Guest "let's" herself in at 5am on day of 3pm checkin, then complains the place is not cleaned

Yes but they usually understand the system well. Alternatively they use the 24 hour clock, either is fine. Anyways this guest was obviously taking the rise turning up at 5am. Everyone knows that is when the previous guest is likely to be in bed.

1 Like

This is what doesn’t make sense. Why would she consciously come to the house tired after long trip only to find previous guests?

It’s because she in her mind knew that all is ok with her 5am arrival. That’s why she called repeatedly not understanding why she is not being answered as to her knowledge she was allowed to check-in at 5 am

I think a traveler arriving at 5 am to a hotel or airbnb without paying additional is totally “out of line”.
Having followed your comments for a couple of years, I find that we come from opposite mindsets regarding the Airbnb experience and probably the entire travel experience.
Nobody should expect to check in at 5 am anyplace for the same fee as a standard arrival time.
This guest is a manipulating thief. She managed to wiggle her way into a free night stay.

12 Likes

I am not sure what does my style of traveling has to do with this post.
t’s not my opinion it’s the fact. My guests ask me all the time about early check-ins and most times I say yeas or tell them I will only know the day before if u have other guests. Noone should expect but everyone can ask. And this is exactly what this guest did : she asked . Many hotels don’t mind early check-ins if rooms are available or charge minimal charge
By now I am convinced that host didn’t understand that guest meant 5am.

The OP never said that the lady asked for early checkin. She just announced that shes going at at 5. If you’re arriving at odd hours you always make sure the host is ok with it. If OP’s checkin is at 2pm means she arrived 9hrs earlier!! And why did she messaged at 5am asking if she can go then if it was already “scheduled”? I do agree that it was sneeky!

5 Likes

That’s right, I just reread original post. So the host told her that they can accept her anytime after 3 pm. I missed that part . If this guests didn’t miss that part and said 5, then it’s indeed on purpose. It’s just hard to believe that someone can be so conniving and silly at the same time. What If indeed another guest was sleeping there

2 Likes

@Yana, the OP’s message to the guest after booking was clear. And the guest’s behavior (texting at 5:00AM “asking” for early check in) also makes it clear that she was aware of what was going on and trying to play dumb.

@SnowyPeaks, I’m glad this guest is gone and you don’t have to deal with her. As well, you should NOT be giving her a refund. Keep calling Airbnb and be firm that this guest broke house rules.

And my apologies, I didn’t read the whole thread before responding to your post.

1 Like

The reason I mentioned your “style of travelling” is because I acknowledge that we come from different mindsets and regularly view things differently.
Not an attack; simply an acknowledgement.

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was an attack, still not sure why you brought it up. We all are different

Plus no hotel in the world would allow a 5am check in without payment!

4 Likes

Let’s see:
Brussels Novotel
San Francisco Fairmont. It was not 5 am,it was 8 am
Lisbon, EX
Kaskazi, Diani beach, Kenya
Marrakesh,Morrocco,Hotel Ali 7 am
New Orleans ,Hilton9 am
I can do more if I must

They must have given you a special.

I’ve never had to pay for early check in. I’ve also been refused early check in but was always able to leave my bag for free. This was always with a hotel or apartment or home I found on the internet in the pre-Airbnb days. I don’t ask or expect Airbnb hosts to make the same accomodations. I feel that it’s on me to find the accomodation I need. In Salzburg standard procedure in 1998 was for the host to come pick you up at the train station at no extra charge but I don’t expect that everywhere I go.

And yet, for such a high point of contention … Airbnb does not offer the option of 'Check-In Time"

It would make searching for a nice place to stay so much easier … by elimimating all the listings from the search results that cannot cater to the desired check in time.

5 Likes

They definitely need more filters in search if they want to make booking more pleasant. But then all the hosts who don’t like that their place is eliminated from many searches will be crying.

1 Like

It’s a very important moment though. If someone looking just for that it would make search much easier. They can cry or be more flexible with checkins

1 Like

Yes. People don’t want to offer flexible check in but if they got less business because people are now booking the places with flexible check in time then they will complain. Just like hosts now who complain they lost SH, or they want the boost of IB but demand to screen their guests or now they have to compete with Plus listings or… on it goes.

Yep, but it’s an evolving business. I am also sure that many guests would use that particular filter, especially if they got burned on an inconvenient Check In time and all the hassle they endured because of it once.

All in the context of hosts being paid less and less and being expected to give more!

2 Likes