Guest stayed an extra night without booking

So a guest illegaly stayed an extra night at my unit. I contacted Airbnb and they said that they needed evidence which, I provided to them. ( the building concierge has a log of the guests when they check in and out) finally after a month of going back and forth they have accepted my claim and just saying that they will pay just for that one night extra. this in my opinion is absurd. The girl trespassed in my unit stayed an extra night without the owner’s (Me) consent and the only thing Airbnb is doing is just to pay me the extra night. I had to pay for my cleaner again and I want to be compensated.
Has anyone encountered this before? do you know if I can go to the police and make an official complaint against the guest and Airbnb? Do I need a lawyer ? I appreciate any tips you can give me

2 Likes

My advice is to let it go and move on. Your time is money too and it’s a waste of time to further pursue this.

8 Likes

I don’t think the police would get involved because technically the conflict has been resolved, you received payment for the extra night.

Get over it and move on.

Since you obviously don’t live there, you should consider one of the electronic entry systems where you can change the entry code at the end of each guest stay, and then assign a new number for the next guest. That way a guest could not over stay his/er welcome.

6 Likes

Did this girl move all of her stuff out and then come back after your cleaner finished the cleaning?

I think you have a bigger problem which is how to prevent guests from coming back after their stay is over.

2 Likes

Most guests are great, but some will absolutely take advantage if given the chance.

That’s why hosts need to have good systems in place.

Your best chance of recouping income is making them pay before they stay the extra night. That means an hour after checkout you’re knocking on the door asking why they haven’t left. Oh, you want to stay? Let’s get that paid right now.

What can you change in your hosting set-up to prevent this in the future? Exterior cameras? Smart lock that disables the code at checkout time? Cleaner changes code when they clean so old guests can’t return?

2 Likes

What exactly do you want? You already got paid for the extra night, is it the cleaning or some more?

Welcome to our forum. You absolutely must protect yourself and future guests. I was going to add “put it in the review”, but until that issue is resolved, everyone is exposed.

Imagine if you had booked the night she stayed!

Welcome to the forum, where you will get the tips, ideas, feedback, and support you need. It comes with a lot of snark and blunt chat, a lot of differing opinions based on country of origin and type of accommodation you have.

But you will get answers.

The best one here: Get over it. You got paid for an extra night. You’re out the extra cleaning fee. We’ve all been there.
Now the important part: You’ve been given great advice that is tried and true on how to stop this from happening going forward. Doorbell camera, keypad entry to the lodging that gets changed at checkout time (either remotely by you or by your cleaner).

And speak to your cleaner - how come they didn’t kick her arse to the curb? Your co-hosts, cleaners, and maintenance people are your eyes and ears and support team if you’re remote. Write down the rules for them and have them sign them. There are great threads about that here. Spend about a week 24/7 reading them all. :wink:

And read your Air TOS. That is full of great info.

1 Like

You might have one last run at Airbnb CS – citing the TOS, under Section 8.2 Booking Accommodations, inform them you are asking the guest for an additional night’s accommodation under the following provision that the guest agreed to upon booking. Then contact the guest on platform, again citing the TOS section, and follow up with Airbnb if guests don’t respond or won’t pay. If another booking wasn’t “impacted,” per the TOS, and Airbnb relies on that “may be limited” clause, ask for the additional cleaning fee. Couldn’t hurt.
Side note: Interesting that Airbnb TOS seems to allow the guest to overstay by any amount of time less than 24 without backing up the host on charges, eh? Another reason to put a late check out fee in your house rules, then it becomes a rules violation.
8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host’s consent (“ Overstay ”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, " Overstay Fees "). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

3 Likes

Good to know. I’m off to add late check out fees again. :wink:

I’m a bit puzzled by this and can’t see how it could happen that a guest stayed a whole day over. Of course you have no recourse against the guest or Airbnb. It’s your responsibility to run your business properly.

I can understand a host or co-host being half an hour late to the rental after check out. Or even an hour if their car have broken down or something. But I can’t understand what happened here.

What the OP hasn’t explained is what the check out system is. Who changes the keypad code after check out? Who checks the apartment when the guest has left? Or if there’s no keypad, who does the guest leave the keys with? What did the guest say when challenged? What happened about the incoming guest? Did the concierge not alert the host to the fact that the guest was still there?

Also. I’m not sure what the OP wants exactly?

4 Likes

I want to like that 100 times. It’s more important to figure out what went wrong and keep it from happening again than to worry about recouping a cleaning fee (or whatever else the OP thinks they are entitled to).

4 Likes

Hi
Thanks for the info.
Just want tonknow where should I put this extra info? Under the house rules? Include it in Check-in/out instructions? In the deposit?
This is very helpful thanks

He was quoting the Airbnb Terms and Conditions (TOC). So, you should be able to call them back - and quote this to them - and maybe get more money.

But what you really need to do is make sure that you or someone else changes the code - On Time - Every Time.

We like using a code that matches part of each guest’s phone # - so easy for them to remember. And we always have it written down and emailed - in case Airbnb does something funky and we can’t see the booking info.

I’m confused. You say that they did pay for the extra night.

You say that you had to play for your cleaner again - so did the cleaner arrive on the day that the guests were due to leave and find that they were still there? What about the keys? Were their belongings in the unit?

If people have not left when my cleaner arrives, I immediately get a text to say “people have not left” or “people’s things still here” and then I can call the guests and ask them why they haven’t left.

But as some others have said, if you are not out of pocket, except for the cleaner, why not just move not, and work out how to stop it happening in the future.