Guest leaving due to noise. Feedback help

I don’t know why people think hotel rooms are quiet. I stayed in a nice midtown hotel in NYC once and a drunk guy knocked on our door at 2 am. Security came and got him. I stayed in a name brand chain last year and the guy across from me let the door slam every time he went in and out. A guest arrived much earlier than expected to my home because she was awakened at 4 am at her hotel in the previous town. I could go on but selecting the right airbnb is probably the best choice if one wants a quiet stay.

3 Likes

I’m in the country and sometimes things are not quiet. Once had a guest inquire if the room was insulated and had soundproofed walls. Decline.

1 Like

Happy I know you are joking here… but you cannot do this to yourself. Eventually you will doormat yourself into oblivion and burn out or stress out.

Hosts who are self admitted door mats will have a really really really hard time with this business.

Why?

Because the time will come when you will bend over backwards, give them the sun, the moon and the stars, sign over your first born and they will STILL crack you hard in the review… after everything you did.

It’s not a good feeling. I want to gently advise you to get firm now before this happens.

There is literally no reason to switch your life around or rearrange things like scheduled mowing because a guest thinks they deserve a soundproof room.

I would never leave a nice review for anyone who stormed off my property disgruntled over an unreasonable demand.

You were obviously upset by it, that is why you posted here.

I want to advise you to take charge here or you will not be a happy camper. Or happy frog. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Exactly… you said it yourself. So that’s why you were blindsided.

Earlier this year we flew from Kona Hawaii to Prague. Door to door it was well over 30 hours of travel. Our hotel was not “quiet,” as there were the sounds of the trams putting on their brakes, of guests walking around outside, of taxis pulling up. I heard it all and just relished the fact that we had made it, this was a place so exotic to us, and were about to enjoy the trip of a lifetime.

I didn’t book the room and tell the desk I needed it to be quiet because I am flying in from Hawaii.

Book the moon if you want soundproof. Life goes on while you are trying to sleep. It doesn’t stop so that your beauty sleep can go on undisturbed. :rofl::rofl:

I once hosted a horrible guest who came and complained that the wind chimes on the other side of the house were like a jack hammer and kept her up. Mind you, these were the tiny bamboo ones that just tinkle gently and were not even anywhere near her rental. I got up on a ladder and took all the wind chimes down around my main house.

The review?? HORRENDOUS!!! A red flag should have been when they arrived they told me their airport hotel in Honolulu was a hotbed of prostitution and very noisy. Well I know that place and it occurred to me that they were being hyperbolic with the description. The hotel wouldn’t last a day if they catered to hookers.

“So we are very glad to be at your house, where it’s quiet.” Yeah, hmmm.

Then the wind chime thing…I should have known. Felt like a schmuck for taking down all my chimes for this pesky guest who HATED me with a couple H.

some people should not travel if they cannot deal with ambient noise.

You’re right, that wouldn’t have alarmed me either. They probably wrote it in that way, because they got declined previously for other wording. If guest are that sensitive to noise they should use earplugs. This summer vacation I could hear my sister husband snoring from the livingroom, non stop and very loud! Next morning I went to the store and got earplugs.
There is absolutely no place that can garantee absolute silence at all times. And the fact that one of the guest was a host as well is pretty amazing to me.

In the text guest says they are going to drive back tonight after the concert. And they are having a lovely stay. Drive back where? Back to where they live?

Yup, they checked out at 11, headed to the city I’m assuming to spend the day before an evening concert that probably would have finished around 11pm, then drove 2hrs back to where they live!

I thought they’re probably lying about that, and had booked a place in there, that honestly probably would have suited their purposes better.
Maybe they realised that, maybe travelling friend got in her ear and said they didn’t want relaxing place so much as something closer to the action, and complaining about noise was a more likely way to get a refund then saying they stuffed up booking location.

Who would know.

Re burnout, I’m well on my way! before these whinger guests, I had my first 4-star review, I mulled over that for far too long! Then I had a young couple (not airbnb) who I didn’t like one bit stay for a week, they didn’t have a car and so slothed around my house all day.

It’s losing its gloss.

1 Like

yeh, but then you get the lovely guests and it helps get over the bad ones.
I just had a gorgeous older couple from Ireland. The man was a gardener back home and missed gardening so he watered all the pot plants around my house every morning for the 4 days he was here.

4 Likes

I have a feeling this was more about them not necessarily needing the second night since they would only be two hours drive from home.

Or, like you mentioned - they wanted to be closer to the action after the concert.

1 Like

Isn’t that the cutest!

Guests like that make it very worthwhile.

I also find seeing the house and location through the eyes of some of our guests makes me realise what a special and somewhat unique place I live. So there’s that

Yup, that’s what my partner thought too

1 Like

Notice how they needed a a ton of peace and quiet in the lead up to the concert.

Next time book the mausoleum!!!

3 Likes

@Happyfrog, kona is so right about not being a doormat. It will destroy you in the end.
There are several threads/posts on here about the dangers of Doormat Syndrome. Essentially, guests do not respect you when you bend over and cater to their every whim. It’s true in Real Life (!) as well. Be fair, firm and consistent. That gets respect. Do favours for guests if you really like them but make sure they know it’s an exception.

2 Likes

I teach school K-12 and this is also true of kids. They immediately know what teachers or subs they can run roughshod over.

Three words…

Take charge here!

2 Likes

So I finally left my review, I was sick of writing and re-writing it, so just wrote it and bang! posted. Off my chest now

I really thought about it, and put it down with the feeling that I felt then and now - mildly pissy. I do have much more in the tank for guest’s who really deserve it. (If I could have left a review for my last guests ((not airbnb)) I would have unleashed the hounds there.)

Looking back, I regret the last 2 words, it was apart of the first draft I made and somehow it stuck around. Why oh why. Not needed or deserving. But I’m hoping other hosts can still look at it and make up their minds whether to host them, and be aware they could be hosting a flake or somebody who might be high maintenance.

They also left me a review soon after ha!

Mine:
Xxx and xxx were very nice, and they left the house clean and tidy on their departure.

Unfortunately, their stay was shortened with us as the daytime suburban noise was too loud for them for relaxing purposes after an international flight.

Our lawn guy did the lawns on a Saturday rather than the usual weekly Friday due to the inclement weather the previous day, this was their main issue we’re assuming as they spoke to him about it. We have all the usual and expected neighbourhood noise as well. It’s the burbs’.

So, communication of their requirements requires some improvement as we could have been made more aware of their expectation for quiet during daylight hours, declined their request and referred them again to the potential for noise disclosure outlined in the listing. (Fyi-Mowers have nothing on a teething 1yo between the hours of 2-4am!)

Other than that, all good. Would recommend.

Hers:
Had a gorgeous time staying here! Xxx and xxx went above and beyond. Highly recommended

Unbelievable!

Oh no!!! They left you a great review!!!

Haha. Oh no.
Glad i didn’t do scathing. Now I wish I’d had done “there were some issues but we resolved them” speel.

Oh well airbnb karma, i was messing with my prices today and took off my cleaning fee ($20) and thought I had increased my nightly price but didn’t, now both beds for $87 tonight :sob:

Red flags

8788A8C8-CA34-4C5B-BAC2-FEA161A8AECC

1 Like