Guests with too many questions?

I’m still new to hosting (20 guests) and so far so good. But I have a guest coming in two weeks and they keep sending me a few questions/week (they booked 4 months ago!!!), most of them are answered in the listing. I am really worried what they’ll be like in the house since they are already giving me a headache. I manage a remote ski cabin remotely and neither me nor the house are set up for high maintenance guests. These guests are getting the deal of a century, they were one of my first bookings, I didn’t know what I was doing and my prices were waaaay too low + I didn’t do any screening. Does anyone have a trick to make them realize that they should a) be happy with what they have and b) read the listing instead of asking me about everything? A trick for me to just get through this will work too :slight_smile:

“Your question is answered in the listing. Please read it.”

3 Likes

It comes with the territory. I would not immediately assume they will be high maintenance. (Although they could be). Had a recent guest with a million post booking questions. I didn’t hear from the at all during their stay.

3 Likes

When you answer a question that is clearly in the listing, be very polite and include a link to the listing and tell them the heading/section/etc. where they can find it. I’ve found that guests usually apologize after you do that once or twice.

2 Likes

I agree with Brandt, it comes with the territory.

You need to put that front and center in your listing.

Look we all want to sit back, do as little as possible and rake in the dough but that’s not the way it works.

Realize that you can’t control everything and relax with your method of choice: music, meditation, wine or a pipe. LOL.

3 Likes

Thank you all!!! It helps just to hear that this is part of the job and others know what I’m talking about. I have no one to talk to about this :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can sit with us.

12 Likes

This.

You’ve only just started and you’ll soon discover that guests don’t read. They don’t read your listing and they won’t read your house manual. Hopefully you have a good co-host who will deal with them during their stay.

I’ve had many guests who have asked a million questions before the stay - it’s simply part of our job to answer them. And remember that every question is a sales (or consolidating) opportunity.

a) Don’t think of it as a battle and something you have to ‘get through’, b) concentrate on the money you’re earning and c) drink wine. :wine_glass: :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll offer a different view. Have you checked the guests reviews of previous hosts using the AirReview chrome extension? Does this guest have any reviews from other hosts?

If your gut says they will be a pain and/or you are risking a bad review, then trust your instincts. Call airbnb and use one of your free “we are very uncomfortable with this guest” cancellations.

It sounds like, with 2 weeks out, in high season you could probably replace the revenue? Perhaps fewer days but a higher rate? If yes, I would not hesitate. You are running a business and your interests come first.

1 Like

I’ve decided my instincts are completely worthless when it comes to guests.

4 Likes

If you are lucky, they actually look at ALL the photos!

1 Like

Could it be that the price was so low when they booked that the guest is now wondering “Is this too good to be true?” And therefore asking lots of questions to be sure.

3 Likes

@Susanna07 If a guest asks me questions, the answers to which are evident in the listing, I send a message back like " Hi XX, I’m more then happy to answer questions, but all that you just asked is answered simply by reading thoroughly through the listing description. Once you do that, if you find anything confusing or unanswered there, ask away and I’ll be happy to clarify for you."

2 Likes

Me too. I’ve been wrong far more than I’ve been right. (Confirmation bias is real.)

Okay, here’s the trick: You really really want them to have a most fantabulous time and anything you can to do help, well, that will make you feel really really good. Seriously. I’m not being sarcastic. This is the trick.

When they ask questions it makes your job easier. Especially if the questions can be answered so easily as to read the listing - which means you already have the answer. :wink: Guests who ask obvious questions that are easy to answer…they are a gift. Don’t think too much about it, just graciously and politely answer their question and you win :grin:

I don’t recommend this. It’s rude and will make the guest feel bad about asking. You don’t want the guest feeling bad before they even arrive.

Don’t do this either. There is nothing about asking questions that makes for a bad guest. Guests who ask questions are communicating with you and getting guests to communicate is half the battle (at least). Just be polite, friendly and informative - these are the cornerstones of hospitality.

Grace. The trick is grace. (And, sure, also wine :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I have a PDF of Frequently Asked Questions I supply when a guest is doing the 200+ questions after booking. It seems to answer most of them.

4 Likes

I am with @Jefferson with this one. If it was a instank book then cancel as uncomfortable and raise your prices for that time period and get a better booking.

RR

1 Like

Thank you folks, it’s pleasing to see that I’m not the only one who constantly prescribes a little drop of :wine_glass: to get through the rigours of having a steady procession of complete strangers toddling up to your front door, expecting the experience of a lifetime, and all for less than the cost of a night in the skanky hotel up the road.

Surely you can have no doubts now about the optimum solution?

:wink:

JF

5 Likes

When I first started AirBnBing a few years ago it was a house at a ski hill. I found guests often asked questions that were obvious in the listing and had me thinking WTF am I hosting guests with diminished capacity?!
When I realized 90% + seemed to be doing everything off their cell phones. I would answer the question they asked then suggest politely that they access the listing through their computer it will be easier for them to find all the information they need.
I may be wrong but for me navigating AirBnB online is much easier.

5 Likes

This is an excellent point. Hosts who have never been Airbnb guests and hosts who aren’t familiar with the app are at a disadvantage.

3 Likes