Guests using my place for photo shoot

To get you started:

Martin and his guest held a commercial photoshoot at my cottage without my prior knowledge or permission. On the day of departure, they were still in residence at 11:30 am (checkout being at 10:00 am) and refused to leave, blaming it on the weather conditions. He also refused to adjust his reservation, stating it was not his fault the weather was bad. Thereafter, he would not answer my calls or messages to vacate the premises. I contacted Air CS for assistance and they accomplished the deed. Needless to say, I cannot recommend either Martin or Pussy Galore.

9 Likes

OMG, you are too much! LOLOLOL

I’d be having a good time too if I thought I wasn’t going to have to pay for my stay. mc

2 Likes

Be very careful about mentioning the case! Even a reference like this can get the whole thing removed. I would NOT say this.

In fact, when writing a bad review, have a look at the guidelines first because emotions tend to take over and you may end up leaving common sense behind.

Thank you everyone. x

2 Likes

Please, please do give this guy the review he deserves. He behaved appallingly. It will not reflect badly on you. Embrace the opportunity to prick the balloon of a self-inflated arsehole.

BTW, is that really your coffee-maker in the instagram photos? If so, woah!!!

1 Like

Hi Magwitch

All his coffee equipment, taken in my kitchen.

Forensic Report.

28th February- Matin Chiffers ends message/enquiry to book

" i hope before 8pm"
He books for two guests staying 2 nights.

My reply

Dear Martin

Please can you confirm you are two guests in one room.
The weather as you know is not good & heavy snow is expected this evening, through to Saturday.
We are rural here, on country lanes.
This evening I am out, hopefully.Unless the snow prevents the event from taking place, its a fund raiser in Taunton.
I will leave the door to Nursery Cottage unlocked and the keys in the kitchen.

I will pop down to meet you tomorrow.
Travel safely.
There is a local pub just along the lane called the Camelot if you need supper.
Kind regards

Janey.

He replies on the morning of 28th

“Yes thats right i am also a bit worried now as well with the snow, its quite heavy here too”

I ask

Are you heading to London?

Him

"i am in surrey’

Me

Heading West then?

Currently we don’t have anything in Somerset. My family are in Devon and Cornwall, they have nothing either.

I checked the property at 4pm on my way out to charity event, it was warm and ready for him. I left some lamps on to make it cosy.

I drove past at 9pm on my way home from charity event, lamps still on, no guests there. No snow, but high winds, Storm Emma is arriving.

I went to bed and woke up at 6am to an air bnb message from Martin Chiffers.
" i arrived safely is there no wifi"
" also heating is not on and does not seem to be working"

I replied

Good Morning
The heating was on yesterday. Has someone changed the timer?
The programmer is a mobile one & on top of the microwave.

The wifi booster is on the sill in the sitting room

There are rad stats on every radiator to control the temperature

It’s a new system.

I waited for a reply it was 6am.
No reply

So I called him at 7am, and woke him up.

He said the heating was off, I said I would come down to the cottage straight way, but he said they were still in bed.
I said I would call the engineer, I did this, he was local and came down within 15 minutes, as did I.

We met at the cottage, at approximately 8am. Mr Chiffers and guest in dressing gowns from my bathrooms when they opened the door, we stood in the sitting room, no evidence of bedding on the floor.

( Mr Chiffers now states in his claim for reimbursement that they slept on the floor in front of the fire as it was so cold.)

The engineer looked at the oil fired boiler outside ( instantaneous system in a housing structure next to side wall of the cottage.) He said the power button had gone off, probably in the storms which had tripped the system.

Boiler running straight away, radiators all hot whilst we stood in the room, all windows are double glazed and new.

Engineer remains in room and witnesses Mr Chiffers start protesting at 4G wifi service from the booster. He has a lap top on the side and says he needs to send and receive videos.

I explained that it states on the listing that the wifi is 3G at the property.

No snow yet, just high winds.Its approx 9am.

I offered to let him swap to my other property, which is up the lane on the actual estate. Its a castellated period lodge, with our own Fire Optic Broad band in it. ( WITNESSED BY ENGINEER STILL THERE.)

Mr Chiffers goes and get dressed quickly. He comes with me in my land rover to view Windsor Lodge.

( A larger property which rents out at a higher charge than Nursery Cottage.)

I showed MC the home, he said it was too dark, he needs light for his photo shoot.

I objected to a photo shoot happening, he said he had told me. I showed him our stream of air bnb messages as above, no mention of commercial photo shoot.

I drive him back to Nursery Cottage, which is very warm.
The engineer has left a mobile number incase there are any issues with MC.

There are umbrellas and light all over the kitchen, boxes of equipment, and the table and chairs have been moved.

I message MC on Air bnb

"

Dear Martin

I am confused about where the email has gone to, that was meant to inform me you planned a photographic shoot in my property on behalf of
Difference Coffee Company, promoting coffee and cigars.

