Guest with social anxiety, strong depression and panic attacks

Hello
This is a young guest in an internship (long) staying with me for the second time. The first time I was traveling and didn’t see him much. This second time we’re sharing the flat. He’s staying for one month. He was socially “particular” from the start but I didn’t make much of it. Some people are shyer than others. There were a couple of small issues due to him not communicating much at all but solved in the end. The other day I saw he had some tablets on the fridge - in an european language. I looked them up and that’s what I found: “social anxiety, strong depression and panic attacks”. Glups. Next day 4 tablets were missing. (going through a crisis?) I hoped he had enough tablets with him and knew what to do cause I don’t. Next day half tablet missing, next day all gone. In all this time I don’t see him. In the weekend he doesn’t stay over. I worry. He sends me a message on Sunday eve that his parents are visiting London and whether it’s ok for him to show them his room. Relief.
So nothing has happened, I’m just wondering what would I do if it does? and has anyone been in a scary situation that a guest had a crisis at theirs? I mean, things could go REALLY wrong.
Sorry for the rant, I thought it would be interesting to share.

My daughter is on something similar for her anxiety, the same tablets are also used for depression, panic attacks etc, . These tablets are given for a number of reasons, I suggest you mention that you saw them and just ask, as they have been left out for you to see he is clearly not worried about you noticing…there may be a logical explanation.

Yes a guest prone to mental health crises is important. Obviously it’s not your job to fix it. However you could mention you saw the pills in the fridge. I think the best thing would be if the intern would agree to let you know if he has a severe crisis, so you can refer him to the medical services.

2 Likes

who’s the one with anxiety? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’d say they don’t have to tell you anything, guest should be allowed to come and go as they please. Sounds like he was taking the pills, if any suddenly disappeared in ‘bulk’, and coincidentally the guest was out for a day or two, he’s obviously stocked up for the duration of his ‘disappearance’

Maybe don’t think of him as a ‘Guest with social anxiety, strong depression and panic attacks’, but someone who’s coping with the possibility of a mood swing or more if he were to neglect his meds. Not everyone has a crisis the moment they miss a pill.

The “I’ve seen your pills” chat might make him anxious and embarrassed, which is the exact opposite of what you want.

9 Likes

I know. When I read my message I thought the same thing :rofl:

4 Likes

You have to err on the side of caution. The most important thing is that if anything were to happen you would feel 100% happy that you had done the right thing. You are not responsible for his mental health, but I believe we have a moral responsibility for those under our roof. The professional advice would be to communicate, rather than sweep things under the carpet and pretend they’re cool when they’re not.

to be honest I think he might have left the pills in the fridge for me to see. To let me know. So now I know and I’m aware and cautious, and I think that’s all I should be doing. My question is, IF something did happen, what would I do…? If he’s coping with traveling and an internship in a foreign country I suppose nothing REALLY bad could happen. I think I would be OK with helping calm down or similar or call / bring to hospital.

Anyone could have an episode whether you know anything about their history or not. My sister had a diabetic episode while staying in a traditional BnB. I’m sure the proprietor was alarmed when the ambulance was called but my sister would have never discussed her disease with them in advance. Seeing what hosts think is their business makes me want to stay in a hotel.

5 Likes

@delosbueis – You counted his meds – twice – and notice 4 were missing??? That’s just creepy! You’re the one with problems. At least your guest has meds for his…

What else have you snooped in?

6 Likes

Perhaps he left his tablets somewhere he’d remember to take them. I leave my BP pills in my make up for just such a reminder. I’m dumbfounded that you have a) looked his medication up to see what it’s for b) counted them on more than two occasions to see what he’s taken c) passed judgement d)jumped to conclusions. This is none of your business; you are in danger of stigmatising the poor bloke and all you seem to have done is wind yourself up that maybe you have a nutter staying with you, to use the common parlance often found here.

FYI, anti-depressants are prescribed for a myriad of reasons, not just for MH issues, including pain relief for conditions like trigeminal neuralgia and fibromyalgia.

I would suggest that you do not raise the issue with him; if he wants to, he will. And stop judging him.

4 Likes

Are you seriously COUNTING guest’s medicine? I would be furious if I was that guest knowing that your fingers had been on my medication!

Also, like others have said, medications can be given for a number of reasons. There is an anxiety medicine that is also given to help people quit smoking. You have no idea why they are taking that particular medication unless you are their doctor. Stop playing Dr. Google and snooping on your guest!

eta: Just because Google says a medication can be used for “social anxiety, strong depression and panic attacks” doesn’t mean the patient has ALL of those things.

1 Like

Seems like an invasion of privacy to me, although you are coming I think from a caring place. If there were to be a medical emergency, you would handle it just like any emergency you didn’t have an advance inkling of, right? You seem like a capable person, so I would just stop worrying and monitoring. You’ve probably had guests with serious medical conditions you weren’t even aware of.

5 Likes

I confess this has preyed on me unduly in last couple of hours, probably because of my years in the mental health profession, one way or another. I hear no sense of compassion from the OP, nor any sense of caring, unless for herself should an imagined crisis occur.

1 Like

The meds were in the host’s fridge in the host’s home. It’s not like the host was snooping in the guest’s bedroom. People often do leave things in a public place as a means of communication. The host doesn’t need to get involved, just offer to be there if necessary/call an ambulance or whatever.
I have taken guests to an out of hours pharmacy on occasion. I want to know they need something, and to help. I didn’t ask what the medication or illness was.

That doesn’t give the host ANY right to open someone’s medication and count it.

1 Like

Who says the host opened the meds?

How else would you count pills so specifically as to notice that half a pill was missing??

1 Like

I don’t think I would be that keen on someone putting meds in my fridge to be totally honest. What if the host had children? I think it would be more normal to keep meds in the bedroom privately, or ask in the rare case they need to be in the fridge. It does make me wonder if it’s a cry for help. I don’t know, but there is a balance between privacy and care. Remember 13 Reasons Why?

There is a fine line between caring and snooping. Snooping is not good or beneficial

There are many people in the medical field on this thread. Being a nurse has enabled me to have conversations with people they would never have with most strangers . (For some reason old men feel the need to share info about the last colonoscopy?!?!?)

There is no harm in saying “I appreciate you staying in my Airbnb rental. If you ever need anything, just let me know and I will do my best to help”. You’ve opened a door for him to either say “I could an extra pillow”. Or say “I’m having a tough day, could you talk to me for a while”.

1 Like