, and packs his lunch. Idont know why he changed his routine of not doing it, but he drops things and slams kitchen cabinets. He leaves the house when its not even 7 am, so all of this is going since 6 am, when the whole house is sleeping. My other guest from downstairs was visibly pissed off and asked me to tell the guy to keep it down. I now put in my rules not to use kitchen before 7;30 am.
He also dropped some orange color chips or crackers, spilled coffee on a floor and countertop, and when i came out on a kitchen it was ant fest in there.
Then he parks his huge truck on my driveway. Truck is very long, so he needs to park it very close to the house not to block sidewalk. I came home yesterday with a bunch of grosseries, and had to walk on my garden. When i asked him to park on a street from now on, he started arguing with me.
I wrote to him today and it was quite a long message with all the things he should and should not do.

I

1 Like

If you changed his mind about him and wanted him to leave would you anticipate any difficulty?

I dont think i will have difficulties. He is not bad, today all was good. The guy is a bit weird in general, but what do i know, i never lived with roomates so i dont have big experience in sharing living space with someone on a permanent basis.
He comes home and runs straight in a shower. I think before i stopped his laundry thing he would do laundry the same time. I think it is his routine after work: laundry, shower. He showers for at least 20 minutes in a mornings, and then repeats the same thing at night. WHat on Earth he is washing in there, 3 times a day, having office job?? He goes to dinner and then when i hear him coming home, i know a shower will follow.
He has enermous amount of things. His room is cluttered to no belief. I went there to clean yesterday and i stopped because it was impsossible. I asked him to tidy up first.
See, i have to point things out to him often. I dont like doing it, he is a grown man.
Also, he is creepy. I think he is trying to flirt with me.

1 Like

Some people just like to shower a lot. I think it’s partly a cultural thing. It’s arguably better than the alternative. Maybe not if you have to pay the water bill, though.

Obvioudly, lol ,some people like to shower a lot. Some people with OCDs…And no , he is not from Asia:)

1 Like

When I travel to a place with high humidity like Florida; I shower a lot. If you live in a dry area you are not used to your hair sticking to your neck or to getting sweaty right after a shower. You feel like you need to shower again. I am surprised at all the posters here who are shocked at people who shower twice a day. It’s really not uncommon.

3 times he showers … Full showers like 20 minutes each time. I can hear it

1 Like

Is he a contractor or other manual labor type job?

But 20 minutes is completely unnecessary and disrespectful. That’s YOU paying for that extra water and heat for a shower that is four times as long as it should be. Twice a day. I don’t know. I don’t think this clod is a fit for your household. He wouldn’t be a fit for mine.

1 Like

3 times, not 2, one in a morning, one after work, and one around 9 pm before he goes to bed. You would think if he takes 3 of them they would not be that long at least. I spend 20minutes there only if i wash my long hair, but if without it its ussualy 5 minutes for me.
Yeah, he is not ideal, thats for sure. But i hardly see him, thats a good part. Plus,i will be traveling too, so i wont be around that much anyway. Thats the best part of long term that i can leave on a trip

1 Like

Water and utilities cost different amounts in different parts of the world. We have no restrictions on shower, washing machine and dryer use, yet our utility bills have not increased since we began hosting. I believe that it would work better for hosts who live places where utilities are expensive to explain that instead of assuming that the guest is taking advantage or won’t comply once they understand. I have to explain to our guests that because we are in a drought our grass is dry so we can’t permit grilling. Once we explain they understand and don’t press the issue.

No, he is an engeener, thats the thing. He is never outside, the only time he spends outside is walking to his car and back. If he was outside worker than no questions asked, its 95F outside. But why would a guy who spents all the time inside and sits all day too want to take so many showers. For me its OCD.