Guest Coffee- What do you look for? What to get? Do guests even care?

It’s interesting that people here say this a lot, but almost all of my guests have used the Keurig, even though I also provide a Mr. Coffee and electric kettle. Maybe it is a regional thing?

Let’s try this again, shall we? You appear to love taking a point of view based on belief and habit, then backing it up with unrelated info.

You CLAIM that "dumping coffee grinds is good for drains. Ok - fine - please provide any proof whatsoever to backup the statement. Thanks!

1 Like

It isn’t just my personal belief and habit. If you google it, you’ll find that there are those who say it’s fine and those who caution against it.
Here’s one that supports my experience (which may not be your or others’ experience)

“As a former plumber, I’ve never had to clear a drain because of coffee. Coffee has 2 properties, one little known, the other obvious.
Grinds are abrasive and can clean a clog just by abrasion. But, it also has a soluble, oily component— that binds to saturated fats that congeal in a ‘P’ trap. It is also biodegradable, so please flush your coffee down your drain. Much better than chemicals. Don’t wait until it is too late. Think of it as preventive maintenance.”

Here’s another:
" 30+ years working in the design and construction of buildings.

Answered Mar 1, 2019 · Author has 7k answers and 3.4m answer views

Originally Answered: Is it actually bad to flush coffee grinds down the kitchen sink?

Not in my experience nor my father’s. Between the two of us we’ve done it for over 50 years with no adverse affects on the drains."

So it seems it’s one of those things that some people have proof of no problem with, and other people may have proof that it clogged up their plumbing. I don’t think there are any conclusive scientific studies either way. In my case, I read a long time ago that it was good for cleaning the drains of grease, asked a plumber, who confirmed, and have been doing it for 40 years, with no ill effects. YMMV.

A “Quora Answer” is not proof. A person writing “my dad and I have done it for 50 years” is not proof. Belief is not proof. Habit is not proof.

Here is a google search for “coffee grounds are good for drains”. Please find ONE legitimate site that backs up your statement.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS846US846&q=coffee+grounds+are+good+for+drains&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi73YrkgM3nAhWJl3IEHU65ANYQ7xYoAHoECDcQJw&biw=1920&bih=937

It is very clear that you will ignore URLs that we provide to you. But maybe, just maybe, if you do your own research then you might rethink this “belief system” of yours.

For pete’s sake, I didn’t say it was proof. It isn’t my “belief system”. It is my experience over 40 years. If you had found that something worked well for you for 40 years, I’m sure you would be of the mind that it worked well.
I’m not “ignoring” URLs provided. As I said, it’s possible to find both viewpoints. I’ll keep putting my coffee grounds where they have never caused an issue and you can put yours wherever you like.

@muddy,

This is not the first time that you have made a claim, been unwilling to back it up, and unwilling to consider real facts, logic, expertise, etc. Perhaps you just like “spouting off nonsense”?

IMO, it is unethical to encourage others to pursue behavior and actions that can result in clogged pipes, damaged equipment, additional system load, etc.

Regardless, you clearly have “a fixed point of view”, which is the most immovable object in the universe.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile::slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I were to take issue with anything, it won’t be coffee.

1 Like

Put down the coffee measure spoons and back away slowly . . .

4 Likes

I rent a guest room with an en-suite half bath in my home.
In the room
I furnish: electric kettle, 2 little French press pots from Ikea (rotate -leaving one for me to clean), Trader Joe’s medium roast ( cheap for decent quality) an assortment of teas, sugar and a small empty cream pitcher with an attractive note telling them to help themselves to, or ask for, cream in the kitchen.

50% or fewer use it, but many folks mention how attractive & convenient a set-up it is​:wink:. Cute it is but, personally I would not find it convenient for my quick morning coffee. Perhaps that’s my devious plan. :smiling_imp:Plus, the “best coffee in Oakland” is around the corner, so why bother?:grin:

I agree! Just posted that that’s what I provide, and why, conversely, I love it!