Guest just checked out - helped himself to food from my refrigerator?

I’m not buying it either, despite what the other Airbnb said he knew he shouldn’t have taken the jerky. However you have let him know that’s unacceptable and allowed him to save face. I daresay he won’t do it again.
Most people are too polite about such things. I have a choice of about half a dozen cereals and let guests know they are welcome. However I notice when the packets get low noone wants to finish the box (even individually wrapped Shredded Wheat) because they don’t want to be the one to scoff the lot!

6 Likes

I love your correspondence with this guest!! Very professional but gave him an out. One thing I’m confused about is you said the jerky was left by a guest in your original post

But then said not left by a guest here:

So was the jerky or was it not left by a previous guest?

1 Like

@Arlene_Larsson - the mess in the bedroom was left by the guest that ate the jerky, not the guest that left the jerky.

1 Like

Oh, LOL, I get it now. I’m a little slow.

2 Likes

Yes! The jerky crumbs were left by the guest who took/ate the jerky that a PREVIOUS guest (a couple weeks prior) left in my fridge (not that the consumer of the jerky knew it wasn’t MINE) . . . I was just saying I knew it was this last guest, as I ALWAYS sweep/vacuum after each guest and would have notice the crumbs from the night prior’s guest. Sorry the jerky trail is so complicated - haha! It sounds so silly to recount it, but I was fuming this morning!

3 Likes

I would also be fuming but since he’s going to pay for it I guess all is well. I think it’s entirely possible that he stayed at another airbnb that said “help yourself to stuff in the fridge.” I’ve seen those kinds of listings. Still I’d be looking at the last place he stayed at to see if I could glean any hints. I hate a liar (and I admire Jacquo’s chill when it comes to decietful guests.)

2 Likes

I have separate fridge/cupboard spaces for guests but they still go in mine to look for stuff. I now supply basic cooking supplies as mine were being continually being used by guests.
A couple of weeks ago a lovely young couple asked me if they could borrow an egg. When I got one for them they asked me where they were and the way they asked made me realise they had had a good search before asking.
I have also just noticed that four towels have gone missing over the past few weeks. I have two rooms on the go so it is difficult to determine who could be taking stuff.

1 Like

Oh boy, hahaha! This cracked me up :rofl:

But seriously, I loved your message to the guest. You gave him and out of his possible BS and salvaged the situation. Genius!

4 Likes

In the UK that would definitely be polite speak for use my milk for a cup of tea or butter for your toast. It would never literally mean scoff the contents of my fridge. Brits wouldn’t in a million years experience expect anyone to be rude enough to eat their stuff.

2 Likes

I make it clear that guests are not welcome to rummage in my kitchen. I show them things I invite them to use, such as their fridge and the cutlery, prefacing it with ‘guests are welcome to use these bowls and plates’ or whatever it is. It is not their kitchen (mines not even listed), they are strangers, and opening cupboards is an intrusion of privacy.
Once a guest helped themselves to different bowls from another cupboard, and I tied up the handle with a ribbon bow. It never happened again.

2 Likes

I had quite a few guests who took our food and also food of other guests. One of my longer term guests once brought leftover of steak once,It was quite a big portion and someone ate it. He wanted to take it to lunch next morning, went to fridge and it was gone. At least he knew it was not us since we don’t eat meat.
Then there was Brandon, a 19 year old who stayed with us 5 months and who ate everyone’s food but ours. He never admitted he stole other’s food even when he was caught drinking out of someone’s milk container.
Then I had a guy from Canada who took a whole box of energy bars of my other guests with him on a plane. All 12 pieces . He didn’t even answered my email about it.
My present guest who stays with me for one year now once took a whole pack of expensive cheese and half jar of peanut butter.
When I asked everyone he admitted and replaced it and since then there were no episodes .He saidhe was hungry and too sick to go to the store.
Then newly weds who one night drank 2 bottles of another guest wine. Without even saying or asking.

2 Likes

And why was he allowed to stay so long, doing that to other guests?

He was not caught. Plus other guests were in and out. Also he never touched our food. May be he did it strategically,don’t know.

Update - here’s is his review, and 5 stars all the way:

“Probably THEE BEST AirBnB experience I’ve had, ever. Spotless, great host, fantastic local tips, very accommodating.”

And private message:

“You could not have been more accommodating, sorry again for the beef jerky.”

All in all, it couldn’t have worked out better! Well . . . except that he hasn’t come through with reimbursement - haha. I prompted him to “take care of reimbursement” through Airbnb’s send/request money feature. We’ll see!

4 Likes

Sends him the charge, if you haven’t already.
Makes it easy for the guest to pay.

1 Like

It’s hard to find the charge on Airbnb. When I send a resolution center request I tell the guest that the easiest way to find it is to check their email and use the link in that.

@Tishiekate if he doesn’t respond to the request for payment Airbnb should make good on it since he admits to taking it. I’ve sometimes had to request, wait and then bump it up to Airbnb but I’ve always gotten my payment.

3 Likes

Oh, come on … please tell me you’re not really going to try to charge him for this? You expressed your displeasure, he apologised profusely, he seems a nice guy and is unlikely to do it again. Surely that should be the end of it?

In any case, as I understand it, it wasn’t even you who bought the stuff - so unless you’re planning to compensate the guest who left it behind, wouldn’t you be accepting the payment under false pretences?

4 Likes

@Malagachica Unlawfully taking items does not sit well with me, and I share my home with the expectation that guests will treat it (and me) respectfully, leave it as it was found, and not take things that aren’t theirs. Honestly, if he’d just taken a handful from the large bag, I wouldn’t have know (my son had eaten a handful last time he stopped over, as it’s the same kind I usually buy him, so it had been opened). And, if he really, truly thought he had the green light to snack from my refrigerator, I probably would have found the empty bag in the trash in the kitchen, the guest room, or his bathroom. But . . . he took either the entire bag with him, already empty, or took the partially full bag along for his trip home.

Whether is was paid for originally by me or not, doesn’t take away from the fact that it was taken without permission. And, the chances of him doing the same to a future host, in my opinion, will be even less than just being confronted on it if he makes good on his offer to reimburse. I did not ask for reimbursement, he offered. And since he offered, I do expect him to make good on his word. Too many people these days have lost respect and consideration for their fellow man, and also to being good to their word. It’s on him if he comes through or not, at this point.

3 Likes

I would take this particular guest any day. I even would buy him the jerkey beef to keep him happy.

When I first read your post I thought you had a bad day. I have a different opinion about you as a host now.

Happy hosting to everybody!

Well . . . some of the wonderful things about Airbnb, @summerfun, are the myriad of hosts, hosting styles, locales, privacy levels, housing types, amenities, and price points. With all that we offer collectively, there’s a perfect stay (and host) for each guest! :slight_smile:

1 Like