You have not asked my permission to use my property for a photo shoot.

This is currently being confirmed by Air bnb who are analysing the dialogue between us.

You have no rights to use my home for commercial use.

I am utterly aghast at your attitude

I have filed a complaint with Air bnb.

You booked to stay 2 nights for a private visit. I have created a beautiful home with many expensive items in it, not to be used as props for commercial photographic use.
If I intended to allow my home to be used for this reason, then I would be advertising it for this particular role, and charging accordingly.

Martin you have been deceitful.

It then started to snow later that day at 14.30.

No further communication between us, by Air bnb message or on the phone.

The next morning was check out morning, my rules state by 10am.

I drove to the cottage at 12.30 pm.

Both MC and his guest were still there, wearing T shirts, no socks, in the kitchen when I arrived with all the equipment still there.

I pointed out that they had extended their check out time, MC was aggressive and said he couldn’t leave because of the snow. ( It had snowed over night and was approx 4 inches deep on the driveway to Nursery cottage.)

MC stated he was not going anywhere. I asked him to pack all of his equipment up and leave, or adjust his booking to remain.

MC stated he would not be paying anymore money to me, he was agitated that he was losing money as he was meant to fly to Scotland on the Saturday morning for another shoot, and would not be going now.

He was very much in my face when he spoke, he was aggressive and I felt scared. His guest was also in a t shirt and leggings with wet hair from her bath ( he also states there was no hot water during his stay), stated that he was upset, she pushed him into another room away from us and said he was very angry.

I left and sent another message on Air bnb.

" Please adjust your booking to reflect the fact that you have not checked out at 10.00am this morning.

If you intend staying in Nursery Cottage the booking MUST be adjusted immediately.

Thank you."

No replies from MC ever again on the Air bnb message system.

I only communicated with Air bnb from this stage onwards.
They charged him for the additional night that day.

I sent a request for ÂŁ250 for the costs of using the Cottage for commercial reasons, MC declined that request.

The next morning by 11 am they had gone.

At 3pm he
sent a request for a full refund of his stay.

I will try to sen you a copy of what he says to justify this refund.

xx

I booked this property when I searched all listings in the area with wifi, This is one of my upmost priorities when booking anywhere as my business relies on it heavily.
It was clearly listed as having Wireless Internet: continuous access in the listing, and also the wifi symbol was shown.
See images attached included this listing… Please also note that after I had mentioned this and complained that this was then updated, I am glad I took screen shots to send to a friend.
This was so disappointing and really put me in a really bad and awkward situation not being able to work from my PC Laptop.
When I arrived I had an issue with the heating and hot water and I sent messages to the owner who did not help me at all that night and I suffered in freezing temperatures sleeping on the floor next to the fire. The Fire Place is more for show than functional as all the heat is lost in the chimney so it was extremely cold as the UK had the worst weather -4 C and really heavy snow at this time.

In The morning and engineer came and said it had been and electrical tripping of the main switch and he could not find the fault, as it was now running again he would leave it, saying he was afraid it would get worse if he tampered with it, so best to leave it and see how it goes. He showed me the trip switch and left a number to call him if an emergency.
Engineer’s number: 07500221709

That second night I had to make several trips out in the snow to reset the switch that was located outsi

Nursery Cottage

1 Like

Wow… is that his review?

1 Like

No, not his review, that is his justification for asking for a full refund from me.

I have not addressed or opened his review yet. I am getting ideas on how and what to say.

Joan wanted a forensic report of exactly what happened to assist with the review I leave.

Air bnb are on the basis of his complaint saying I should refund him!!!

I’m a bit if a cookery show and chef junkie and I have never heard of him.

2 Likes

So he stays an extra night for free and now wants a refund for his whole stay?!

Who is this guy - sounds like an down and out chef or whatever

He paid for the extra night apparently, but now wants the whole lot refunded saying there was no heating.

1 Like

Hi Jill

Not have I, his facebook page and twitter account seem to full of his merits with the world of cookery.
I feel like writing to Mary Berry to warn her what I have had to put up with!

3 Likes

Quite honestly I wouldn’t bother. She doesn’t even work on Bake Off any more.

Focus on getting things sorted out with Airbnb so this guys claim gets thrown out.

In our future photogenic view and surroundings listing, the air guests will be expected to act like well, guests, sleeping lounging whatever they do. BUT if you want to hire my location for film, book it through peerspace or splacer @ 125.00 per hour 4 hour minimum.

Put in your listing that you have separate pricing for media shoots and that a “guest” can feel free to contact you about them. Also state unequivocally that the listing is for overnight lodging, not media events.

Comments like this is exactly why photographers and film makers don’t ask. Granted these people shouldn’t have been smoking cigars. That leaves an smell in your place. But to charge someone extra money because they want to take photos? Why? So a nude or half nude girl is being photographed in bed or on your sofa. People are having sex in those spots! And I’m talking about your everyday guest. . Do you charge them extra?

1 Like