Guest leaving due to noise. Feedback help

Thank you, you’re right. yes short and sweet is best- I owe them nothing, and have probably already given them to much.

Btw, what star rating do I give them? 3 or 4? I can’t think of the categories now but do I low ball them for this situation in the communication? And do I recommend them? (I feel I should know the answer to that but I’m looking for guidance from those more experienced!)

You don’t have to leave any stars at all if you don’t wish to. I wouldn’t.
If you leave the review too early and they have not left theirs, and the stay didn’t go well it will almost certainly prompt them to leave something bad.

It’s two weeks exactly to the minute of your first notification email about leaving a review.

You can watch the countdown clock they have on the dashboard for the last hour.

I disagree. I believe that people who have unusual needs such as extreme quiet during the daytime need to discuss this with the host before booking.

I know that many here blame the review system for our troubles as hosts. I believe that just as much blame goes to the current culture of no questions asked refunds. People are used to getting their money back if they are dissatisfied with a purchase even if there is nothing wrong with the product. They don’t understand that stores build this into their prices. Airbnb hosts can’t. I’m looking at you Bed, Bath and Beyond, Trader Joe’s and Costco.

3 Likes

Well said, thank you Ellen!!!

1 Like

6 seconds after I drafted the most scathing factual review I could think of, I receive this message from the guest :

Sounds like somebody wanting to extend an olive branch for review time.

1 Like

I actually :heart: the last line!

2 Likes

I don’t know. I don’t like the way she stormed out. She still stressed you. Stick with your review. Run it by us if you wish.

You do not have to use the word “recommend”. If you write something similar to what I did above, the "not recommended: is implied. Remember the public review is more or less for us other hosts, not the guest.

I’d give an overall 4 – it’s only a 5 point scale (one of my complaints with Air). Don’t down them for communication.

Right… do you really recommend? They were rude. I don’t see their message as much of an apology.

I don’t feel that storming out over suburban noise that is out of your control is very good communication, no matter how well she communicated at the beginning. It says something about her personality. I would not leave her good stars on anything. But that’s me.

Ok thanks, I’ll write it over next few days and swing by to test it out here!

1 Like

hahahahaha… quiet at an airport hotel???

So this is the feedback I want to leave, can you help me re-write it?

firstly:
-they were nice so I’ve thought about it and I really do want to mention that, I want to come from a place where I’m honest about what happened, and in all dealings they were perfectly nice, had they been otherwise I would be mentioning that so to me it’s only fair to recognise that

• I want to work in the mowing noise somewhere, as an upfront disclosure from me, as I feel their reply to me chastising them on not being able to cope with suburban daytime noise will be them having the last word on why that was (and maintenance to the property is something that technically I could control when they’ve requested a place to “relax” after a long flight)(even though no other lodging on earth would stop their maintenance schedule because a guest needs quiet time during the day)

"XXX and XXX were very nice, and they left the house clean and tidy on their departure.

Unfortunately they shortened their stay with us as they took issue with our mowing at 2pm on a Saturday.

So, communication of their requirements requires some improvement as I could have been made more aware of their expectation for quiet during daylight hours, declined their request and referred them again to my potential for noise disclosure clearly outlined in the listing."

I say right in my listing that if a guest is looking for total quiet, this is not the place for them, with several examples (parties, dogs, kids)

I’m sorry, we’re beyond that, I shouldn’t have to offer up every scenario that could occur, only display the facts as they are. We’re a young family, with neighbours, living in a capital city, who disclose there is a potential for noise from us.

99% of reviews acknowledge the peaceful area with little traffic, I can’t help the 1% of the time where this isn’t the case.

Let me pause just to appreciate this sentiment. That the forum is a give-and-take. Kudos.

Hmm. It still sounds like you are taking the fall for their unreasonable demands.

“If I could have been made aware” sounds like you are willing to let guests walk all over you if they would only let you know first.

Would you have moved the mowing day to another day had you known? I would not have.

Yup guilty! Nearly 30 happy guests without bothering to sign up, first sign of trouble and here I am! I will participate now i’m here though! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I’m finding it hard to word correctly for the right impact. I mean that had they made it obvious in their initial request that they’ll be requiring a total quiet space and would it be suitable here? I would have said- No I can’t guarantee! Because I wouldn’t want that on me.

Should I also add something like, if the guest’s had a problem with short term mowing noise at 2pm, how would they have dealt with being above a teething and screaming 1yo between the hours of 2-4am? (That’s never happened but that’s why the warning is there)

If they asked to stop the mowing? Yes of course I would have - I’m a door mat :joy:. But I’m working on that,

Expecting a sound proof stay sounds ridiculous to me, even if it’s in the suburbs. Hotel rooms are probably best for guest like that. If someone asks me questions about noise, I answer that I live in a city and noise from the street is audible. I rather not deal with people that sound unreasonable to begin with. Best book a hotel or a vacation in the country.

1 Like

Exactly. To me, it’s on them to read the description, look at the photos and ask any questions. I, like most hosts, would answer honestly as I don’t want it coming back to haunt me at review time.

They said they need a place to relax and shower early after a long flight. Nothing that rang alarm bells for me. Or that made them sound like they would be difficult .