Guest "let's" herself in at 5am on day of 3pm checkin, then complains the place is not cleaned

I’m sorry you feel you will be criticised, let alone for poor cs, which you are not responsible for! To me, your response is perfect and beautifully simple, and sums the OP’s situation up with much needed clarity.

2 Likes

Thank you Joan. I see from previous posts that you are also a retired Health professional. Maybe all those decades spent dealing with patients who try to manipulate the system has given us similar outlook.

2 Likes

The only problem with that is that it would rule out hosts like us who don’t advertise flexible check-in but do allow it when asked and if it’s viable. We almost always leave a full “preparation day” between guests so in fact we can usually take early check-ins without inconvenience. We say in our welcome message that our check-in time is 2pm but that we “may be able” to accomodate an earlier arrival, my reasoning being that guests then are grateful that we’re being helpful and doing them a special favour rather than just something routine!

1 Like

Are you a retired nurse? :slight_smile:

No a retired Pharmacist.

1 Like

From Wales?

Scotland but English having said that my mother was born in Margam!

Ah ha. I was thinking of how in Wales they say John the milk for the milkman and so on!

It started I think with Dylan Thomas in Under Milk Wood

1 Like

On what basis did Air refund her? That just doesn’t make sense. She wasn’t supposed to be on the property until her contracted time. You would have the proof of this in your communications. I don’t get the piece about cancelling the cleaners either. It was hours later and it needed to be cleaned no matter what…

Why is she going to take up anything with the resolution centre? She was only charged a nominal amt for cleaning and received a full refund. That would be a waste of time. And headache.

Exactly! Ummmm has the sun even risen yet? I’m thinking I live close to the OP and the answer is NO. This guest and her entitlement has my blood boiling. Thanks @SnowyPeaks for posting. I will no longer be lax EVER on my backdoor locks.

2 Likes

If she doesn’t review you, be sure to wait to the last day to review her. The deadline is 2 weeks from the time you get your first “please review X” email.

Although the Ukraine is geographically on the edge of Eastern Europe, your average person on the street in the UK would associate Kiev and the Ukraine with Russia culturally, not Europe. Obviously it also is not in the EU. As I type this my predictive text concurrs. However any right thinking person would of course support independence.

Russia is Europe.Eastern Europe is Europe.Europian union is an invention of past 20 years. Countries that don’t belong to European Union are still Europe. I didn’t know about existence of am and pm until I immigrated to US. I am not sure I am understanding , what does my country of origin has to do with am and pm times ?

You argued with me and said you could comment on European knowledge of am/pm because you were from Europe. I let you know the average UK person does not consider the Ukraine to be European. Culturally and historically the Ukraine is considered more aligned with Russia. The average person in the street would (incorrectly) say Kiev was in Russia. It is a technicality that the Ukraine is geographically in Eastern Europe. Of course it’s now right it be seen as independent.
The EEC was founded in 1957. The UK joined in 1975. The change of name to the EU in 1995 was a technicality. It’s been around far longer than 20 years.

Hehehe. I never heard of anything like this . Are you sure that average UK person think Ukraine is part of Russia? I met some people who made me.laugh by asking if I speak German because I speak Russian . But that were just few ignorant people . Most people i met know that Ukraine is Ukraine and Russia is Russia.
It doesn’t matter what average UK person thinks of Ukraine whether it European or not. Even if they think it’s part of Russia and Russia is Europe which makes Ukraine a European country. But again what does it have to do with my knowledge of how it is in Europe?
Yours or average UK person opinion of me not being European doesn’t change the fact that I am one

1 Like

Ukraine is in Europe geographically, but it is not considered part of Europe culturally. As you say most people speak Russian although that is probably changing as English is considered more aspirational. Knowledge of things like time, am/pm and British customs are cultural factors, not geographical factors. Ergo being Ukrainian doesn’t give a special European insight.
As it happens all of the many guests who most people would consider European: Greeks, French, Portuguese etc. have no problems with am/pm in my experience anyway.

1 Like

I don’t even know how to respond to this,I am sorry. Let’s close the topic

No, they don’t think this. We know, particularly from recent events, that Ukraine is part of Europe, not even a Russian satellite state but not part of the EU. What many of us, of a certain age and above, also know, is that Ukraine was part of the USSR, with all that entailed at the time and the obvious cultural influences.

I have laughed though. I don’t think I could work out the 24 hour clock until I was forty. I had to count on my fingers to get it, even coming from a military family.

Hopefully this ends the debate on a lighter note.

1 Like