Guest Coffee- What do you look for? What to get? Do guests even care?

Interesting to note here: When used I provide inexpensive Dollar store K cups they used them like crazy. I now provide a compostable pod with a better quality coffee and it doesn’t go nearly as fast. With the rare exception of those that seem to have a need to use every freebie provided. :roll_eyes:

I have a French press (cafetiere) and an electric coffee maker. I put Costco ground columbian coffee in one canister and Costco whole beans another one. They are labeled.

There is a small grinder, for those who want freshly ground coffee.

In the fridge is a pint of sealed milk and Mini-Moos (half and Half.) The half and half tubs are shelf stable, but I put them in the fridge in case people don’t know that.

I also provide a small teapot and loose leaf green tea. We have piles of green tea that we receive as gifts on trips to China, so I’m happy to get rid of it.

Also black tea bags and a few herbal tea bags.

So far, it’s mostly the ground coffee which is used.

I just can’t with the Coffee-Mate (non dairy coffee creamer powder.)

1 Like

I provide for making coffee:

1. A Kuerig
  2. A French press (cafetiere)
  3. A pour over carafe
  4. A stovetop espresso maker
  5. A coffee bean grinder

I also provide:

1. An assortment of K cups with light, medium and dark roast coffees, hot cocoa, and apple cider
  2. An assortment of coffee beans
  3. An assortment of ground coffees
  4. An assortment of teas (black and herbal)

I also have sugar, stevia and honey for sweetners, and whole milk and half and half (half milk/half cream for those not familiar).

I was floored when one of my guests contacted me to ask if I had a Mr. Coffee or some an automatic drip coffeemaker. LOL. I did have one at my house, as it happened, and I took it right over to her. She was an older woman and I think was baffled by all the new coffee technology and choices!

My experiences…none of my guests have been piggish and used all the k cups or even most of them; probably 75% use the Kuerig to make their coffee; maybe 15% use the French press; maybe 15% use the bean grinder; no one has used the pour over carafe or stovetop espresso maker; and finally, only two guests have used the regular automatic drip coffeemaker—which I left in the house after the one guest requested it.

1 Like

We use a bean grinder and a pour over each weekend morning at our own house, but Mr Coffee dripper when on vacation. I think your offerings are nice!

1 Like

At home my husband uses the French press or the stovetop espresso maker. That’s what he prefers, but he will drink whatever is available; he has to have a cup to kickstart his day, Now me, I’m not a coffee drinker much. I’ll usually have tea in the morning.

1 Like

For those of you supplying small amounts of “ordinary” coffee of good quality, check out the one sold at Aldi stores with the label “Classic”. It is the best everyday coffee I have had in 60 years of devoted coffee consumption. Since I live on site, I can refill the guest supply easily.

I supply a coffee carafe (electric), sweeteners, and always some form of “creamer.” Also 3 kinds of tea bags, electric kettle, tea pot, and a tea ball for those who bring their own loose tea.

1 Like

I love your coffee wall! It’s like functioning wall art!

I’m like your husband - I need a coffee before I can do anything. I love Airbnbs that have a nice brand of instant coffee as I cannot be bothered with anything else.

We live here and my husband (the coffee snob) drinks coffee from dawn to bedtime. He makes at least several pots a day.

We always have coffee on the counter in a Thermos carafe. He uses whatever designer coffee he likes at the time (Zabar’s, Love Buzz, Boston Stoker, a few others). He often blends beans. His coffee is strong and caffeinated.

He gets up before 6 each morning and makes coffee. The carafe is there, with mugs, spoons, sugar, etc., before guests get up.

We also have an electric tea kettle and a box with an assortment of teas.

We make sure guests know that real cream and milk are in the fridge.

No one ever complains.

