Guests under age 25 no longer allowed to book entire homes?

From a Facebook Group.

I thought you would like to know.

2 Likes

This is not new. Here’s an old thread about it:

1 Like

Thank you for the information. Recently I’ve had a group of 18-21 year olds inquire about renting. Hmmmmm. I guess they didn’t have a government ID on file.

The party algorithm isn’t new, but it appears from this post they have amended it, I assume as a reaction to the lastest Airbnb party shooting.

It used to be a combination of factors- under 25, entire house listing, short notice booking from local guest, short booking- 1 or two nights.

It appears that now it is down to no entire home bookings for under 25, period.

3 Likes

Must be a geo thing, had a couple of young Dutch kiddies IB recently, both under twenty five.

We are classified as a whole home listing.

Happy to be not in USA :man_dancing:

JF

1 Like

That’s how I read it too.

1 Like

I think it’s very good they implemented this policy. The brain of a human being matures at 25. Until then all sorts of things are theoretically possible.

3 Likes

Statistically I imagine Airbnb identified that the most problematic party reports came from bookings by under 25s.

But certainly hosts have had out of control party scenes by those in their 30s and lovely, respectful, 18 year old guests.

While I understand they are trying to prevent the bad press that comes along with these parties (I don’t for a minute think they are trying to protect hosts or their properties), the only reason they need to create an algorithm like this is because they hide crucial information from hosts, like the guest’s resident location, throwing up obstacles to thorough vetting, push IB on hosts, and don’t remove bad guests from the platform ( they do, but the issue has to be quite serious, it seems).

In other words, Airbnb wants to play helicopter parent instead of giving hosts the info they need to make their own decisions re accepting a booking.

I’m sure there are frustrated hosts and guests this algorithm blocks for no good reason. Like a repeat booker who was a great guest, a serious young person who not only isn’t a partier, but doesn’t even drink, and under 25s who have plenty of great reviews and good communication.

I was married, with a 1 year old child, a thriving business, and my own home by the time I was 23. Definitely not a house-trashing party risk.

It’s one thing to send a warning message that a booking may pose a risk, but hosts should be able to override that and accept the booking if they have good reason to deem it not risky.

1 Like

It looks like this is a response from a customer support person, so you shouldn’t take what they say as policy.

I just went to the referenced article and it doesn’t say anything about renting whole places under the age of 25. That article is about creating an Airbnb account under the age of 18. Here’s a link:

As others have said, it’s part of their party policy, but age under 25 is only one of the factors.

1 Like

That’s when you use the camera to count the kegs as they roll them in before calling the cops and keeping their payment. That will only happen once, and you won’t have to worry about partiers trying to rent for a while, because the word gets around. :wink:

2 Likes

A bunch of big amps and sound equipment are also a bit of a sign that this isn’t going to be a quiet little get-together for grandma’s birthday. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hate to say it, but 75% of my pain in the arse guests who caused extra cleaning (read :face_vomiting: , food mess, makeup & dyes, smoking) & damage were under 25 booker or friend group (vs family) w/ under 25’s.

No sir, I don’t like ‘em unless it’s a corporate booking. I had one claim he and biz partners were coming for work and they were my worst guests to date. As an individual traveler dude has 10 reviews, 5-stars. :woman_shrugging:t4:

I had Air block someone from booking me a few months ago. The guest messaged me for help and I couldn’t figure out what was up for a bit. Person was last minute, under 25 and local. They tried to pass me contact info to book direct. Um, no thanks, in this case.

Current guest is local, last minute (day before) and over 40. Going great and has extended stay twice. My favorite kind of folks.

I would agree that the majority of people in their late teens and early twenties, especially these days (because seemingly not that many have grown up with much expected of them), have little idea how to clean up after themselves, and are not careful with things.

It’s understandable that if they have never had to spend their own money to buy appliances and furnishings, they have no concept of how much things cost, how much repairs cost, and so give little thought to whether they cut directly on the countertop instead of using the cutting board, force something that isn’t opening or functioning easily, thereby damaging or destroying it, etc.

And most people that age are not concerned in general with things in their surroundings. They’ll eat pizza in bed or on the sofa, because some stains on things simply don’t bother them, even in their own homes. They might get upset if their new jeans get stained, or their expensive mountain bike gets damaged, or their phone screen gets cracked, but household stuff is sort of outside their realm of attention.

So in that way, yes, I think they can tend to be PITA guests.
But I’ve certainly had guests under 25 who were delightful and respectful, left their room and bathroom tidy and clean and always cleaned up after themselves in the shared kitchen.

3 Likes

If you catch a renter having a party- can you kick them out? Or how does that work? Is it written in the rules somewhere?