Guests from the area

How do you deal with guests who book who live in the area? Unless they give me a specific reason why, i.e., sold home and am waiting for my new apartment won’t be ready until X date. I always get nervous and raises red flags with me because I have had bad experiences with 2 prior guests.

I would totally beware antenna up. Possibilities:

• competition
  • neighbors
  • local authorities
  • realtors who book a cheap night then solicit you to sell your apartment…

Ask for more info!

Having said that if I were any of the above I would not announce my visit by saying I was local.

Maybe a neighbor having visitors. Local wedding, etc. But ask the question!

1 Like

My latest one (arrival today) is booked for 5 nights, I asked 2X’s why they need but no response. I did a search on them but nothing major came up. I will be keeping a close eye on them for sure.

Have you tried sending them a text?

Some people don’t have their profile set up to receive alerts when they are sent a message on Airbnb.

1 Like

I prefer not to host local guests either because they aren’t out seeing the sights. In my experience they stay in all day showering, running the heat, and doing laundry.

You can cancel an Instant Book under the “penalty free cancelation” if the guests is non-responsive to your questions. Sounds like they’ve already checked in, though.

1 Like

Totally right they probably just want the 600 mb fibre optic internet for free for a few days! Maybe have a party or cheat on their spouse! I wouldn’t do it and btw my only less than 5 star review was another host so, would beware of other hosts too.

1 Like

Oh Puhlease, I can find dozens of better ways to find sellers.

RR

1 Like

You still have time to cancel, not comfortable do to lack of response. Not worth the risk.

RR

Well please tell that to Kim of xxx realty who could think of nothing better than to fake book my apartment for a Middle Eastern client who wanted to buy it.

Depends on your location I guess.

Non Red Flag reasons for locals to book:
Having renovations done on house
In between closings for sale of old house and purchase of new one
In between leases

Possible Red Flag reasons:
Lost their house or apartment because of eviction/forclosure
Had a fight with their significant other
No Tell Motel
Actually booking for a 3rd party, such as out of town relatives

Big Red Flag reasons
Drug deals, drug production (meth lab)
Prostitution
Have a competing Airbnb nearby

Does anyone ever get the local nomads who move from AirBnB to AirBnB? I’ve had several guests who say they moved to the area and are “looking for an apartment,” and yet based on their reviews they’ve been using AirBnB in the same city for the last couple of months. It doesn’t take that long to get an apartment, so do they just have such poor credit or low income that they can’t qualify for an apartment, or is there something else up? It feels odd that my house is being used by people who would be homeless if it weren’t for AirBnB, and they always seem to stay around the house all day without ever going out to shop for the apartment. I prefer the out-of-towners who go out most of the day either on business or tourism.

Yeah, I’d give those type of guests a wide berth. Seems like they have a higher probablilty of turning into squatters.

(See the other active thread by TheBlue, who is having trouble getting rid of non paying guests)

Unless they are staying long enough to qualify for tenant’s rights, becoming a squatter is less of an issue, right? These people all stay for 10-14 days at most, and in my city I believe it’s 28-30 days that counts as a tenant. I’ll check out the other thread you mentioned.

I guess, but it’s more the hassle of getting them out.

The police won’t necessarily help, even if they aren’t official tenants. So, how would you go about removing them if they don’t leave the house?

Could be an unpleasant situation all around.

Yes, I see that after reading TheBlue’s post. What a nightmare! Either way, I still try to carefully screen the locals and haven’t had anyone too bad yet (just someone who lied about smoking, but no long term harm done).

Rest assured, many hosts feel apprehensive about renting to locals. You’re correct - it’s a good idea to ask guests questions about their stay in such a situation. If they try to dodge your question that should be a red flag. Other red flags are guests who try to communicate outside of the Airbnb platform or when their tone in general comes across as unfriendly.

Well if you can get a room heat electricity internet and laundry for 20 dollars a night on a fake credit card why would you buy an apartment?

You make an excellent point, always check with local laws what rights renters have after 2 weeks, 3 months, etc. In my country if they stay one day over 3 months it could take 2 years to get them out even if they don’t pay the rent.

Keyless entry and keyed bedroom locks just get changed. Their personal belongs get packed up and moved to the porch. Of course that is only after I have notified them via the app that they have overstayed their welcome.

1 Like

But how do you get their actual bodies out of your house if they really don’t want to leave?

All the ways I can think of involve force, which is nothing I want to be involved in.