Guest just checked out - helped himself to food from my refrigerator?

I had one man stay with me two nights while visiting his son (I list my spare bed and bath within my home, and I live alone). I just turned over the bedroom and vacuumed up what looked like beef jerky bits off the floor. Firstly, I have a no food in the room policy (so not to attract pests, and avoid major messes). Secondly, I got to thinking - I had a full bag of beef jerky in the fridge (actually left be another guest), so checked the fridge. Bag is gone. Checked the trash, no empty bag. Now, I wasn’t going to eat it anyway, but the fact that someone perused my fridge (in was in a drawer), and helped themselves has me ticked off. I do allow guests to use a portion of my fridge to store items if they wish, and also my kitchen for preparing meals if they choose, but my listing states that I don’t provide breakfast; only tea and coffee. Should I address this or let it go? It’s not a huge deal, but in three years of hosting, I’ve never noticed anyone else taking food/beverage. I should note, he has used Airbnb for travel before, so isn’t a newbie.

2 Likes

I would put this in the review honestly. Rummaging through your stuff is never good, plus he broke the rule on food in the bedroom.

4 Likes

If someone took and ate an expensive lobster or something that I’s planned to use for a dinner party that evening, I’d be annoyed. Although with a stranger in the house I would have probably put a label on the lobster saying ‘eat this and I shoot you’ or something.

But to take something I wouldn’t eat anyway? I wouldn’t worry about it. Just my way :slight_smile:

With homeshare though, I agree with @Jess - I’d be inclined to warn other hosts. It could be lobster next time!

8 Likes

I’ve learned to be honest for the sake of other hosts by this point, but my first thought was to be quiet as he’ll be visiting for the next four years while his son is at the university here . . . and I may have him book frequently. But then I thought, why would I want someone who’s eating out of fridge back?!? Thanks, Jess1!

2 Likes

Address it in the review. That is a nono to take the hosts’ food of it hasn’t been explicitly offered. I would rate him lower in ‘observance of house rules’ and mention it in the public part of the review. You don’t have to accept him back into your home if he wasn’t a good guest! You’ll get other guests who will book if he doesn’t.

4 Likes

Pretty entitled and juvenile on his part. Reflect it the review on house rules and at least privately if you don’t want him back. Once they cross a line, what else is possible?? He simply broke your trust. What would have happened if you took HIS food? The sky would fall.

6 Likes

You are so right! I realized this morning I’d left my work bag hanging by the entry with my wallet and deposit bag from my business (I usually bring that, my laptop, and such to my room each night), and believe that I checked the contents! I really dislike feeling distrusting of people . . .

3 Likes

One man’s jerky is another man’s lobster.

8 Likes

I’d send him a charge for it, and would do so before reviews are posted.

I would also message him saying, “I noticed my bag of beef jerky is missing from the refrigerator and found crumbles of it in your room??”

Doesn’t matter that it was left by a previous guest. He should pay for it.

Edited to add: Unless it was stored in the guest section of the refrigerator and he thought the last guest had left it for the next?

The only problem with this is it might prompt him to write a bad review.

2 Likes

guests have access to the fridge, maybe the supplier of the beef jerky mentioned to the eater of the beef jerky, that there was some beef jerky going for free.

Beef jerky.

2 Likes

Guest section of the fridge is outlined in my pre-check in email and upon the “tour” if I am home (he checked in very late due to a delayed flight, so no tour). Jerky was in the drawer where butter and cheese is kept, so clearly not fair game. And def not left by previous guest as I sweep and vacuum after each guest, even if it’s just a one night stay.

I am preparing a message which I will send through Airbnb messaging! He was a nice guy, and I would have welcomed him back . . .

Best to have a separate small fridge for guests. I have one in my utility. I stock it with milk, spreadable butter, jam etc. for the guests to help themselves for their breakfast. They have no excuse to go in my fridge!
I offer a shelf to each guest for their drinks and snacks.

5 Likes

Jess1 - so true about prompting a bad review! AND . . . he has 11 previous good reviews, so I would look like the one out of character saying something negative, I fear.

1 Like

If he admitted he took it and paid for it, I wouldn’t give a negative review and I would have him back, and would be very clear where the boundaries are.

Some people really are clueless. No need to over react.

2 Likes

I should add: I recently had a guest who took a pillowcase and a towel. I messaged him after check-out, he confessed he had taken them, paid the replacement fee I sent him, and afterwards we gave each other 5* reviews. If he hadn’t paid, he would have had a poor, thumbs down from me.

1 Like

TuMo - I’ve had a guest take the towels once, and thankfully caught it before they were too far out of town. He (they were in his luggage) had his girlfriend drive back and return them!

2 Likes

Here’s my message to him:

XXXXX,

I missed saying goodbye on this “Sleep in Sunday”. I hope you enjoyed your stay, and your visit with your son!

I feel a little funny bringing this up, but when sweeping and vacuuming the guest room earlier, I noticed some bits about the floor that appeared to be beef jerky upon a closer look. I tossed them into the trash without much thought, realizing not all guests read my house rules about no food upstairs, but when making breakfast this morning I noticed that the bag of beef jerky that was in the fridge was gone. In my three years of hosting, I’ve never noticed something like this taking place, but I always feel that being upfront, open, and honest is best, so I have to ask.

If I’m mistaken, I wholeheartedly apologize, but do feel like I need to inquire, because if it was taken/consumed, maybe my listing isn’t specific enough about guest access, and beverage/food that is/isn’t included with the stay, and I need to edit it?

It was truly a pleasure meeting/hosting you this weekend, and I wish you safe, and uneventful travel home today!

15 Likes

A lot of trouble will disappear if everyone learns to talk to each other instead of talking about each other …

I like what you wrote so much better than calling this over-step out in a public or private review. A little bit of education can go a long way.

He was a good guest otherwise and you would welcome his business again. Depending on his answer you can then make up your mind if indeed you want to welcome him back.

6 Likes

Annndddd . . . his reply:

“Oh crap, that was my bad. And I did not read house rules, also my bad. I will make sure to reimburse you. At last AirBnB, it was specifically stated to “help yourself” to anything in fridge, bad assumption on my part. I profusely apologize.”

Hmmmm . . . and entire, large bag of beef jerky?!? Not buying it, but appreciated his overall honesty and I let him know it.

My reply:

“XXXX, thanks so much for your honesty! I find that many ppl don’t read all the details, and I understand how different each Airbnb is from another as a 7+ year traveler with it in the US and abroad. I will proceed with a glowing 5 star review - I enjoyed having you and meeting you and your son, and if there’s anything he needs while here, away from home, don’t hesitate to ask. I have a few other university kids whose parents check in with me for different things from recommending a mechanic, a dentist, and more. Been a local most of my life, and as mom, I love to help!”

11 Likes