Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Guest inquiry, pre-approval sent , Air cancels after 30 mins.?

Hi, folks:

This might be as hard to explain as it is to understand, so bear with me…and feel free to give up halfway thru reading, or to reply with a “oh, for heaven,s sake,

1. I don’t do Instant Book
  2. 6:30 am Received inquiry from a seasoned AIRBB traveler
  3. I don’t even have my coffee til 7:30, so sent the Pre-approval at 8:30 a.m.
  4. the instant I sent the Pre-approval to guest A, AIRBB chimed and I read a Request to Book from guest B. Oddly, for a completely different kind of trip, but for the very same 5 day period as Guest A
  5. Waiting for a confirmation of guest A’s booking, I sent a “have to wait and see” to guest B, then jumped back to check messages. Less than 5 mins had passed between my response to Guest A and Guest B, during which time Air cancelled the Guest A inquiry (over-riding my pre-approval? How?). Guest A’ canceling surprised me as She and I were friendly & seemed a great fit
  6. Calendar free now, I Booked Guest B, who was thrilled.
    7 Within this minute Guest A sent a “I’m trying to reserve, but my Abb site seems “frozen”, please bear with me - she obviously hadn’t a clue that my pre-approval would - and did - turn into a cancellation , while she was struggling to book - this had been going on before I booked Guest B
  7. I msg her - with regrets and incredulity: She messages me back, upset: I only get 30 minutes to book?! What’s going on . I feel terrible for her, advise her to call Airbnb, then have them contact me so I can verify from my end.
  8. She declines, as she now has to scramble for an accommodation proximate to transportation, and to her venue - or rent a car.

…sorry, folks - composed the above a couple weeks ago & forgot about it. Trying to write a new entry, it seemed I had to cancel this draft first. I meant to, honest! And , yet…:crazy_face:

FYI, You can delete the entire topic yourself if you want.

@rubychix do you have a question regarding this or are you just venting?

Originally I think it was going to end with a, “has this ever happened to you?” and a “what if the guest hadn’t been so understanding” kind of open question- but I’ve forgotten and just hope it was a fluke…

Don’t feel bad for guest “A”. They could have sent a Reservation request instead of an inquiry. “He who hesitates is lost”

1 Like

I am on IB but when I do get an inquiry and decide to pre-approve I always tell the guest that I have IB and do not hold dates so your reservation isn’t confirmed until you accept the booking.

Also, it’s possible (but I can’t quite tell from your message) that Guest A had trouble with verification or payment and that’s why Airbnb cancelled this guest. If that was not the case and you wanted to hold the dates for Guest A you can always say block dates when you pre-approve.

I personally would never hold dates for a guests. They almost never come through and you are blocking it from another customer.

Thanks, all. Still getting used to all the variations. And thanks, PitonView - the difference between an inquiry & a reservation request is, I now see, the crux of it!

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!