1 Like

Lots of stuff provided, and maybe you just didn’t mention it, but “mini flavored creamers and powdered creamer”, but no real, unflavored cream?
Little known fact-dumping coffee grounds down the sink is actually good for your drains. The grounds don’t plug it up, like you might think- they bind to grease and scour the drain walls clean. I’ve been dumping coffee grounds down the drain for 40 years.

I am very happy for you that he has not clogged up your drains but you’ve been the lucky one. According to the plumbers that I know, this is not a good thing to do. As for your question regarding creamers, I actually don’t use the mini creamers anymore and we don’t use a Keurig any more because of the waste from the plastic capsules. I don’t leave real cream because we don’t have guests every single day. Right now we only get them, generally, on the weekends. I asked them if they would like me to supply them with some real cream, but so far none of them have taken me up on it.

Here is a link to one plumbing site regarding dumping coffee grounds down the drain and Google can supply many more. https://www.atomicplumbing.com/plumbing-news/is-it-safe-to-dump-coffee-grounds-down-the-sink/

Sorry but this is not great advice. Used coffee grounds can turn into a nasty sludge in your pipes, if not well-flushed out with lots of water. It also creates more work for the waste treatment plant. Please stop doing it.

Coffee grinds are wonderful for a garden or farm. If you do not need them they can be stored for someone who does - even if they get moldy that is still fine - they make wonderful compost.

3 Likes

Aren’t coffee grounds also beloved by cockroaches? I heard that it attracts them.

I can assert that this is not the case. Cockroaches do like most foods. Fortunately, they are not attracted to raw or roasted coffee, or to used coffee grinds.

They love nut butters and grease and most little bits of leftover food.

I’m on a private septic. So I’m not creating any problem for any waste treatment plant.
Is your daily mission now to find all my posts and criticize them?

I am not trying to be critical. Please understand that I am only trying to help you and our community. You wrote that “coffee grinds are good for drains”. I own a commercial coffee roastery, and have been roasting for some 14 years. So, would you please consider my point of view?

With sewer, solids create more work for the treatment plant. Depending on the house, the grind sludge might also build up in internal piping (not good).

With septic, coffee grinds rapidly turn into a sludge and settle to the bottom of your tank. These solids resist decomposing (not good).

On one hand, if you pump it out often enough, there may not be any actual harm done. Best case, one must pump the tank more often and this costs money.

Correct pitch is the biggest thing that keeps your pipes clean. After that, it is simply having good water volume so if there are solids being flushed that they remain “inside the water slug” and do not get left behind in the pipes.

As your house is custom built, one would hope that they did a perfect job.

2 Likes

Many garbage disposasl have been ruined by coffee grounds. Mine more than once!

1 Like

I have Nespresso machine with 4 types of coffee to choose from.
Im am always suprised how little my guest drink of it. They maybe have other things to do than drink coffee for example exploring the city.

And when I travel, I am suprised about lack of coffee. Have been traveling through AirBnB like 15 times and a rarely remember any coffee machines. (I don´t filter coffee when I search for listings so maybe its all my fault lol )

I have optional kettles and coffee makers for each room. I also have a coffee mill, and have never had a complaint about the coffee. And they love it when I use the French press.

Curiously, everyone without exception hated the Keurig. I had refillable pods and they STILL wouldn’t use it. Eventually I donated it to the Sally Ann.

I really am well aware of how plumbing works and was actively involved in my house construction, so I know exactly where every pipe is and how it is all set up. My kitchen sink drain actually goes directly out to water a part of the garden, as does almost all my grey water. So it doesn’t connect to the septic at all. Sometimes I toss the coffee grounds down the kitchen drain, sometimes I throw them in the compost, and I often flush them down the toilet, which does, of course, go to the septic. All I know is that I haven’t had to ever get the septic pumped out in the 12 years since it’s been built. There are various types of septic systems. Mine isn’t a tank. There is a pre-digester tank which filters out the solids and decomposes them, allowing only the liquids to flow into the drain field which is a large concrete block box with very thin spaces between the blocks.