Guest "let's" herself in at 5am on day of 3pm checkin, then complains the place is not cleaned

Hi Yana: I do think you valid point about them being guests and us being in the hospitality business. I try to let as much go as I can for that reason. The reason for cancelling the cleaning service was that when I first reached out to her and asked to talk she said she was too tired to think which I understood and she slept until after 1pm. And I do think I should have clarified the pm/am, I was rushing and didn’t catch it.

2 Likes

You are totally hitting the nail on the head Gem20 - Thank You! She would not have asked if she thought it was ok.

But they do it shows the check in time for a listing on the listing so you know when you book.

Standard check in for the majority of hotels in the UK is post 3 p.m. I would say the vast, vast majority of guests here would know that check in will be at some point in the afternoon.

On mine as part of my IB conditions you need to confirm on booking that you agree to my check in times.

2 Likes

It’s obvious to me the previous guests will be allowed to finish their sleep and pack, then cleaners will need time to do their job. Why a guest would EXPECT an early morning check in is baffling, the world is full of tryers I guess.

3 Likes

I am solely talking about a filter.

They let you filter for ‘buzzer/wireless intercom’ and ‘indoor fireplace’, but try to filter for listings that allow say 10am …just because my plane arrives at 8 am…

1 Like

Most hotels don’t check in until the afternoon because of practical reasons. Travellers know this and normally occupy themselves for a couple of hours.

1 Like

I use to accommodate very early and late check outs but no more. Anything more than a few hours and I offer a discounted overnight rate.

3 Likes

I personally would clean the place myself since the cleaning service is not available but I would remind her that her checking in so early caused the issue.

2 Likes

Clean at 5am?

Not at 5am but at noon or there after.

No helpful host action can compensate for a terrible, self centered guest like this. I don’t want guests in a room before I have cleaned. The only thing for her is hard boundaries!
I do agree often cleaning yourself is more efficient.

2 Likes

thats a bad story but it gets much worst that than. I try to get rid of guests that are bad news. life is too short . We are inviting people we dont know into our homes, that creates anxiety and when it goes bad, its bad. send them to a hotel , they want everyone

1 Like

I am sorry that you are going through this. However the prospect of accommodating this person for a week is … uncomfortable.

Please call Air and discuss it with a view to removing her immediately, noting her obvious discomfort, plus her obvious lack of respect. Sweetly discuss finding another place for her to go.

PS - Between me, you and the keyboard, it’s a $5 bet that she won’t want to leave. You can only push around so many hosts.

3 Likes

She already did leave and wanted refund

If you have not reviewed her yet, give her the bad review she deserves and report her to Airbnb for not only breaking your house rules, but entering your home illegally! This is not the behavior of a safe guest and Airbnb and other hosts need to know this information.

2 Likes

AND you should notify Airbnb support of the issues you have had with this guest from the start so that you can head off any negative reports she may give about your listing and any potential refund she may request. I personally would not feel safe if a guest entered my home as she did, which, I believe is automatic expulsion from Airbnb.

2 Likes

Actually in a situation like this, i would have held clear the air talks with the guest. I once had a heated dispute with my landlord and we were shouting. But in the end, we sat down, talked through, and resolved it amicably. It could have been as simple as “I know we started on the wrong foot, but we genuinely thought you would be coming in at 5 pm… is there anything we can do to make you feel better etc.”.

How did it end eventually?

2 Likes

Status Update: I have turned down her request for a refund, and sent her a message asking very nicely why she believes she is entitled to one as she left in spite of us giving her everything she asked for, except the parking, which violates our house rules. She has not responded. Airbnb issued the payout minus cleaning. I don’t know whether or not she will take this up with the resolutions center. She has not written a review, but the deadline is not up yet. Meanwhile we are interviewing for a long term renter for the space for at least winter as I am a little burned out on the whole vacation renting thing. But nothing has been decided yet. Thanks for all your feedback. I will keep you posted. btw - does anyone know if there is a deadline for a guest taking up an issue with the resolutions center?

1 Like

That’s a good question. I don’t know the answer. Let us know when you find out. So many things are at Airbnb’s discretion that I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no set limit. Just like the “let us know within 24 hours of discovering the issue” but they don’t abide by it.

I know I will probably be criticised for " poor customer service" but to me this is simple. Her contract with you did not start until your advertised check in time so she has no right to be on the premises. I would have contacted Airbnb and asked them to tell her to repect the contract and remove herself from the premises until check in time.

7 Likes