Guest just put our address in her public review!

Just venting as usual. A guest gave us a great review, and the last sentence says she highly recommends …our entire address!!! :frowning: Not cool!!

You should be able to call airbnb and have that part of the review removed.

2 Likes

I would be happy if a guest does this.

1 Like

Why on earth would you want your address to be public?

1 Like

So potential guest can Google me and book direct.

6 Likes

What if it’s part of your home!

1 Like

Unless you are doing something illegal and do not want anyone to know, I don’t see the problem.

2 Likes

It’s called privacy. I don’t want randoms off the street knocking on my door looking for a room, or burglars casing the joint.

3 Likes

Like @Chris I also would be happy with this, I operate from my home and will take guests from anywhere. Usually when running a business you are happy with any, and all exposure that might increase turnover.
I’ve said it before and will again, every host in the EU is required by law to have there full name, business address and e-mail address on the listing. How airbnb get away with not enforcing it, I don’t know.

3 Likes

I am more choosy over those I allow into my home lol.

Why are you so keen on repeating this? I am pretty sure that only applies to registered guest houses or B&Bs anyway. Why have any nut job Googling your name, spamming your email or knocking on your door, particularly your own home? You wanna put your home address out there? Go ahead, don’t advocate messing with other people’s lives.
Obviously Airbnb is trying to protect hosts, and of course how on earth would they do business if the address were given out before booking?
Actually after a bad guest used my phone number for junk calls I advocate the choice of having the phone number scrambled as well. We’re not paid enough to give our lives or homes away, all I am offering is a room.

2 Likes

I just have to take exception to this. They are not trying to protect hosts, they are trying to protect their pockets for precisely the reason you stated.

I know this is a rhetorical question but they could operate on a subcription model.

3 Likes

Hmm…well for whatever reason, I didn’t feel right about it and I had the review removed. I don’t have a separate website so googling wouldn’t allow them to book direct.

2 Likes

From what I remember, it’s against the ToS to reveal the actual address (or something like that).

2 Likes

Yes it is, but they wouldn’t have noticed or removed it if I hadn’t called them.

1 Like

One reason I don’t really want the address out there is because the exterior of the building doesn’t look that great. If someone googles the address they might decide they don’t like it. Once they book, they are already sold on the interior photos. IDK, maybe I could have left it, it just didn’t sit right with me.

1 Like

Definitely safer to take your address off! There is some automation in Airbnb removing addresses etc…

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about my address being made public either. I don’t think a burglar would necessarily choose my house just because he saw the address. Or of he did, I’m sure he’d find somewhere easier to burgle on the way there.
Strikes me as a very similar fear, when a guest doesn’t return the keys, peoples instant reaction is “they’ll burgle me!” The guests you should worry about are the ones that do return keys, having made a copy at the local handy store, so as not to arouse suspicion.

4 Likes

In hindsight maybe I should have just left it. Oh well, too late now.

the pin to disable the alarm, now THAT would annoy me if published!

4 Likes

Not all of us have alarms. Forcing the publication of a host’s home address undermines the safety of lone females, the elderly etc. and can exclude them from hosting. Publicising someone’s address is unnecessary and a breach of privacy. May Airbnb’s policy on this matter long continue.

1 Like