Guest "let's" herself in at 5am on day of 3pm checkin, then complains the place is not cleaned

Make sure you report this to AirBnB right away and have them agree to remove her review if she posts one.

Oddly the average Canadian would say Russian and Ukranian are definitely European . Someone from the UK is not European!

1 Like

Yes the UK is an outlier in Europe for other reasons, like being an island and history.

Cats and Pigeons come to mind!

Of course we are, just as anyone from any of the other islands in Europe are such as Ireland and Gibraltar are.

Gibraltar is not an island :wink:, it’s a peninsula.

1 Like

You’re right :slight_smile: However it’s still part of Europe.

Both former colonies etc. of the British. I think our Victorian empire activities separated us from our neighbours. It wasn’t so long ago we used to refer to ‘The Continent’ for mainland Europe, some still do. I am not surprised some nations perceive us as not being in Europe.
However Britain is within spitting distance of France, Germany etc… This is evidenced from our language which is roughly half Germanic half Romance due to all the invasions etc.
The Slavic nations to the east have a completely different language branch and history (more allied with the Byzantine empire), so geographically part of Europe but culturally very distinct.

Not sure what you mean by “we”. All I know is that “we” dont consider the UK to be Europe.

And that’s likely a cultural separation more than a geographical one.

When traveling, we usually make the distinction…“going to Europe” or "going to the “UK”.
This also may be because we are a British Colony.

Yes, we are. Definitely.

1 Like

Those of us who live in the UK of course :slight_smile:

Yeah, I figured. I apologize. I went back to read my msg as I didnt understand what you were referring to. I then saw that my msg does come off as a bit snarky!

It’s just perception really.
It could be because my parents were immigrants and I am the only born in N. AMERICA. But growing up, I was never advised.any different. And fellow Canadians appear to classify the UK as it’s own separate entity as well.
We simply don’t view the UK as part of Europe.

d[quote=“Helsi, post:92, topic:26918, full:true”]
Those of us who live in the UK of course.
[/quote]

You checked in all those places at 5 AM? I guess I’m too shy &/or a rule follower to even think of asking for a 5 AM check-in. Maybe noon at a regular hotel that has a 3 or 4 PM check-in but 5 AM I wouldn’t dream of asking. I might ask them to hold my luggage.

I don’t know what y’all are smoking, but both the U.K. and the Ukraine are definitely part of Europe!!

3 Likes

You are too shy to ask receptionist at hotel if you may get a room if it’s available?
You know they don’t really care… They just follow hotel policy. If management doesn’t mind they will put you in that room at 5 am without problem.
To answer your question only Novotel I checked in around 6 am The rest were before 10 am. The most memorable with Airbnb was hostess in Milan once who picked me up at airport at 3 am and let me checked in at 6 am as soon as previous guest left. No extra charge for extra day. I was so gratefull and I just slept for 8 hours .

1 Like

I guess I would assume it wasn’t possible long before that point; therefore I wouldn’t even be showing up at a hotel at 5 AM; I would arrange my travels to conform with typical check-in times. That’s just me though. Maybe I’m not assertive enough.

Not sure what other arrangements you can make but sit at the lobby or airport.

1 Like

@Arlene_Larsson I think you are like the vasty majority of people who stay in hotels. You plan your travel to arrive in line with the hotel’s check in time. You don’t assume you can have an early check in without paying for this service.

If I wanted an early check in, I would see if the hotel has an early check in rate - often you can pay for a half day.

For example Travelodge’s offer this https://www.travelodge.co.uk/about/extend-your-stay/

Or I would go and have lunch somewhere or look around a museum or gallery if I was arriving early.

Personally I wouldn’t risk showing up about seven or eight hours ahead of check in and assume I would be allowed an early check in without charge, or in fact at all.

eh, I don’t think thats true. Most do indeed think and associate Ukraine with what it is: Eastern Europe.

1 Like