Guest used my laptop without my permission

(Waaah! I want to relinquish my virginity…again.)

@brook2adks, your proposed review is too tame. Take a couple of sentences from the samples given you - they don’t sound brutal to me and they do convey the “appalling” (apt word!) act by the guest who lifted your laptop without permission.

2 Likes

The moving it and changing channel is what would get me, I think. If he’d just opened it where it was and pulled out the headphones touching nothing else and basically treating it like a TV, and then AS SOON as you walked in said something like “I hope you don’t mind, I have friends in Florida and was hoping to get an update” - that /might/ be OK. Anything else: NO

3 Likes

I’ve only just come across the thread and I see you’ve had plenty of good advice. I’m just trying to get my head around this kind of behaviour from a guest … did he think he could use your hairbrush and comb? Help himself to your clothes closet or … oh look, she’s left half of her sandwich, I’ll just finish it for her! Your family or long-term college room-mate may do these annoying things and you’d probably forgive them but a guest who’s staying with you for a few days? No way!

Words are failing me … this is a complete violation of privacy. I’m usually on the softy side of hosting and I give guests the benefit of the doubt, but in this case it’s quite clear. There are unwritten rules about civilised behaviour (although these days I think they probably should be written!) and lines that shouldn’t be crossed. The fact that he obviously didn’t think he’d done anything wrong only makes it worse … you should both give him a factual review, only citing the laptop incident and report him to Airbnb for the invasion of your privacy.

4 Likes

I think the mistake here is letting him know you were upset.
Best to hold your cool so they don’t leave you a review complaining about, for example, “your possessive nature”.
And then letting them have it on your review. I don’t have any problem with saying it as it is - hosts deserve to know.
I have successfully used the “wait until the last minute” review trick, as if you keep hitting refresh you can pin down the time within 5 minutes.
I also don’t send a request for extra payment because of breaking of house rules etc (sneaking a pet in without paying the pet fee) by waiting until after they write their review.
Some guests need to understand that we are well read and know how the airbnb system works.

I also want to add that every time I have had an issue airbnb have helped and supported me in every way possible. Their customer service has always been in my favour.

4 Likes

Hang in there!!! I’m saving to come to Hawaii on my next next US trip in 2019 and will be leaving you a 5 star :star: review, no complaints about critters or locale and will take my own rubbish and shove it in the exhaust pipe of any shitty guests who checked out before me.

I do expect a great Kona coffee tour recommendation and sunset too!! Bonus points if you can get some hot surfers to walk in shot

9 Likes

I would interpret this as s sexual advance, as it was a couple I would presume he hit you up for a threesome :joy:

2 Likes

It was impossible for me to stay cool in this situation. The man had my laptop, access to so many things.
I guess maybe there is a fine line between relaying to guests that their actions are inappropriate and restraining oneself to not appear too possessive or acting as if policing.
I know one thing about myself, whichever method would be best in a certain situation, I’m probably going to go the wrong way!
It is what it is.
He’s written me a review, I got notice yesterday.
I have until 23rd to write him one.
Since I have no upcoming reservations, (short season here) his review will be the first one people see.

1 Like

You should write yours immediately. This was a stay that did not go well for many reasons.

I thought I should wait? Til last minute?

No need now, since he left you a review. Do it now and let it fly. No Mercy!!!

2 Likes

I guess it was too wordy now that I look at it.
Honestly, I do not care if I ever host on ABB again.

7 Likes

No it is perfect. He’s an idiot who deserved it. Good for you, losing your bad review virginity (thanks to @magwitch for that, :rofl::rofl:)

I also wish I could stop hosting right now. So over it, and done. Sick of their awful lack of support.

4 Likes

@brook2adks

Good job.

2 Likes

Please don’t hurt me, but it’s “its charger”, not “it’s charger”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

See, I leave one brutal review and now people are afraid I’m going to hurt them :slight_smile:
I make many typos, unless it’s an official document, I just don’t get that excited about it.

5 Likes

SMACK!

You should of thought better about the appropriateness of you’re grammar critique.

(I’m going to lie down now after typing that).

4 Likes

@Magwitch Your so naughty! I understand this post must be 20 characters long ,so am prolonging it unnecessarily …

2 Likes

Come to think of it, surely there are some bad-review whores out there on this forum?? :rofl:

you mean appropriatity of you’re grammer critic?

Ha!

I’ll walk the streets for good review! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes