Guest had friends set up camp in front yard and other dramas

“Recent research has determined the thermal death points (the temperature at which a bed bug dies) for bed bugs and their eggs. The thermal death point is determined by two things; temperature, and exposure time. Bed bugs exposed to 113°F will die if they receive constant exposure to that temperature for 90 minutes or more. However, they will die within 20 minutes if exposed to 118°F. Interestingly, bed bug eggs must be exposed to 118°F for 90 minutes.”
to reach 100% mortality.

Maybe exterminators have a vested interest in making sure people don’t try to kill the bed bugs on their own. In peak summer with use of supplementary heaters I feel certain I could get my guest room up to 120F for a day. But that would probably be a challenge for people in most areas of the US without rented equipment.

2 Likes

I never wrote or thought that (re washing the mattress pad). Like others, my point is mere that we view waterproof mattress cover (under the mattress pad) as essential. Same goes for waterproof pillow protectors. They prevent any number of issues.

1 Like