Guests who act disinterested in the tour, rush you, and cut you off

You have many homes to look after. Most here have - one.

The more I read on here the more convinced I am that hosts are The Worst Guests Ever! They know everything, theyā€™re always better than you and will not hesitate to leave a horrible review.

4 Likes

You must have a lot of unique things in your rental, which is probably way larger and more expensive and complicated than mine. This is why I say as little as possible. Point at the snacks in the tray, point at the bathroom and give them a cold water and disappear to let them get their bearings. And Iā€™m a Super Bā€¦ch too! :))))) We all have our different ways of interacting and there is no right or wrong way to do it.

2 Likes

I gots 2 :slight_smile: But the 2nd one is pretty easy because itā€™s in the desert and the season is fairly short and the guests stay long-term except for Coachella, StageCoach, etc. events.

Weā€™re on the same wave length :))))) I love your comments about the cutlery. Reminds me of a man I knew who would have house guests occasionally and his tour included showing where ALL the light switches were.

2 Likes

One person rolled their eyes as I mentioned that there were no ā€œcatchesā€ on our Elfa drawers and to be careful that they didnā€™t have to pick up every piece of cutlery that own. Sure enough, next day I hear a huge crash. Yup. They just pulled full speed and every bit of cutlery was on the floor. I should have made them wash them all too, but I was nice and didnā€™t.

3 Likes

You mean you seriously think that by warning the guests the drawers wonā€™t end up on the floor? Even if they are extremely careful, all it takes is pulling the drawer out that 1 extra millimeter and BAM.

I have a nightstand next to my bed. My dad made it when he was in junior high school. I love it, but it has no catch to stop the drawer. Guess how many times a month all that crap in the drawer ends up on the floor? :)))))))))

Wow. Thatā€™s pretty bad. :smiley:

1 Like

Well, doesnā€™t happen to me. Just donā€™t pull it out fast. Or use the silverware I have placed in your room in a foolproof pencil holder.

1 Like

Yes it is! :)))) But the drawer is very shallow (short?) AND Iā€™m opening it while lying in bed. At least thatā€™s my excuse.

YES!
And then they complain about things they could have prevented if theyā€™d listened but they complain in their review.
My absolute least favorite guests.
Euro men often, thatā€™s true but just as often American Princesses. I would ban them if I could.

1 Like

Speaking of Princesses. Yesterday I dropped off 6 Millenniums (3 couples) at the island, the same group I been very leery for the last month. The three Princesses all in decked out fashion and flowing long hair, drew long faces when I pointed out they couldnā€™t blow dry their hair (solar power).

5 Likes

ugh.

I feel for you. It would be nice if they were realistic but I think the least they can do is read the listing.

We had one guest who complained that we didnā€™t have air conditioning. Hello? Itā€™s on the listing and thereā€™s an actual rant about how I detest air conditioning, itā€™s bad for you and weā€™re never getting it, on our Facebook page which I must have nudged her toward at least half a dozen times.

They donā€™t read, they donā€™t care they are all Me Me Me. And I wish theyā€™d stop reading our reviews and read the listing instead. At one point I even had it written in the listing ā€œWe are Princess averse.ā€

No help - if theyā€™re going to be a bad guest, they donā€™t even bother reading the list of amenities because - as you know, they already know everything, right?

A new thought came to mind today. I have noticed that guests I havenā€™t like the most, are not the original people that booked, but their ā€˜offspringsā€™, the people they have invited or dragged along. In turn, I made the mistake of making extra people beyond 2 way too cheap, thus giving the incentive for the originators to do try to find more people and then reduce their cost overall. End of that incongruity.

Most booked 2 people originally and then will add more as they get closer to their trip, and I send them to Airbnb to modify their booking. They will simply love the ~new~ price for additional friends, who are more hassle then they are worth, but I will welcomed them now with open arms, at the new price!

1 Like

Great, this is my most recent addition too and it certainly makes me feel a lot better about washing linen for 6 instead of for 1.
(oh, and every girl should be denied their hair dryer at some point in their youth! :joy::joy:)

1 Like

Yes Aā€¦after playing around with different models, this one is really playing out really well. I made the base price palatable for 2, and 25% per extra guest (though they always come in pairs) so now get 50% more when goes to 4. With 6 is like two bookings in one. Trust that made sense.

Before had an extra-person charge so low, the result was getting a 6-person group that added maybe 30% to the bottom line, yet doubled the work and almost doubled the overall cost.

3 Likes

What!? No hair dryer!! I think Im breaking uo with you @Mearns!

1 Like

Absolutely, the extra work gets old real quick. :unamused:
My best guest was a local, lovely vet student whos parents booked my house so he could study in peace for his final exams. He used a bowl, spoon and glass and made no mess! What a joy.
Your Island is a bargain as is, why make it even cheaper for people to double your work load without you doubling the income.
Nice job. :ok_hand:

Must be why I have had all these single, male guests lately lol actually never had a single disrespectful or sexist male guest, a few problems with young unrealistically demanding girls though. Taking this opportunity to make a sexist comment myself, I think my male guests have been much less fussy & really appreciate the small things I do like flowers & lollies in the room and if I feel like baking enjoy the cookies I make etc. some of the women Iā€™ve had didnā€™t say thanks for anything, others bought me nice gifts like soap & chocies. People are just people I guess.

1 Like

Wow bit harsh.
As you said, you have no experience of hosting in your own home but
Iā€™m surprised at your comments given your
profession. I do host a room in my own small home and I find your approach a bit naive and even disrespectful of the nuances of being a guest in ones home. Remember, we are opening our home to complete strangers and leaving our most valued possessions there as we go off to work each day. The tour is about giving the guest & host who might otherwise not see each other much, a chance to build rapport & trust in this situation & avoid the inevitable misunderstandings. I have $300 pots and heirlooms in my kitchen, itā€™s my home, and a coffee machine, microwave, grill & oven which are different in every home Iā€™ve ever been to. I let people know what they can use, what they canā€™t, where they can store the food & how to use stuff. I donā€™t want my stuff broken & I want them to feel confident to use stuff & not stressed if Iā€™m not home. People who donā€™t want this and a few instructions on the nuances of how the hosts runs their home should not be renting private rooms on Airbnb.

3 Likes