Guest left 5 minutes after checking in saying it was too small and not good value

Any answers from Air?

RR

Also from Wikipedia:
“In Australia “villas” or “villa units” are terms used to describe a type of townhouse complex which contains, possibly smaller attached or detached houses of up to 3-4 bedrooms that were built since the early 1980s.”

What I understand is that the word “villa” refers to the whole townhouse complex which is divided into several units, called “villa units”. You rent out a unit in the complex and not the whole complex. So if I understood everything correctly, the term “villa” is definitely wrong for what you are renting, and you should refer to it as “villa unit”.

Your attack on @Barns is quite ridiculous when he was just pointing out a possible error in your listing description. The fact that 117 guests didn’t care, doesn’t mean anything. Your guest was probably not expecting just a “unit”.

WE are definitely not combative, we are just trying to help.

EDIT: It’s like saying “Castle for rent” when you’re only renting a small apartment inside the castle. Maybe people who’s mother tongue is English, can tell me I’m right or wrong.

10 Likes

What you have described looks like this, except 4 units, not three.

You have also described the units as modest, even disappointing on the exterior and you manage the two center units, not the ones on the end.

If your listing emphasizes luxury and privacy and hints at wild romps in the spa and someone drives up to this there is a possibility they are going to be disappointed. Now as you have also stated you have 400+ reviews for these two similar side by side apts. and most people are happy.

So I really wouldn’t worry about it. You don’t have a question you just wanted to share what you see as being an interesting and instructional experience. Perhaps you should preface all such posts on which you don’t care to hear any critiques with some sort of disclaimer.

5 Likes

I wonder if a large part of the problem here is the disparity between the guest’s expectations and the beliefs of the owner?

And:

If the place is marketed to a couple, I wonder if the property owner doesn’t fully understand what couples want? They do not need a huge space in which to enjoy their activities. They don’t need a fully-equipped gym. Whyon earth they’d need a sofa that seats 8 people or an ‘island bench’ that seats 5 is beyond me. A large laundry and a large garage aren’t needed at all.

‘Luxury’ and ‘large’ are subjective terms. I have stayed in hotels described as ‘luxury’ (by real people - reviewers) and they’ve been quite revolting. A fluffy bathrobe and a chocolate on the pillow does not say luxury to me. It might to some.

The same with ‘large’. (And ‘beautiful’). To the guest, it might have appeared small.

The fact that the privacy issue was raised in the guest’s message makes it seems that they certainly had little use for the large laundry or the seats-eight sofa,

How much space do two people need asks the OP? It’s not a matter of space.

2 Likes

This is not the first time a large number of native English speakers has suggested to Poppy that villa is not the best term to describe what she’s offering. I don’t know what the reputation of this kind of housing is in the community where it’s located.

I very much think this is a case of the couple is having an issue but we have no way of knowing.

I was also wondering why a unit for 2 people need such large couches and dining area.
I think all they need is big luxury bed.

2 Likes

From what she describes, we would call this a townhouse or townhome here in Canada.

4 Likes

Except this building is single story. In the US and Canada ( and I think Poppy said Australia) townhomes have two stories.

The definition for townhome and rowhouse in Canada (my city anyway) is “A townhouse is when somebody owns a unit on shared property. A row house you own not only your unit but you own the land below it. It is a separate legal entity. Each unit requires its own sewer and water hook-up as each unit is entirely independent. For a townhouse development there would only be one water and sewer hook up for the entire development.”

So, we do have some one story townhomes, though they are generally the rarity.

Also rowhouses " are side-by-side units that share a wall and have their own front and backyards."

And Stacked townhouses “are stacked on top of each other, each with its own front door and private outdoor space.”

1 Like

I always think of a bungalow as being a stand alone, detached, single family house, albeit a small one.

If it has two stories and dormer windows, I’d call that a Cape Cod, though I think it’s a term only used in the US .

A Cape is what I have. The ceilings in the upstairs are on the low side and there are all these *^&%$$$$^ angles. I’m currently taking a break from painting one of the upstairs bedrooms…What an absolute PITA!!!
:frowning:

4 Likes

My grandparents lived in a 55+ community called XYZ Townhouses. All connected, all one story, but some units had basements. I wasn’t aware that town homes have to be 2-story?

In an unrelated story, my realtor friend has a listing for an old 1900’s brick Row home. The units, however are called XYZ Condominiums. Ha! I think that has to do with the HOA though, the HOA takes care of all exterior maintenance, Roofs, water, and landscaping, so kind of condo-esque, in that respect.

As an American, villa definitely means stand alone home or unit to me. I know you don’t want to belabor this @Poppy as you don’t think this is the issue with your guests leaving–but I was just curious if most of your guests come from all over or are they primarily Australian and should/would not be surprised by the attached nature of your Villas?

1 Like

Me either but Poppy stated this earlier in the thread:

Oh, ok I must have missed that. Thanks.

I realize you aren’t asking me but Poppy has previously said that her guests are almost exclusively Australians who come from a nearby major metropolitian area for getaway weekends.

I see. I suppose I could have found that in some other threads! @Poppy do let us know what happens with Airbnb and the $600! Sorry about all the musings surrounding your villa, but that is all it is… considering your situation from all angles.:blush:

Perhaps there is a clear distinction between ‘villa’ and ‘villa unit’.

1 Like

If I weren’t from Oz and booked your listing, Poppy, I would think it very nice I am sure but would likely be disappointed. In my head, I only imagine a Spanish type sprawling castle perched on a cliff by the sea, my hair windswept as my bosom heaves within my whale boned corset as I stroll the grounds with a lit candle, calling out for my lover. His name is Arturo.
Or something like that.

12 Likes

I have never heard anyone use the term “villa unit” in Australia, we just use the term “villa”.

As I said earlier the owner originally insisted on setting it up to sleep 5 guests, that’s why it is so spacious and fits so many people. The reason I mentioned it is because the guest had two complaints - that it was too small and not good value.

1 Like