Guests from the area

I’ve had many over the years and they’ve never been a problem. There are many legitimate reasons for locals who need to be away from their own home for a few nights. In fact, we’ve done it ourselves when there has been maintenance work going on or, on a couple of occasions, when we’ve had to evacuate a couple of miles due to extreme weather.

Exactly the point, and the answer is, unless you are a Mob Boss and are immune to the legal consequences … you can’t physically force someone to leave your home.

You can’t physically threaten or remove someone who has established residence in your property even if he has done so illegally.

You have to use lawful means which means, lawyers, expenses, judges, etc…

1 Like

that only works if the reservation was made thru the app…

And you have to be careful if they have renters rights they might sue you!

I had one like that - so many red flags. Message sent at 6pm: “My sister lives in your area and really needs a holiday so I am trying to book the maximum 4 weeks with her 3 kids at your place. She will be arriving at 7pm tonight. Is that okay?”. Errm, no. Decline.

Is (4) really a thing? I once had a realtor approach me and the husband of my female college friend I was staying with in Florida, checking out real estate in the morning in Sarasota, as you do. “Hi are you boys looking to buy around here? I’m Bob and here’s my card. Give me a call if you need anything etc”. At least my friend’s husband didn’t feel the need to point out he was straight. I had to admire him for his chutzpah but being American it was probably just a normal way of drumming up business.

Understand your concern and thank you. Believe me I have the landlord/tenant laws booked marked on my computer being a former property manager for a rental company and I understand that words of caution.

Yes I have those also but they usually replied to my messages and we have conversations regarding their stay. These individuals did not respond at all, I did meet them today and they are a very nice couple who just got back from a 3 month stay in Germany and are moving back to the area. The rented out their home so they are in transition.

1 Like

We have had several. Some families, some just office mates, all who just wanted a place with a pool (and a kitchen) for some R & R with friends or family, to avoid travel expenses. They have all been legitimate and terrific guests, just having a “Staycation”. It seems to be the one-night rentals where ravers or squatters appear to take advantage of the situation.

1 Like

You are most likely to get guests like this at month end. They have no itinerary and offer as little info as possible. In all probability they have been evicted. At the end of their term, having loafed around your place, they will say they have no place to go.

I lie selectively, but mentioning that your lovely sister the police officer will be visiting tends to change a mind or two

We genuinely have two police officers living right in between the two rentals :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Cindy_Turner_Dodd, you situation turned out to be just fine, and they often can be. The only thing I can add, is research research research. I had a local request that sounded legitimate. She needed a place while some work was being done on hers. However, my radar went off so I checked her reviews. Turns out she is a nightmare Airbnb guest. ALWAYS finds fault with her lodgings, takes tons of video of them criticizing every little thing. Accesses off limits areas of listings, and takes video of those as well. Makes false claims of black mold and bugs when you can see clearly in the videos it is simple mildew, etc etc. She then posts those videos on her Facebook page and YouTube. I dodged a bullet with that Decline. I was able to match this person just by searching her first name and using local city for location. Her face matched from her ABB profile. Nightmare guests are not always the sharpest tools in the shed :confused:

3 Likes