Guest used my laptop without my permission

By extension, @brook2adks shouldn’t have to refrain from leaving her running laptop in common areas within her own house either – at least when stepping away very briefly. Why sacrifice one’s own little joys because of the occasional rude/intruding guest?

6 Likes

My husband and I high fived each other after breakfast this morning - last breakfast, last weekend of the season! We are so burnt out with people, most are nice but the nitpickers have really got to me lately. I don’t want to do this any more, but we have to come up with a plan B until we can sell this place.

4 Likes

I am so burned out. I wish I could stop and just let friends and family use the suite. Take it out of use for a while. After this latest JERK, who slashed me with his disrespect, I am feeling so, so done. :frowning:

6 Likes

Oh, without a doubt. But you never know who might be prying. A little security goes a long way. Though the incessant password typing does become irksome.

3 Likes

I am also at burnout stage. Sitting here stewing over a 3 star review by some witch who couldn’t figure out to operate the shower, so just said it didn’t work… Ugh, roll on October.

5 Likes

I recently had a girl complain in the review that I didn’t help carry her luggage out when she was leaving, that I was rude!!
She also dinged me for ‘communication’ since I gave her, as I do every guest, access to a page I’ve built with info about the place and more!
Oh, and my location rating too, because she found drunks on a Friday night in the street!! Drunks on a weekend in a British city!!!

6 Likes

I have to wonder how old these guests are?? In our home (not our rental) we have a few computers around and it would really bug me when my kids’ friends would come over and just open up the computer and start using it. I told my kids (who were teens at the time) that it was inappropriate, and they need to monitor that and tell their friends not to use my computer, and that they shouldn’t at their friends’ homes.

I had to ban some from coming to our home when they refused to stop.

This is completely inappropriate and insulting behaviour on SO many levels! Not only is he using YOUR computer (would you pick up his iPhone and make a call on it?) but he was using it WHILE EATING! I don’t do that with my own computer because a spill may ruin it.

As others have mentioned, it’s that, when presented with your shocked reaction of his poor behaviour, he had the opportunity to apologize profusely and return it to its original position, or to excuse himself with a lame reason and argue with you. He chose the “loser route”.

If he didn’t “get it” while he was in front of you, hopefully he’ll get it from your review. I’d say:
“Unfortunately, an otherwise congenial stay was ruined when XX decided to help himself to my personal laptop when I was momentarily distracted, moving it to my dining room and eating over it. I was appalled, and when I attempted to retrieve my computer he argued with me. I would not recommend XX in a shared home situation.”

2 Likes

I gave these people, as I do EVERY guest, a 2 page list with area restaurants, attractions. The 2 page list has corresponding phone numbers, AND addresses of each.
I then have a 6 page booklet with driving no dorections from my ABB to most of those places.
I make it clear during my meet/greet that guests can take these papers WITH them and no need to return them, I have plenty of copies.
Guests (including this one) STILL ask me "how do we get to such and such?"
This guest threw in the added work of prior to arrival, asking for coordinates of certain places.

1 Like

I would say mid 30’s for age.
And I’m actually wondering if I shouldn’t report this to trust and safety.
The man had access to everything on my computer!
But only for a few minutes.

3 Likes

They obviously know how to use a computer! :grin: Why couldn’t they find their own coordinates?

When someone asks for something stupidly unreasonable after everything you’ve already provided, I tell them “I may be able to carve out some time to do this for you on Thursday (something that is 2-3 days away). If you happen to do this for yourself before then, please let me know so that I don’t go to the extra trouble for nothing.”

3 Likes

To give some credit, he asked for coordinates realizing that in such a rural area, GPS’s are not always accurate.
That’s very true in my neck of the woods.
I travel the area for work, and GOS/google maps/mapquest have provided me with plenty of misinformation.

1 Like

Or any situation!!! …

1 Like

I’m thinking about this: Guest did not keep me informed of probable arrival time other than date of arrival. Guest left the guest quarters in good fashion, but left dirty dishes in sink without rinsing them. When I left my home briefly, guest took my personal laptop from it’s usual spot on a chair in living room, and took it into the kitchen for his own use as he ate breakfast.

2 Likes

um… Can I be honest? I don’t think it is as concise and clear as some of the suggestions.

Just skip saying the guest left the quarters in good condition… everything else he did negates the one good thing.

Just…

"Unfortunately, cannot recommend xx. Communication was poor, as guest did not keep me apprised of arrival time as I specifically request. Left dirty dishes in sink. But worst of all, XX decided to help himself to my personal laptop when I was momentarily distracted, moving it to my dining room and eating over it. I was appalled, and when I attempted to retrieve my computer he argued with me. ”

6 Likes

Brook, I hope you aren’t trying to soften this review. This guy behaved abominably !!!

3 Likes

I’ve just never written such a brutal review before.
I think your suggestion is great, but don’t want to copy it verbatim.
You are right, despite the unusual number of wierd/jerky guests I have encountered, It’s 2 days later and I’m still feeling how much my privacy was invaded, I just can’t believe the absolute gall. Like today, I was like…he removed my earbuds! He took my computer, closed one window (a news channel streaming live coverage of Irma) and just put on a news channel he wanted. I just still am unable to fathom anyone other than a toddler not understanding the philosophy of not using something you were not told you could use.
So, will eliminate any positive verbiage.
I had to smudge my home to get rid of his vibes. Yucky guy.
And I almost didn’t answer the phone call when he called from outside the house, because he was wondering if he was at the right house (despite multiple photos of outside of house in listing), because his phone came up with a callerID of Bank Of America.
I know that has nothing to do with his uses of the computer, but when I answered it anyway and it was him…I got the heebie jeebies. Maybe it was just the energetic connection (I’m a bit of a woo-woo witchy woman), but it did just rub me the wrong way.

3 Likes

We’ve all been there. The first time is the worst. But you need to relinquish your virginity on this! Everything you have written screams Bad Guest. You know it. Please don’t hold back.

9 Likes

Awe, you are a sweetheart. I totally get it, I also believe in the good energy thing. But listen, guests with supposed good energy will still never fail to crack us hosts hard… us hosts who are opening up our homes to give them an alternative to the $300 Marriott.

Bank of America???!!! Ok that seals it. They were the goons who lied to me constantly, and tried every way possible to grab my house from me.

I need to borrow your sage. I just had a smudge worthy guest myself.

NO MERCY!

1 Like

Hahahhahahahhahahahahhahaha. Girl you crack me up.

1 Like

Glad to oblige :slight_smile: You’re right what you say about spreading good energy and that it only applies to people who deserve it. Those guests who messed up but apologised and made up for it by amending their behavious/paying for the damage or whatever. They’re the ones that deserve the gentle review. Arrogant laptop user is not one of them and needs to be called out.

4 Likes