Guest tried to sneak in an extra person, complained about something that was clearly stated in my posting

Then I think you should not have accepted the booking. It’s crystal clear to me that if parents are settling their child into school the child will visit.

I have refunded when there’s been a hard luck story in the past, for sure. But they had 3 months to cancel so yeah…

1 Like

Well, I’ve had other parent’s visiting their kids and it hasn’t necessarily been the case - but where they’ve asked beforehand, I had no problem with it (f the house wasn’t at full capacity and it was a reasonable request). It’s the assumption, perhaps.

1 Like

@Magwitch,

Thanks for your understanding. I’ve learned from past mistakes, not saying anything about it upfront has led me to feel resentful, frustrated and it’s unfair for the other guests,who then also want to bring in friends etc.

As a side note, when my child was going to school out of the country, and I went there for the first week - I never expected my child to be staying with me where I had booked, period.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are already doing all the right things and suffering, as we all do, from guests with SLB or Selective Listing Blindness. An affliction caused by them seeing a well appointed room/house in the perfect location and not being able to read anything else in the listing past the very reasonable price.

6 Likes

@KIKC, I KNOW! That’s what everyone says as well! I kept thinking “Let him go, lady.” Who knows what kind of hot mess this might have become, should they have stayed the entire time…

4 Likes

How about put their rooms on Airbnb? I have twins so they both left at once for university. Evil Mom. :smiling_imp: (Thought about it but didn’t do it.)

3 Likes

@JamJerrupSunsetm,

Thanks for your support! I’m definitely trying. Constantly updating my listings etc. I also have the rules listed in the guest binder in every room which is open to the first page and pointed out to every arriving guest (I deliberately put the wifi information towards the end, so if they don’t have cell access, they have to turn past the rules etc to get to it). : 0)

When my boys were on study abroad, only later did I learn I could have bunked in one of the dorm rooms because no one ever ever checked. But I still didn’t want to get the boys in trouble.

Can you imagine, it would be guilt for life!

"Mom, remember that time when you got me kicked out of my study abroad room because you bunked on the floor to save a few bucks on a hotel?!!! "

2 Likes

I would be mortified! They would use it against us for years to come!

Ha! : 0 ) I love it!

and got drunk and hit on my roommate…"

3 Likes

How does this work? Does each person need to sign in and out so that you know exactly who is in the house at any given moment? Do you really collect ages of all your guests? Sounds difficult for you to manage this much information on the off-chance that there is a fire.

1 Like

Well firstly I “say” that is the reason because people buy it. But also I can tell the fire brigade the maximum number of people that should be there. So if there is a fire and they get 4 people out safely and there are only supposed to be 4 people there then a fireman won’t risk his life going back to check to see if there is anyone else.

Except in Asia they didn’t have roommates! They were in single rooms, That’s why it even occurred to me to possibly sleep on the floor! But yeah funny thought, Mom going for the roomie. :rofl::rofl::sunglasses:

I’ve never met anyone outside of North America whose college dorms or halls of residence have two people sharing a room. Certainly not in either England or Australia where I have lived in college. I mean isn’t this just the time of your life when you want a little, errrm, privacy? The mind boggles. Maybe that is why AirBnB started in the US where the thought of sharing your private living space with a complete stranger didn’t seem so strange.

Perhaps because university in the U.S. is so expensive…?

Isn’t that like saying that if you stay at a 5 star hotel you have to share a room with a stranger because the rooms are so expensive :money_mouth_face:

What happens if you really don’t like your roommate? Do they have a review system? Can you cancel their booking and get someone else in?

2 Likes

No, usually if you don’t like your roommate, you call your mom and keep grousing about how they leave the overhead lights on, play their music without headphones, turn off your fan because it’s making too much noise or snore. But whatever you do, you don’t ever talk to your roommate face to face about what they are doing that bugs you. :rofl:

4 Likes