Guest tried to sneak in an extra person, complained about something that was clearly stated in my posting

So exactly like AirBnB’s review system then :joy:

5 Likes

Sure enough - this morning, I woke up to “Your Guest Is Requesting Money” to the following message (please note that the staircase was thoroughly inspected by my insurance guy in the past year and not a single other psrson has had any issue). So it’s gone from her concern about the staircase (which 80 year olds have no problem using) to cleanliness of the staircase (yesterday, according to Airbnb)) to now being threatened with legal action because she clearly didn’t read the house rules. Here’s what she wrote “The staircase was not disclosed in the listing with a picture. It does not meet the standard of a good staircase. You also concealed several critical information such as not allowing guest for several minutes. I will also ask for extra $1000 through Airbnb or legal action because I was cheated.” Also, please keep in mind, I VERY CLEARLY state in the house rules, listing etc etc≥ NO VISITORS OR PEOPLE NOT NAMED ON THE BOOKING/RESERVATION. And in the photo that she sent (keep in mind that her husband, who actually stayed here had told me he had no issues with with anything), and the photo they’ve attached has the stairway light off, so of course it looks dark and unsafe! Ridiculous! Thoughts?

1 Like

blimies
:persevere:

I’m sure you’ll be alright, but what a palaver

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s super stressful and not a nice message to wake up to, for sure! Plus am trying not to allow her threat of suing me make me upset. :persevere:

1 Like

someone’s having a laugh guv’nor.

1 Like

What are they on? Have you downloaded the Chrome attachment which allows you to automatically see the reviews written by the guest, of previous hosts, in their profile? There is a thread on it here somewhere. Very useful to see if this is a pattern of behavior.

I always check a guest’s previous reviews (but didn’t know that I could see what the guest had written about the host - silly me). Thanks for the tip. Final update (hopefully), I called Airbnb and of course they were AMAZING, helpful, supportive and kind. They said that they already told the guest that the guest broke the rules (after messaging that she had read and agreed to them multiple times in the Airbnb messaging system) and was not entitled to a refund and to read the Rules and Regulations that they clicked on when booking so that means they have no legal rights or abilities to sue me or ask Airbnb for even more money. Hopefully, that’s the end of it.

2 Likes

I have had a “final decision” from ABB that was reversed by a mgr.
Dont hang your hat on the conversation with ABB yet until it is all put to bed

1 Like

You know the forum well. :wink: And if not criticizing we will certainly let you know that we don’t agree with your rules or stairs or something. And we’ll offer suggestions where none were requested.

Thank you for standing up to the absolute PITA guest and for this:

This the is most obvious thing we can do to make Airbnb better.

Keep us posted on the ultimate outcome.

4 Likes

I know. I’ve seen it before. Hopefully the 16 emails that were exchanged prior to anyone’s arrival as well as all of the rule breaking afterwards (mine and Airbnb’s) will make it stick. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

:grin: Thank-you! I appreciate the support, for sure! I will absolutely review her so that hopefully, in the future, other hosts won’t have to go through what I have been dealing with!

2 Likes

Barns, I love your English phrases! The best one was, “she needs a right bloody bollocking!” Perfect.

1 Like

I wonder if this is the guest that just stayed with me? Jerks!
They were not older or disabled, right? So why the objection to the staircase?

There is a section of the rules (I think) that allows you check staircase and add how many steps.

But sheesh. The guest is an idiot, thinking you will just hand over the refund plus $1000. Would judge Judy award her $1000? :rofl::rofl::-1:

Decline. You don’t owe the guests jack! Especially now. But beware the bad review. It’s coming. If she doesn’t review you, wait until the last second to crack her.

2 Likes

@konacoconutz, you’re the best!

They’re in their 40’s maybe, from California. I have no idea why they objected to the stairs, except the husband didn’t turn the light on when he took the photo so they’re in shadow. It’s not a wide stair case so my insurance inspector said it’s okay not to have a railing if it’s all adults using the stairs (I promised that there would be no little ones staying here, it’s in my rules).

The section is checked off as well.

Thanks for making me smile. Judge Judy would have kicked them out of the courtroom and made them pay for the hassle!

I phone Airbnb and asked them to let me know when the guest’s chance to review expires. She’s going to look into it and email me back (because I’m at work) as it’s apparently different with a cancellation than with a regular booking. I received a message yesterday that I have (can’t remember if it’s 2 or 3) a few days left to review her. I don’t know if that’s the same expiry time as hers. Will find out shortly.

I declined and just wrote “Call Airbnb”. Air told me not to write anything else or deal with her. I blocked her as soon as it was cancelled.

I’d just like this done!:anguished:

Okay, so called them and they said this “The review period for both guests and hosts is 14 days. This time period starts 24 hours after check-out, or in your case, 24 hours after cancellation. The review period started on Sep 6, 17 3:39 pm PDT per the email notification sent. You should be able to leave a review up to September 19th.I am not able to provide an exact time where the review period will end but know you will get an email notification when you have 48 hours left to review Jodie.” So today is September 18th and I’m 3 hours later/ahead of PDT so can someone please help me figure out when exactly I should leave the review?

They did not really “object to the stairs”…they really objected to the son not being allowed.
But they knew it was in your rules and might not pass muster.
So they started with a hazard issue to get money back…dark and lack of railing.
They are savvy and will not let go easily.

2 Likes

@konacoconutz,
Yikes!I 'm having a hard time figuring out when the last minute actually is and don’t want to miss the window to review… Might you/or one of the more experienced (than me) folks about last minute reviews on here have a minute to help me figure this out? I have a feeling I have to do it tonight (before midnight) or tomorrow…Airbnb said the following today:

“The review period for both guests and hosts is 14 days. This time period starts 24 hours after check-out, or in your case, 24 hours after cancellation. The review period started on Sep 6, 17 3:39 pm PDT per the email notification sent. You should be able to leave a review up to September 19th.I am not able to provide an exact time where the review period will end but know you will get an email notification when you have 48 hours left to review Jodie.” So today is September 18th and I’m 3 hours later/ahead of PDT…would that mean that I would be leaving it at 11:59 p.m. tonight (Monday Sept 18th) or tomorrow (Tues the 19th) at 3:38 p.m…? Or another time? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The way I’m reading this it’s 3:39 pm on the last day.

Thank-you! Thanks what I think I’ve concluded as well but have been so frazzled by all of this that I didn’t want to make a mistake. So that’s PDT and I’m 3 hours ahead so tomorrow at 3:35 p.m. (6:35 p.m. my time) I will be pressing send! Thanks a LOT!!

Wait, you will go by the actual time stamp of the email in your time zone.
So for me it was 6:21 pm, HST. Go to the dashboard, Review this Guest, for that day and as the last hour passes you will see a numerical countdown begin. It’s accurate, I can attest.