Guest unlocked a locked storage closet -- am I being too sensitive?

I need your opinion, please. A couple booked my apartment for 10 days. There is a closet that I keep locked and where I store extra towels, sheets, etc. I “hide” the key in an out of the way drawer under some tools and odds and ends. When I show the apartment to a new guest, I specifically mention that the closet is my storage area and I keep it locked.
The guest has had a dozen superlative reviews by other hosts.
Yesterday, after the guests had left, I went to the apartment with the cleaning couple. The storage closet was locked, and I unlocked it so that the cleaning people could take whatever they needed. I did notice that the key was not exactly where I had hidden it.
Once I checked the closet, I noticed a pillow that was not mine and some items out of place but didn’t notice anything that was missing.
I’m really disappointed because I think the guest crossed a line – am I being too sensitive?
I must add that I only allow 2 guests in the apartment (other than a small child) because it’s small and I feel that it takes away from a comfortable guest experience. However, a month after it was booked by the guest, she mentioned that her son would be staying just for the long Thanksgiving weekend. I told her that I did not allow for more than two guests, but she insisted so much and promised me that she would leave the place impeccable. I caved in and I should have known better. If she was not willing to accept my 2-people only policy, it was a big red flag that she would be doing other things that were not acceptable…I should have known better, right?

2 Likes

I would make sure to leave that information in the review, and also in the private message to her. It’s trespassing essentially. When people get pushy in the communication with booking, I more often than in the past decline their booking request. The problem I’ve been finding lately is not very good communication back and forth with guests, since COVID.

5 Likes

Aye, you shoulda, but at least it gives me an opportunity to post the late, great and talented Jimmy Diamond:

JF

3 Likes

Most of us have been there in one way or another. My policy going forward is if a guest asks for things that are not offered I will encourage them to find another place or cancel them myself as uncomfortable.

RR

3 Likes

You really can’t prove it was them. Were there other guests prior to their stay? Does the cleaning crew have acess to the key? Does your partner also know where the key is? How many other folks have access to that closet? I personally wouldn’t mention it in their review because you can’t be 100% sure it was them.

8 Likes

I have to agree.

I think the mistake is leaving the key in the apartment. I too have a locked closet inside. It’s labeled as “Owner Access Only”, it’s referenced in the listing and the key is in the locked garage.

Consider a lockbox if you must leave it inside (or attach the lockbox outside somewhere).

If you think you’re getting a 5 star I’d say nothing to the guest privately. It seems unfair to say anything publicly (in review) unless you are 100% sure she did it.

5 Likes

My new favorite lines for this kind of thing are:

Thank you for considering my rental. Unfortunately this listing does not meet your needs. Airbnb has thousands of listings in this area. I’m sure you will find one that will fit your needs perfectly.

5 Likes

This feels like cleaning team stowed a pillow left by a guest & looked around a little.

Don’t mention in the review but really unknown who did what.

About the key—I have an owner’s closet key in a plastic box in the storage room. It is with a couple extra parking passes, condo keys & gate cards. The key is not labeled. Hidden in plain sight…no problems in 6 years.

The extras are in case someone accidentally takes a key/gate card combo or parking pass home.

@Ritz3 @aelilya No, it could not have been anyone but the guests because I’m the only one, besides the guests, who had had an extra apartment key (the cleaners do not have keys) and since I’m the one who welcomed them to the apartment and then the one who returned to the apartment with the cleaning people after the guests left, nobody else would have had access to the apartment.

5 Likes

@Annet3176 The pillow placed in the storage room was not the “normal” kind of pillow; it was a huge pillow with arms that people place on the bed to read – not sure if I’m explaining clearly, and it was not there before the guests arrived; it’s huge and not something I would have overlooked prior to their arrival.

1 Like

Gotcha. I’m sure you’re right. You have to do what will give you peace about the situation. I just would not say anything about it to the guest until after they review you or the review window expires (or not at all). Why risk your review unless you feel you’re owed some compensation.

Those reading pillows aren’t super cheap…maybe karma for them doing a no-no & they won’t ask for it and out themselves (or if they do then you have an admission of guilt :wink:)

I’m still of the mindset that if the rest of the stay was great/normal I’d file it under “experience” and put that key where guests can’t access it.

2 Likes

Take a photo of it, send the photo to the guest and ask if they left it behind, but don’t say anything about the storage room. If they say it’s theirs, you’ll have an admission of guilt.

It’s a mistake to leave the key where it is accessible to guests. That’s practically an invitation to use the key. I understand it’s probably not convenient to take the key with you, so maybe replace the lock on that room with some type of keyless lock.

10 Likes

@Brian_R170 Brian, you are absolutely right; just because it never happened before this incident doesn’t mean I should be careless and leave the key “hidden”.

@Aelilya oh yes, you are right, I will not say a thing until the very end; or I might just use it as a learning experience. I gave the reading pillow, as well as the large assortment of ice cream the guests left, to the cleaning people…

4 Likes

She went into a locked cupboard. She had found the key. (I too tend to poke around when I’m paying a lot of money for accommodation). Nothing was missing. The pillow thing baffles me though and we might never know.

But there are several legitimate reasons why she might have a) come across the key and b) looked in the cupboard. She might simply have been looking for something and didn’t want to bother you.

Because the key was in a drawer with tools, maybe (this is a daft guess) she was looking for a hammer (to crack a coconut?) “Oh dear. There’s no hammer. I wonder if this is the key to the locked cupboard? There might be a hammer in there.”

Whatever, I don’t see that any damage has been done.

I wouldn’t keep tools and odds and ends in the rental. I wouldn’t keep the key to the owner’s closet in the rental either. Those things are asking for trouble really.

3 Likes

@jaquo Jackie, one thing that might have compelled the guests to open the closet was that they wanted more towels to replace the stack of blue tinted towels that I found in the closet. I suppose the guests inadvertently washed my pristine white towels with something blue and to cover up the deed they replaced the tinted towels for white towels so that I would only find white towels in the bathroom once they left. The towels have been soaking since this morning in my home, and I’m hoping I can get them white again.

2 Likes

If they were washed or dried on anything other than a cold setting, then it’s unlikely they’ll recover. Despite what I said about the key, it seems that it’s the washer that should be under lock and key. :slight_smile:

Fortunately ours is. It’s in a shared laundry room that never used to be locked. But years ago a ‘helpful’ guest put the duvet, complete with cover, in a hot wash. It look ages to disentangle them. Now, guests have to ask me for the key.

@jaquo Jackie, you are right, I’ll probably have to replace the towels…last time my towels were ruined and turned pink was when guests placed a red wool blanket in the washer along with white towels and bedding… My mistake and I will never again leave anything red in the apartment…

2 Likes

The only upside of that scenario is that they can be used in your own home, and then if they get a bit ratty, cut up to be cleaning cloths. And the guests have lovely new ones which you can claim as business expenses.

If I have towels aren’t good enough to be used at home but too good to be cut up, I give them to the local animal hospital. They always need them and animals don’t care about stains.
:dog:

7 Likes

That’d have been a sight worth seeing :wink: and I’m sure accompanied by a dialogue worthy of a Barnsley burd.

On the rare occasions when I have to get involved with washing, as in actually washing our guests dirty laundry, I’m sure I can hear the old wifeys from across the road laughing as I try to hang a double duvet cover correctly on our roof terrace.

JF

3 Likes